Berk Bonebonce
Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
edited September 2010 in Pro race
Delgado.

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Delgado.

No, his win at the 1985 Tour of Spain left a bad taste. I liked his TDFs but the allegations of motorpacing made by Kelly at the Vuelta, the organisers depriving Millar of time checks on that same key stage...Delgado stopped Britain having a grand tour winner-would have been the only one so far and likely for a very long time to come. So...Delgado-corrupt!
  • If thats the reaction to Delgado then i hope no-one mentions that Texan pedaller...

Not sure i had any one hero, favourite riders would have been Millar and Lemond
  • Indurain for me :D
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Posters on my bedroom wall circa 1987 were of Sea n Kelly, Malcolm Elliot, and Andy Hampsden
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bill Wallace. Chuck Norris. Jackie Chan.

They were my childhood bedroom poster boys!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Dixie Dean
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Michael Jordan
    Mañana
  • I think I had posters of The Who and The Jam up when I was a kid. Wasn't a cyclist back then.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Gavin Hastings
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    Nigel Mansell
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Herrera, Fignon, Millar, Lemond.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Aberdeen legend Willie Miller :!:

Maradona - still remember watching as a 10 year old his wonder goal against England in the 1986 World Cup QF - his second one wasn't bad either................
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pantani
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Cycling? Robert Millar.

Non-cycling? Han Solo from Star Wars...
  • When I was a little-un, the books of these guys were alway on my library card:-

Cycling wise it was Nicholas Craine for his biking adventures- was truely inspired by the Journey to the centre of the Earth.

+ Doug Scott/Chris Bonnington to begin with for Mountaineering/climbing stuff.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Joey McLoughlin - he just loved to attack

1243424917ZA9ASNBYV5_2491_Joey_McLoughlin-200x303.jpg
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I have had 3 over the various phases of my life. Strangely they are all Scottish but I don't think that was any particular bias on my part.

Bobby Lennox - because he lived not far away and was a Scottish footballing icon.

Later on, in cycling, Robert Millar - always and forever in awe of him and his exploits over mountains.

G.Obree...for his tenacity and determination in the face of adversity - and that he was a world class cyclist didn't do him any harm!!

Special mention to Diego Maradona. A special talent and the best footballer I will ever see in my life.
  • Stephen Roche. 1987, nuff said.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Pantani on Deux Alpes in 1998 got me into cycling so I'll say him.
  • I had zero interest in sport until I was about 19-20 so no one.

My closest would probably be Robbie Fowler :oops:
  • Cycling - Robert Millar

Non-cycling - Martin Lampkin (motorcycle Trials) Wayne Gretzky and Stephen Hawking
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Slapshot wrote:
    Stephen Hawking

:lol:
    Mañana
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    Brian "Pitbull" Moore
  • Stephen Roche. 1987, nuff said.

+1

Add Robert Millar & Hinault to it as well.

Non cycling: David Attenborough, Douglas Adams, Liam Brady and Supermac.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dave milne wrote:
    I had zero interest in sport until I was about 19-20 so no one.

Same here. For me it was Eric Cantona.
  • My earliest cycling heros would be Pantani, Virenque and, before I really got into the sport properly, Il Diablo. I know how to pick a winner.

My true boyhood heroes were Jonothan Davies and Alfie Langer. To this day, given how much cycling took over, I'd have to think long and hard if given a choice between being a pro cyclist or wearing no. 7 for the Wire.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    Cycling - Gianni Bugno

Non cycling - Freddie Spencer 8)
  • Fignon, Millar &, Lemond for me from the early 80's, these guys lit the touch paper for me re cycling and its been with me ever since.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    grantus wrote:
    Aberdeen legend Willie Miller :!:

Maradona - still remember watching as a 10 year old his wonder goal against England in the 1986 World Cup QF - his second one wasn't bad either................

Never forgiven him for pulling back Trevor Francis, how did we (England) not get a penalty for that?
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    afx237vi wrote:
    dave milne wrote:
    I had zero interest in sport until I was about 19-20 so no one.

Same here. For me it was Eric Cantona.

Proper Spurs fan, but Eric was magnificent. That night he went over the wall at Palace was special. The look of shock and fear on that loud mouth buffoons face as Eric's foot flew towards him was a moment for all fans to rejoice.