Aldi next week 16th sept

drummondjhn
drummondjhn Posts: 175
edited September 2010 in MTB general

Comments

• Ta for the heads up, need some shorts for me and him indoors :D
    Caz xxx
  • cheers! could do with waterproofs!
  • After some trousers to try and continue riding through the winter... I've nothing to wear as I started thinking it'd just be a summer thing.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Wonder if that bike stand could work as a workstand. Socks look worth a go
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    Might get some shoes for winter, anyone had any in the past?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    kenan wrote:
    Wonder if that bike stand could work as a workstand. Socks look worth a go

Yes, unless you want to spin the cranks.
  • Farno
    Farno Posts: 10
    Awesome! Always wanted to get some spanish flatbread with my biking gloves :P
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    cheers matey that bike stand looks good, and might get me some of that thermal underwear
  • forcutty wrote:

Bought the ankle socks they do when they have been available - use them every time I go out on the bike and have been great - I will be picking up a pair of the longer ones this time and also a few other bits that I need!
  • forcutty wrote:
    Yes, I thought they were fine, not the lightest, but a lot better than the lidl ones.
    I'll probably get a new winter jacket, I always shred them on brambles so it's never worth going expensive.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    kaytronika wrote:
    After some trousers to try and continue riding through the winter... I've nothing to wear as I started thinking it'd just be a summer thing.

The winter pants are very toasty... I got some last year. Lasting well. Good fit as well.

The 'Merino' top might be worth a punt at £15. Ok so it's not full merino, but 30% should mean it's less sweaty and staticy than the usual sports wear.

May go for the shorts if they're like the 3/4 ones shown in the pic... but not sure about the cammo look of the others.

Luckily my local Aldi is 200 yards from the office.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Get there early, otherwise people will buy all the decent sizes and whack em on ebay. The quality of these is normaly pretty good, just be a bit carefull with the zips :wink:
  • I wonder what the Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil is like for chain lube.
  • get there early
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • I've got one of the jackets, it's from a couple of years ago and it's actually quite good. No problem with the zip so far so i must be one of the lucky ones!
    Trek Fuel EX8 2010

Carrera Fury 2001
  • Paul 8v
    Ah, it says the zips are YKK so they should hopefully be better
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mmm, 59p anchovies :D
  • £10 for a heart rate monitor! Bargain! Providing it works...
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT Comp 2010
  • Anonymous
    Looks like it's just a pulse monitor, i.e. no chest strap, so isn't going to tell you much other than you have a pulse. They often aren't very accurate, or are difficult to get a reading, and may require you to stop exercising to take a reading by using your finger on a contact on the watch.

Decent ones have a transmitter to a chest strap that reads stuff like an ECG does. That will record the electrical signals of the heart as you exercise which has more meaningful information than just a pulse when you stop exercising. The pulse rate doesn't tell you much without some other context. The only relevant thing is to determine how fast your heart rate returns to resting, and you can do that yourself with a finger and normal watch (or likely it'll be beating enough to feel in your chest anyway).
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Just got back into work after stopping off at 9.00am at my local store. jeez... talk about vultures descending :-)

Stuff was going fast!!!!!

The shorts seem ok... but have side pockets only. But they do have a detachable liner which i wasn't expecting.

The winter jackets are good... I got one last year and it's holding up well.

The part-merino tops are really nice though....
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    deadkenny wrote:
    Looks like it's just a pulse monitor, i.e. no chest strap, so isn't going to tell you much other than you have a pulse. They often aren't very accurate, or are difficult to get a reading, and may require you to stop exercising to take a reading by using your finger on a contact on the watch.

Decent ones have a transmitter to a chest strap that reads stuff like an ECG does. That will record the electrical signals of the heart as you exercise which has more meaningful information than just a pulse when you stop exercising. The pulse rate doesn't tell you much without some other context. The only relevant thing is to determine how fast your heart rate returns to resting, and you can do that yourself with a finger and normal watch (or likely it'll be beating enough to feel in your chest anyway).

It is a heart rate monitor and comes with a chest strap and it looks like its may well be polar compatible :shock: so i got one to use on the turbo trainer £10 for a watch and H/R monitor in 1 you realy cant go wrong at those prices :wink:
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lol mrs mak3m went to the rugby store for 09.00

car park full and everyone headed for the cycling stuff, bun fight of legend according to her

you dont really mess with mrs mak3m so she managed to secure gloves, tops and waterproofs no trouble :P
  • Finlab6
    Finlab6 Posts: 127
    Got a jacket and winter trousers for under £30. Jacket looks really good and much better quality than I was expecting
    MTB GT Avalanche 1.0
    Road - Specialized Allez Sport

exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    Mark_K wrote:
    It is a heart rate monitor and comes with a chest strap and it looks like its may well be polar compatible :shock: so i got one to use on the turbo trainer £10 for a watch and H/R monitor in 1 you realy cant go wrong at those prices :wink:
    Cool. I'm guessing it won't be a Bluetooth one compatible with Polar BT systems? Probably too much to ask for £10! :D. That's what I'm after to work with Sports Tracker on my Nokia.
  • Paul 8v
    the Missus managed to get some bits, when i go there after work it's normally too late ond there's only fat bastid sizes left like XXXL :lol:
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    got gloves today vey comfy fit different colours blue red black at £4.99 bargain :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    come to Bracknell, there was boatloads left when I went at lunchtime, which is odd as there are so many cyclists round our way
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Shoes seem good quality, having a bit of bother fitting the cleats though, thats probably just me :roll:
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I bought pretty much one of everything for my wife and I :). I did pass on the shoes but am regretting that now as sitting on my kitchen table staring at me are a set of crank bros peddles which i can not use as i have no spd shoes.

The merino top is REALLY itchy, are you supposed to wear something under it?

Is this stuff supposed to be figure huggingly tight., I went for xl on everything so it is all a little baggy and I'm wondering if that was a mistake. I dint have the kind of physique that I would actually want to show off in figure hugging clothes lol.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Epic fail with the bike stand. It cannot facilitate two long travel bikes, period! Yes I bought one to free up some space as I have three bikes in my study