Some C**k has deliberately spread Tacks........

Red Route
Red Route Posts: 59
edited September 2010 in MTB general
.......... on a Tow Path in Nottingham at Beeston Marina!

Went out today with my mate for a nice gentle ride from the City to Beeston Marina & Attenborough Nature Reserve. Lovely afternoon & ride then just on our way back got a puncture.
Found a Tack in my Tyre, fixed puncture but my mates Pump was so crap it moved the Valve too much & caused a split. So I used his spare Tube & same thing happened. After taking wheel & tyre off around 5 times & repairing puncture & splits we decided it was hopeless.
Luckily a couple passed by on Bikes who were well kitted out & eventualy after trying their decent pump with no joy, the nice chap gave me his new spare innertube & finaly was back on the road after about 90 mins of farting about.
We're both getting better Pumps now as mine is the same style, we've got those plasticy ones that kinda grip on the Valve, then you lift up little arm to seal it on, utter garbage! Any RECOMENDATIONS? I like those mini "Old Skool" pumps.

The couple who were locals told us some bitter local nutter had spread Tacks along the Trail which is OK for Cyclists as long as they give way to Walkers etc....
Apparently it was in the local papers & Cyclists have been going along it walking & even defiantlly still riding & looking for the Tacks & clearing them up. T****r! They also said the RSPCA & RSPCB might get involved & prosecute, hope so!
Typical I had to find one but at least that's one less, can't believe someone could do that?

Comments

• chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Get some Stan's sealant and ride through all of them :P

On a more serious note, I'd absolutely lose it if one got stuck in my dog's paws.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    do a sweep along the pathwith a big magnet taped onto a broom handle , clear em up in no time.
    yep , lifes full of retards trying to spoil stuff they dont agree with.
  • Exactly, you get lots of Dogs there & Kids.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Get a little CO2 cartridge pump and carry a spare cartridge. Been using them for years and they pump a tyre up to full pressure in seconds.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think the money is better spent on a decent pump. Topeak Mountain Morph is brilliant!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    multiple punctures for more than one rider with only co2 = whole world of problems.
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    C02 & decent minipump for the win. Mind you, I've often take 2 GPS's out when heading into the wilds so maybe I'm a little anal....
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Lezyne Road Drive.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • ive been using a Blackburn mountain air for Years! had one of the eary ones and lasted me a good 7 years! replaced with a tesco one and wished i hadnt loL! utter pants, so picked up a new mountain air, Brilliant pump, close to 1psi per pump, light enough and £13!
    ideal!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    chedabob wrote:
    Get some Stan's sealant and ride through all of them :P

On a more serious note, I'd absolutely lose it if one got stuck in my dog's paws.

not wrong, what a totally mad thing to do!
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Idiots. Probably some miserable old bloke. Just wish these people could be caught but they rarely are.
  • Such a dangerous & stupid thing to do, the area is a Wildlife sanctuary as well & used by plenty of Kids & Dog Walkers.

Thanks for the Pump recomendations, will look into them!
    Been Cycling seriously for a couple of years now, but first time I've had problems with Pumps. Also what reapir kits do people prefer, we both had those annoying glue & then peel off one side then the other patches with the foil on one side clear plastic on other? They are tricky to use & don't work well unless you cover well in glue & press all edges down for 5 mins, what was wrong with all the Old Skool stuff?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Bugger, I wondered where that packet of tacks had fallen out of my rucksack...

If you see said old duffer spreading tacks again just push him in the water, he's probably packing himself to be fair as he'll be worried about getting prosecuted....
  • chedabob
    Red Route wrote:
    Such a dangerous & stupid thing to do, the area is a Wildlife sanctuary as well & used by plenty of Kids & Dog Walkers.

Thanks for the Pump recomendations, will look into them!
    Been Cycling seriously for a couple of years now, but first time I've had problems with Pumps. Also what reapir kits do people prefer, we both had those annoying glue & then peel off one side then the other patches with the foil on one side clear plastic on other? They are tricky to use & don't work well unless you cover well in glue & press all edges down for 5 mins, what was wrong with all the Old Skool stuff?

I have some self-adhesive ones I got from Asda. You just "grate" the inner tube and stick a patch over it.
  • has anyone asked the man what his justification is for doing this?

Was he attacked by a bicycle in his youth and carried the trauma all these years or something???

Or does he just know arsehole from breakfast time and think he is doing some sort of civic duty?
  • chedabob
    Zen_Master wrote:
    has anyone asked the man what his justification is for doing this?

Was he attacked by a bicycle in his youth and carried the trauma all these years or something???

Or does he just know arsehole from breakfast time and think he is doing some sort of civic duty?

They don't know who's doing it...
  • well thats never a good excuse to get in the way of humerous commentary is it?
    ;)
  • chedabob
    Zen_Master wrote:
    well thats never a good excuse to get in the way of humerous commentary is it?
    ;)

Nope, but if they knew who it was, he'd probably have his head kicked in :lol:
  • The other day while out I came across numerous placed branches and logs across a down hill wooded track. I moved them all out of the way. On the way back I could see someone ahead putting them back. I thought I would avoid any confrontation and the up hill climb so I went a different route. I decided to do the loop again and I have no idea how it happened but the man was on floor face down in mud with a branch in hand.
    Never come across it before.
  • TowerRider wrote:
    The other day while out I came across numerous placed branches and logs across a down hill wooded track. I moved them all out of the way. On the way back I could see someone ahead putting them back. I thought I would avoid any confrontation and the up hill climb so I went a different route. I decided to do the loop again and I have no idea how it happened but the man was on floor face down in mud with a branch in hand.

thats incredibly sinister haha

On a more serious note, i've come across a few instances of logs on tracks- what do they think (the people who put them there that is) they will achieve?
  • chedabob
    Zen_Master wrote:
    TowerRider wrote:
    The other day while out I came across numerous placed branches and logs across a down hill wooded track. I moved them all out of the way. On the way back I could see someone ahead putting them back. I thought I would avoid any confrontation and the up hill climb so I went a different route. I decided to do the loop again and I have no idea how it happened but the man was on floor face down in mud with a branch in hand.

thats incredibly sinister haha

On a more serious note, i've come across a few instances of logs on tracks- what do they think (the people who put them there that is) they will achieve?

That you'll stop riding there. It doesn't occur to them that they can be moved, or people can ride around/jump them, or that they could seriously injure someone and be arrested.
  • does it take arrests etc to make this sort of stuff stick then? Also, why do people believe they have exclusive rights to public land?
  • t0pc4t
    what would you arrest the person for though, stick moving with intent?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • chedabob
    Zen_Master wrote:
    does it take arrests etc to make this sort of stuff stick then? Also, why do people believe they have exclusive rights to public land?

If it's a footpath, they do have a right to it. But if it's an unmarked track on public land, nobody has right of way.

Not heard of anybody being arrested for it, but at the very least they'd get nicked for vandalism if they got caught. I just grab whatever it is that's blocking the trail and chuck it as far away as possible.
  • Paul 8v
    The original path mentioned was a towpath so I would assume a bridalway
  • chedabob
    Paul 8v wrote:

Yeah I was referring to the logs.

Cyclists are allowed on towpaths so this guy is an arse.
  • t0pc4t wrote:
    what would you arrest the person for though, stick moving with intent?

assault presumably. If by their actions they caused someone else harm. Might be a tenuous case though...
  • t0pc4t
    you have to prove the action, which you probably could easily, and also the intention, which would be harder as I suspect it would have to be directed at a specific person

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Paul 8v
    chedabob wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Yeah I was referring to the logs.

Cyclists are allowed on towpaths so this guy is an ars*.

What scares me is the people who put fishing wire betwwen trees, I know tacks could hurt someone and are a pain in the ass but the wire could kill someone
  • t0pc4t
    I've heard of that but never actually witnessed it first hand

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6