Aldi Merino Shirts - is 30% Merino worth anything really?

SamWise1972
SamWise1972 Posts: 220
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Aldi are doing cycling gear next week, and the thing that catches my eye is this:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _15610.htm

Which is 30% Merino wool. It's very cheap for a Merino jersey, but then only 1/3rd of it is. Does anyone know whether that's enough?

Comments

• Aldi are doing cycling gear next week, and the thing that catches my eye is this:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _15610.htm

Which is 30% Merino wool. It's very cheap for a Merino jersey, but then only 1/3rd of it is. Does anyone know whether that's enough?

I have been told that merino wool doesn't stink of BO, no matter how many times it is worn. As everyone knows, BO is the waste product of bacteria going to work on the components of sweat. Apparently (and this is now all nth hand) merino wool fibres are perfectly smooth, and bacteria can't stay on them. Conversely artificial fibres are rough, and bacteria love 'em.

If there is any truth in any of this, then I'd say 30% merino wool ain't nearly enough.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    The Sportwool in parts of Schutt's jerseys, which everyone raves about, has a Merino content as little as 12%, so the Aldi stuff looks a bargain!
  • It could be the critical 1/3, the bit around your pits, sternum etc, for instance. In that case it starts to make sense.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Not enough for commuting. I use a pure merino for 5 days without washing and its fine, even higher quality sportwool blends start to smell after a day.

I have used 2 merino shirts for a whole year of commuting, short sleeve for summer and long for winter, without doubt my best value purchases.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Even Rapha stuff is only 40% merino.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,125
    at that price its worth a go
  • It rather depends on what the other 70% is.
  • Looks OK to me - worth a try at the least!

Depending on the cut, I'll get one - they often have very short arms.
  • snailracer wrote:
    It rather depends on what the other 70% is.
    woven coconut fibre
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Im sure the Aldi one will be fine but I'd rather pay 100% more and get 200% more Merino wool.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26756
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    jairaj wrote:
    Im sure the Aldi one will be fine but I'd rather pay 100% more and get 200% more Merino wool.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26756

Yeahbut that's a baselayer, not a jersey. Merino or sportswool jerseys are 2 or 3 times the price of baselayers.

a serious case of small cogs
  • jairaj
    It doesn't just have to be a base layer designed for wicking sweat away or keeping you warm in the cold. It can work as a jersey too. I buy the correct size for a fitted sports cut fit and works great as a base layer and 1 size up for a slightly less figure hugging cut and works great as technical t-shirt. I've worn the short sleeve version on its own in summer and was fine.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    jairaj wrote:
    It doesn't just have to be a base layer designed for wicking sweat away or keeping you warm in the cold. It can work as a jersey too. I buy the correct size for a fitted sports cut fit and works great as a base layer and 1 size up for a slightly less figure hugging cut and works great as technical t-shirt. I've worn the short sleeve version on its own in summer and was fine.

But either way what you are describing are not jerseys! They don't have pockets or zips for a start, and the material will almost certainly be a lot thinner than the Aldi's, so they certainly wouldn't be good for a cold winter's day.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of 100% merino base and mid-layers and use them year-round, and not just for cycling. You're simply not comparing like with like.

a serious case of small cogs
  • I bought one of the long-sleeved (not merino) jerseys last year, and still rate it as one of the best jerseys I've got. It lasted me right through last winter and has been nothing but superb. It's got another winter in it easily.
  • jairaj
    Ah OK, I just think of jerseys as different name for a technical t-shirt. Didn't realise it had specifics.

Wallace1492 - is the other 70% really coconut fibre? I've heard good stuff about clothes made from bamboo fibre would be interested to see what coconut was like.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    at that price, you could get one and stick a summer jersey over the top for pocket provision, I have the baabaa and do this, you'd be surprised how cold it gets until you need to swap to a winter top

I'm going to give the Aldi one a try - merino are good for wicking and not smelling as long as you let them air, if you were to remove one after a ride and bag it then there would be some stinkiness
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    antfly wrote:

the Rapha base layer is 100%
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    jairaj wrote:
    Ah OK, I just think of jerseys as different name for a technical t-shirt. Didn't realise it had specifics.

Wallace1492 - is the other 70% really coconut fibre? I've heard good stuff about clothes made from bamboo fibre would be interested to see what coconut was like.

it says acrylic on mine so I would guess not
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    softlad wrote:
    antfly wrote:

the Rapha base layer is 100%

Yeah but we were talking about jerseys.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • They are damn itchy, even through a base layer. Will a wash with some wool specific softener help?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Am i the only one who actually finds mine quite comfy, wanted to give it a go see if i like it before i get a schutt one
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    They are damn itchy, even through a base layer. Will a wash with some wool specific softener help?

Merino is not itchy.

If your jersey is itchy then it must be another material in the mix.
    Or, it is not real merino :shock:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • daviesee wrote:
    They are damn itchy, even through a base layer. Will a wash with some wool specific softener help?

Merino is not itchy.

If your jersey is itchy then it must be another material in the mix.
    Or, it is not real merino :shock:

Judging by the feel, I think it is 30% Brillo.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    +1 on the itchy. I like the look of it, though.

Will wash with fabric softener and hope it takes the itch away.
  • I commuted in my ALDI 30% this morning at 6am and was very pleased with it, I can't say it itched (there is almost as much wool on me as the jersey) but it was fantastically warm under an Altura React waterproof.

I'm off to try and rummage for another tomorrow, well worth £15.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    seataltea wrote:
    I commuted in my ALDI 30% this morning at 6am and was very pleased with it, I can't say it itched (there is almost as much wool on me as the jersey) but it was fantastically warm under an Altura React waterproof.

I'm off to try and rummage for another tomorrow, well worth £15.

I was looking at them in Aldi today (North Sheffield still got a fair bit in). They are fugly, I thought, itchy or not.....
  • I wore my Aldi Merino jersey as a replacement for a base layer yesterday.

Some points to note:

- It has vintage styling and I like that
    - I would wash it before wearing it underneath something else as I have small black blotches on my L/S jersey where the colour has run slightly
    - The itchiness is not noticeable
    - I think it is designed as a normal cycling jersey and not an underlayer
    - It is heavy!
  • I like the way it looks. I just wish it had pockets! Reminds me a little of the Brooks l'Eroica jersey.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Mine is crazy itchy. I have never owned a cycling top bfore this and figured you need to wear something under it!
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • £15 for a 30% Merino Aldi top.
    £25 for a 100% Merino Icebreaker Oasis top at Blacks

30% Merino = 70% not Merino = 100% pointless.

Nuff said.

I swear by icebreaker for hillwalking, trekking and cycling. It has never failed.
    The Stable '04 Trek 1000 | '09 Giant Bowery '72 | '10 Ridgeback Panorma | '10 Cannondale CAAD9 105 Compact