Computer with Suspension Fork?

PAD20959
PAD20959 Posts: 109
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Quick question.

Will having a suspension fork affect the performance and/or accuracy of a front wheel mounted sensor for a cycle computer. My current Specialized Sirrus has a CatEye Astrale 8 which has a rear mounted cadence/speed sensor, but I can't seem to find many of these out there now.

I'm presuming that as the market is flooded with front sensors that it isn't an issue.

Thanks
Pierre
Orange Five 2010
Specialized Carve Pro 2013
Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 2014

Comments

• Provided you mount it on the slider and not the stanchion so the sensor always lines up with the magnet I can't see any problems - front suspension is almost universal now...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just out of curiosity, why, or how did you think having suspension forks would affect it?
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,787
    Won't affect it at all, sensor and magnet will move together
  • My thoughts were 2 fold:

Firstly I was thinking along the lines of the suspension fork moving about more and letting the wheel spin before it contacts with the ground again.

Secondly (and the point which has been answered), I was thinking of the sensor and magnet not lining up all the time with the fork movement.

I've never ridden a HT or FS before, so did not realise the sensor whould mount on the fork casing that moves in harmony with the wheel.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • Thanks for all the clarification.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The whole point of suspension is to keep the wheel on the ground better so if anything, suspension will give a more accurate reading than on a rigid fork
  • OK, all taken in.

Having only previously ridden on the road with no suspension, I was a bit unsure.

Thanks again to all those who put the 2p in.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • Anonymous
    I really don't know what to say... :lol:
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I really don't know what to say... :lol:

All hail! Yeehaa's speachless :D:D

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    For the cranially challenged... SCROLL DOWN
    thestupiditburnsblack.jpg
  • That's a bit harsh.
  • Anonymous
    It's not though, is it? All it requires is some basic common sense, and a pair of eyes.
  • To yeehaamcgee,

If I had the bike in my possession to look at then maybe all it would take is a pair of eyes and some common sense.

It's also the reason I posted it in the beginner section. After all we can't all have your unparralled and inciteful wisdom oh wise one. Maybe one day I will reach your dizzy heights of enlightenment, but until then I'll just have to make do asking clarification for any questions I might have.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • Anonymous
    It really doesn't take much enlightenment though does it?
  • I see you have placed a question mark at the end of that sentence, denoting the asking of a question (although I'm sure you realised that already, considering your status as some what of an oracle on this forum. So perhaps I need not have pointed out something so obvious to one with such riches in knowledge).

I would love to reply and answer your question, but I feel it would be unnecessary and rather moot. As I'm sure you already have the answer to this and no doubt many other worldly issues.

Thanks for your valuable input though.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • Now isn't that just typical of me to miss the irony of your statement. You really are pre-enligtened, so much so that you can ask a question that you don't need an answer to as you already know it.

Once again the depths of your knowledge are just too good for own words to accurately convey.

Thank you once more.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :roll:

Welcome to the forum. Your computer will be fine. Just be careful if it's a wired version that there isn't too much excess cable when the forks are compressed.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks bails97.
    Orange Five 2010
  • Anonymous
    PAD20959, I can see we will get on just fine.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    bails87 wrote:
    :roll:

Welcome to the forum. Your computer will be fine. Just be careful if it's a wired version that there isn't too much excess cable when the forks are compressed.

Just to add to that:

If you pull the wire tight to the bridge on the forks then secure it with a cable tie, then secure it to the crown or one of the brake cables, it'll keep the slack in check so it doesn't get caught when the fork compresses.
  • thestupiditburnsblack.jpg

I like the picture, but why ruin it with such a crappy choice of font? Really doesn't fit with the image.

I've instructed my little girl to never be afraid of asking questions because there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. Maybe I should amend that to not being afraid of asking questions, unless on an internet forum.
  • gaspode
    gaspode Posts: 110
    Maybe I should amend that to not being afraid of asking questions, unless on an internet forum.
    especially one that is, by definition, aimed at beginners....... :?
  • Thanks chedabob.

I think I may leave it to my LBS to fit to the new bike when it arrives, and probably get a wireless one as well.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • yeehaamcgee - If you keep up with the current levels of verbal jousting, then I've no doubt we will.

Salubrious libations all round.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    PAD20959 wrote:
    Thanks chedabob.

I think I may leave it to my LBS to fit to the new bike when it arrives, and probably get a wireless one as well.

Pierre

nah if it's wireless it'll be a doddle.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • bentes
    bentes Posts: 286
    Yes, go wired.

I used wireless and wired before. Wireless are just a pain in the backside. You need 3 batteries (one for the sensor, one for the base and one for the unit). Sometimes they stop working and you don't know if it's because the sensor has no battery or the base, or if it's any other problem of communication. they're heavier... anyway, go wired. :)
  • another vote for wired. even if it doesnt look as good its about a million times more reliable and the battery lasts longer as its not projecting any signal. plus we found that they get crazy reading in the shop i work in, so that they would either read backwards, or not at all unless we took them outside the store.
    so id reccomend a wired one :)
  • Thanks for all the opinions chaps.

Pierre
    Orange Five 2010