BBox
BMC
Carmiooro Ngc
Cervelo
Cofidis
Colnago – Csf
Isd – Neri

No invite for Vacansoleil, Radioshack or Footon
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    No repeat of this then?

fs007.jpg
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Acqua e Sapone
    Diquigiovanni

BBox
    BMC
    Carmiooro Ngc
    Cervelo
    Cofidis
    Colnago – Csf
    Isd – Neri

Sorry to focus on it, but how many (ex-)dopers in those teams?
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Acqua e Sapone
    Diquigiovanni
    BBox
    BMC
    Carmiooro Ngc
    Cervelo
    Cofidis
    Colnago – Csf
    Isd – Neri

No HTC-Columbia either by the looks of the list on Gazzetta - surely a mistake?

Milano, 6 settembre 2010 – Rcs Sport ha reso noto l'elenco delle squadre che saranno al via della classica Gran Piemonte (giovedì 14 ottobre) su un percorso adatto alle ruote veloci che deve ancora essere svelato nei suoi particolari. Le squadre sono 20 e saranno composte da 8 corridori:

Ag2R (Fra), Astana (Kaz), Caisse D’Epargne (Spa) Garmin (Usa), Lampre Farnese, Liquigas Doimo, Omega Pharma – Lotto (Bel), Quick Step (Bel) , Rabobank (Ola), Team Sky (Gb), Htc-Columbia (Usa), Katusha (Rus), Saxo Bank (Dan), Acqua e Sapone, Androni Giocattoli – Diquigiovanni, Bmc (Usa), Cervelo (Svi), Cofidis (Fra), Colnago – Csf (Irl), Isd-Neri

Rese note anche le partecipanti del Lombardia, in programma sabato 16 ottobre. Le squadre invitate saranno composte da 8 corridori ciascuna. Spicca la presenza della Carmiooro di Emanuele Sella, che torna così alla classica dele foglie morte. Non figura nell'elenco invece la Vacansoleil di Riccardo Riccò.

Ag2R (Fra), Astana (Kaz), Caisse D’Epargne (Spa), Euskaltel (Spa), Francaise Des Jeux (Fra), Garmin (Usa), Lampre Farnese, Liquigas – Doimo, Omega – Lotto (BEL), Quick Step (Bel), Rabobabnk (Ola), Team Sky (Gb), Katusha (Rus), Milram (Ger), Saxo Bank (Dan), Acqua e Sapone, Androni - Diquigiovanni, Bouygues Telecom(Fra), Bmc (Usa) , Carmiooro Ngc(Gb), Cervelo (Svi), Cofidis (Fra), Colnago – Csf (Irl), Isd – Neri.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No HTC-Columbia either by the looks of the list on Gazzetta - surely a mistake?

I think so - Tuttobici have HTC on the list.
  • andyp
    taz3611 wrote:
    Neck stuck out - Gilbert

Picking last year's winner is hardly sticking your neck out now is it? :wink:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Have Vacansoleil shot themselves in the foot with the Ricco signing? They were there last year and now they're not. Maybe Ricco is still on probation as far as RCS is concerned.
  • Given the UCI insisted the invites were based on rankings for the other classics do we think Radioshack decided not to bother? And if that is the case does it put into question their commitment to next year?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Nobody seems to know the selection criteria, some teams are there but others are not.

Regardless of Ricco, this sort of mess should not happen. Clear rules are needed, teams investing millions should know whether they qualify or not. Hopefully the agreement for 2011 race entry requirements will be fixed.

Note that some past rules used to state Pro Tour teams could not sign riders coming back from a doping ban but this was dropped after it couldn't be enforced when Bruyneel tried to sign Basso and Liquigas finally signed him.
  • iainf72
    The clear message here is that RCS have no love for The Shack. Bruyneel had these races on their calendar, so there can be no "oh, we didn't want to go anyway"

Regarding Vacensoleil, I think they had issues before signing Ricco.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    The clear message here is that RCS have no love for The Shack. Bruyneel had these races on their calendar, so there can be no "oh, we didn't want to go anyway"

I'd totally forgotten that RCS had excluded them for the Giro only for Bruyneel to claim they never wanted to go anyway. Plus there was Armstrong's very late withdrawal from Milan-San Remo. Bloody hell it's been a long season.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:

Do tell.

I love those guys.
  • iainf72
  • rick_chasey
    Ian, what issues did/do Vaconsolei have?!?
  • iainf72

A couple of questionable riders. But I was sort of alluding that there must be more to it than that considering how looked over they were.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I reckon this is still the fallout over Armstrong orchestrating the rider protest in the 2009 Giro.

You know what they say about people in cycling having long memories.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

He may have had this one on the calendar but he certainly did not have the Giro, he sent a lettr in January to that effect.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    edited September 2010
    Bronzie wrote:
    I reckon this is still the fallout over Armstrong orchestrating the rider protest in the 2009 Giro.

LA was not the main instigator of that.
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:

I'd totally forgotten that RCS had excluded them for the Giro only for Bruyneel to claim they never wanted to go anyway.

Which was correct given the contents of the January letter.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I'd totally forgotten that RCS had excluded them for the Giro only for Bruyneel to claim they never wanted to go anyway.

Well, maybe, but getting into a p1ssing contest with the second most important race organiser clearly gets you nowhere irrespective of who sent what letters to whom when.

Strava is not Zen.
  • moray_gub
    calvjones wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Well, maybe, but getting into a p1ssing contest with the second most important race organiser clearly gets you nowhere irrespective of who sent what letters to whom when.

Maybe so but the fact is they never wanted to got o the Giro anyway so not getting an invite at tthat time meant nothing.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Didn't the letter contradict statements made in the weeks leading up to the snub?
  • andyp
    Yes it did. Radioshack were very keen to ride the Giro only to change their tune when no invite was forthcoming.

Payback time for LA's behaviour at the Giro last year.
  • Seems odd that they have taken the RCS to CAS over their exclusion from a one day classic, but did nothing but tweet vague threats and insinuations in the direction of Unipublic, over their Vuelta non-invite.
    To me, they had more of a CAS case, in regard of the Spanish snub, as opposed to a clear difference of opinion with the Italians.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

He was according to the CN report of the time:
    Apparently, the peloton's main men - most likely a combination of Armstrong (who emailed race director Angelo Zomegnan a few days prior, saying he was concerned about the nature of yesterday's finish to Bergamo and the Milano circuit race), Di Luca, Basso, Garzelli, Cioni and Simoni - decided the circuit was too dangerous to be raced at full speed and risk crashing.

..........and more importantly in Zomegnan's comments after the stage:
    When asked if he was referring to Lance Armstrong, Zomegnan refused to specifically name the rider who the race had invested so heavily in attracting as the culprit. "I never name people who have disappointed me, just like I don't name girlfriends that have snubbed me."

Several riders acknowledged that the American was behind the move and many agreed with his reasoning. But Katusha's Filippo Pozzato thought the decision to raise objections mid-stage led to chaos. "After the first lap, Lance said this circuit shouldn't be raced on," said Filippo Pozzato
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Bronzie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

Apparently, the peloton's main men - most likely a combination of Armstrong (who emailed race director Angelo Zomegnan a few days prior, saying he was concerned about the nature of yesterday's finish to Bergamo and the Milano circuit race), Di Luca, Basso, Garzelli, Cioni and Simoni - decided the circuit was too dangerous to be raced at full speed and risk crashing.

When asked if he was referring to Lance Armstrong, Zomegnan refused to specifically name the rider who the race had invested so heavily in attracting as the culprit. "I never name people who have disappointed me, just like I don't name girlfriends that have snubbed me."

Several riders acknowledged that the American was behind the move and many agreed with his reasoning. But Katusha's Filippo Pozzato thought the decision to raise objections mid-stage led to chaos. "After the first lap, Lance said this circuit shouldn't be raced on," said Filippo Pozzato

That top quote does not imply Armstrong was the "main" instigator. It names him in a group of several riders, and you would need some evidence he played a larger part than the others for him to be a "main" instigator.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    DaveyL wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:

That top quote does not imply Armstrong was the "main" instigator. It names him in a group of several riders, and you would need some evidence he played a larger part than the others for him to be a "main" instigator.

What, like emailing the Z man and being specifically mentioned by Pozzato?

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

A couple of questionable riders. But I was sort of alluding that there must be more to it than that considering how looked over they were.

You refering to Leukemans and Hoogerland? (I hope not!)