Vuelta stage 9 *spoiler*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited September 2010 in Pro race
A similar profile to yesterday, if a little easier:

9_perfil.gif

3 more riders pull out today - Bichot, Delage and Petacchi, who I'm guessing didn't sleep very well last night due to his sore arse.

15 riders in the breakaway, including some big names... Moncoutie again, JC Peraud, Egoi Martinez, Barredo, Gasparotto and Kreuziger amongst them.

Comments

• What's up with Kreuziger...in 50th place. Cancellara is in 4th from last position on GC. I wonder what logic is being used - we have Gilbert and Cancellara two of the biggest conenteders for the Worlds and approaching the first week of the Vuelta completely differently. I guess different riders need different preps. Fabian may also be expected to do a lot of work later for Frank.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Km 60 - Coll de Rates - 6,8 km at 5,15% - Category 2
    Km 97,8 - Alto de Guadalest - 5,3 km at 7,17% - Category 2
    Km 106,5 - Alto de Confrides - 11,8 km at 3,47% - Category 3
    Km 124,8 - Alto de Tudons - 7,2 km at 5,14% - Category 2
    Km 147,5 - Puerto de Torremanzanas - 8,3 km at 5,42% - Category 2
    Km 158,5 - Puerto de Benifallín - 5,3 km at 5,00% - Category 3
    Km 174,9 - Alto del Revolcat - 5,9 km at 4,41% - Category 3
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Oscar Pujol (Cervelo), Bela Kadri (AG2R), Javier Ramirez (Andalucia-CajaSur), Enrico Gasparotto (Astana);, Perrig Quemeneur (Bbox), David Moncoutie (Cofidis), Egoi Martinez (Euskaltel), Roman Kreuziger (Liquigas), Jean-Christophe Peraud (Omega Pharma-Lotto); Jelle Vanendert (Omega Pharma-Lotto), Carlos Barredo (QuickStep), Dario Cataldo (QuickStep), Gianpaolo Caruso (Katusha) and Gonzalo Rabunal (Xacobeo Galicia).

At 5.25
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dutch feed here:
    http://streamz.yolasite.com/ch-16.php
    Eurosport now not due until 3-30pm. :x

Edit:
    Barredo requested to leave the break, as he was VRLOTRoad.........
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    15 riders in the breakaway, including some big names... Moncoutie again, JC Peraud, Egoi Martinez, Barredo, Gasparotto and Kreuziger amongst them.

Come on PTP!
  • Apparently Barredo dropped out of the lead group to give the others a better chance of staying away - he is 2.49 down on GC. Nice thing to do if true.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I know people say the countryside is boring etc but I really it and some of those hills they ride are begging to be ridden by bike.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Elsewhere, @procycling just posted this on Twitter
    American Taylor Phinney wins prologue in Tour de l'Avenir (Tour of the future) before Dowsett
  • afx237vi
    Euskaltel should have let Barredo take the jersey - yes or no?
    American Taylor Phinney wins prologue in Tour de l'Avenir (Tour of the future) before Dowsett

These two are going to battle it out for a while. I had no idea this race was going on at the moment. Will have to start following.

Anyone know the result of Ricco's first race for VS? Giro della Romagna
    Contador is the Greatest

These two are going to battle it out for a while. I had no idea this race was going on at the moment. Will have to start following.

1 2 3 was Sinkewitz Pozzovivo and your fave Gio Visconti
  • Thanks, can't find the results anywhere...
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Elsewhere, @procycling just posted this on Twitter

1 2 3 was Sinkewitz Pozzovivo and your fave Gio Visconti

Good to see Sinkewitz keeping that dirty doper in his place.

Eh?

Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Barredo making sigins that he has bonked...

That lead went up pretty fast after he dropped out.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Euskaltel's only day in Red and they lose it! Well they might lose it, they have quite a bit of time to make up
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Euskaltel's only day in Red and they lose it! Well they might lose it, they have quite a bit of time to make up

It's what they should be trying to do anyway.
  • Well it depends on whether they think they will get it back at a later stage. If not then they may as well hang on to it for the exposure regardless of whether they have the ride the front
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Well it depends on whether they think they will get it back at a later stage. If not then they may as well hang on to it for the exposure regardless of whether they have the ride the front

Agreed, but Anton is good enough to win overall, so why not put a bit of faith in him? Someone like Peraud is not that much of a danger on the mountain top finishes.
  • Moncoutie rode the last 10kms so much smarter than the rest.
    The result is, he's in with a shout of back-to-back wins.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    Meh. Peraud's lost it anyway. Bit of a damp squib, this stage.
  • 9uk.gif
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Well it depends on whether they think they will get it back at a later stage. If not then they may as well hang on to it for the exposure regardless of whether they have the ride the front

Agreed, but Anton is good enough to win overall, so why not put a bit of faith in him? Someone like Peraud is not that much of a danger on the mountain top finishes.

The problem with Peraud is that he's relatively unknown, he might hang on longer than expected and he has a good tt.
  • Moncoutie rode the last 10kms so much smarter than the rest.
    The result is, he's in with a shout of back-to-back wins.

Yeah pretty smart. Experience shows.

610x-8-5.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Oh, the Vuelta put the wrong time up... Peraud still in virtual red by about a minute.
  • Lars Boom won today's Grote Prijs Jef Scherens, ahead of Belgian Maxime Vantomme of Katusha
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Bernardus wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

The problem with Peraud is that he's relatively unknown, he might hang on longer than expected and he has a good tt.

It's a risk that he could do an Arroyo I suppose. He did well in Paris-Nice and Pais Vasco this year, so he can climb... but if I were a Euskie DS, I'd be happy if he took red by 30 odd seconds. Gives Anton a break for three or four days.
  • afx237vi
    Lopez wins, 54" for Peraud... now we wait.
  • Nice move by Lopez. He rode well and aggressively so glad he got the win. First since 07 as well.

See that guy chuck his bidon over the bridge!

Andy out the back - I am beginning to wonder if he will be any help in the mountains.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    Anton keeps red.
  • It's always great if an underdog wins: This was only his 2nd professional victory after a stage win in the Deutschland Tour in 2007, where he outclimbed Voigt, Gesink and Cunego.