Follow the dog.....rollers.....WIPEout!!!

beany123
beany123 Posts: 133
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Went up to Cannock recently and had an awesome day...

Rode the dog twice, pretty slick, feeling myself push harder and harder and lovin it, just as you enter the rollers there is a rock drop off on the right hand side of the track, I got some gr8 air off that but went into the rollers far too fast!!!! 1st one felt fast 2nd.....3rd.....Wipeout!!! cant really remember what happened but landed softly in the ferns and moss!! Not had a crash in a long time bit gutted it happened as ive been riding so slick but i suppose even the best of us wipeout now and again??? any one else get pissed at themselves for wipin out???
Giant Trance 1

Live to ride

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    MBR had a feature on Cannock this month and warn you not to ride them at full pace - wusses! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why get angry at yourself for wiping out? If you don't crash occasionally you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

I tend to laugh when I crash, hell even AS I'm crashing most of the time.
  • I laugh if I wipeout and know its coming or know why its happened. I get annoyed if I can't work out why it has.

Though its normally cos I have appauling technique and ride much faster than I have the skills to do so.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Why get angry at yourself for wiping out? If you don't crash occasionally you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

I tend to laugh when I crash, hell even AS I'm crashing most of the time.
    Aye, you have to have a good laugh if you have a crash, i know i always do. No point feeling self conscious about it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Happens to everyone. The best ones are when you actually have time to think "oh feck...."

Just like last time I crashed and a tree stump broke my fall and my bike landed on top of me. Was gutted at the time as I was absolutely flying, but I just wish someone had been there to film it, must have looked that funny.
  • Yep, i had a chuckle when i read the MBR feature, as when i first rode those rollers i took them more like a double and ended up face planting in front of a cannock park ranger who just pissed himself and said I was the 2 nd person that day to do it !

Don't get bummed about crashing, if you dont exceed the limits how can you know where they are ?
    2015 Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    2014 Canyon Ultimate Al
    2008 Kona Stinky
    2000 Specialized P3
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    my local ride is cwmcarn and i must have ridden it over 100 times but i've had loads of crashes up there. if i'm tired, not concentrating 100% or something it's easy to do.

don't be hard on yourself, look at peaty in the downhill last weekend, he could easily nail that course but he stacked it big time, like you say, even the best fall off :D
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    north-sure wrote:

Though its normally cos I have appauling technique and ride much faster than I have the skills to do so.

+1 :oops:
  • Anonymous
    if ididnt laugh each time i fouled something up n a ride, i would be miserable as fuck all the time.

i really want to take the trip to cannock to see what its like, it seems to be a hot topic at the moment.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    lol think i came a cropper there too

first time round took the first too fast misjudged the second got a crap line for the third and headed straight for a tree

luckily managed to turn my bike took a whack to my shoulder but saved my front wheel :twisted:
  • a mate of mine did the exact same thing as you described, aired the drop, took off sweetly on the first roller landed on the up-slope of the second front wheel first and ate dirt! :lol: I was right behind him at the time but was sensible and squashed the rollers.

He was fine and we had a good chuckle about it at the end.

Crashing is part of Mountain Biking, if it wasn't for the constant risk of disaster it'd be totally boring!
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Anonymous
    It does seem a shame, for a purpose built trail to have rollers like that that can't be "attacked" properly.
  • It does seem a shame, for a purpose built trail to have rollers like that that can't be "attacked" properly.

I think it's cos they're quite close together and quite steep on the upslope - you'd have to be pretty committed to go up one and land on the downslope of the next one.

I usually get a little bit of air on the first one, a bit more on the second one, and then need a dab on the brake to stop the next one becoming a crash as it's easy to pick up speed over them :)
  • It does seem a shame, for a purpose built trail to have rollers like that that can't be "attacked" properly.
    they can still be attacked.
  • Anonymous
    Oh. I must have misunderstood then.
    It sounds like they're jumps that have been built so if you go at them full tils, you WILL land on the upslope of the next.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    The rollers at Cannock catch a lot of people out.

Some still think they are a series of jumps, but they are not.

You mention that after the 3rd one, it goes wrong.

That's very common as there is a slight bend to the left between the 3rd and 4th and if it was dry then it can be very washy around that bend.

They can be taken at full speed, but you really need to be able to pump them good and proper giving you lots of speed at the last one where you can let the bike get some good air.
    Craig Rogers
  • Anonymous
    I might have misunderstood what people were explaining them as then.
    I can squash jumps just fine, much better in fact than jump them!

Sounds like somewhere i may pay a visit to.
  • x-isle wrote:
    The rollers at Cannock catch a lot of people out.

Some still think they are a series of jumps, but they are not.

+1 on that and there is a warning triangle before them, there aren't many warnings on the FTD trail, but the few that there are are there for a reason :roll:

About a month back I bumped into some guys on the FTD trail and one of them was nursing some serious bruising he took from crashing on the rollers. They started from the parking area on Marquis Drive, so the rollers was on the beginning of their ride. I felt for the guy, he was bruised and rashed, but he wasn't wearing a lid!
  • I still wish they hadn't toned them down by shaving some height off though, in fact I'd make them higher than they originally were if I could but too many people getting it wrong and going off in a nice red helicopter spoiled any chances of them staying higher. :(
  • Anonymous
    what these rollers of which everyone speaks?
  • Anonymous
    kind of rises in the ground that don't have a defined "lip" to jump off, sheeps.
    If that first section of red after the llandegla climb hadn't been shut, then it would have led us round some berms, and rollers.
  • Anonymous
    i know what you mean, designed to be pumped and not jumped?
  • Anonymous
    yes.
  • Anonymous
    yes. Like a Rhyl bird.
  • Anonymous
    my mum lives there.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    what these rollers of which everyone speaks?

From about 3 mins in this vid. There's a set of 3 then 4.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    erm, im dog toffee at bike riding but i cant for the life of me see why that would cause anyone any problems.

there is every chance im missing the point i understand but seriously, that looks ok.

i deffo want to take the trip up there some point soon.

wish i still lived in lichfield.
  • Anonymous
    We should meet up there and show everyone our sikk 2 the powa of RAD skillz.
  • Anonymous
    Oh wow, just watched the video. I'm afraid I'm too rad and sikk for lame crap like that.

Seriously, THAT is causing people problems?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They're not a problem if you know what's coming, but if you try to get too much air then you end up landing on the upslope of the next one.

I was riding slow because I was trying to let The Northern Monkey keep up btw :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."