I'm going Hi-vis

2»

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    It works for me

Better than a gilet
  • iPete wrote:
    I've been on the same route to enlightenment.

I've always purchased more practical clothing that looks better off the bike and relied on good lights.

Having a change of tact this winter and adding hi-viz where I can, starting with my spokes. May add some black or white 3M scotch light stickers to my frame, bags, helmet etc. and maybe wear a sam brown belt on bad days (cheaper than a new jacket!).

I'm a hi viz addict

get yerself some of the £2 slap bands for your frame, etc (a lot of the wilkinson & home bargain type places do them with blinking LED's - I use them as collars for seeing the dogs off the lead in winter and dangling off my backpack. The slap bands can come on and off as required and it saves messing your frame up by sticking 3M tape to it.

The slap bands also make a good indicator wrapped round you wrist, they stand out whatever the daylight or weather

I have and use a Sam Browne when its really wintery but if you have a look in Netto now, they've got great Hi Viz yellow polo shirts for £6, B&Q do similar for £10 or so and the Alexandra type workwear shops have a world of affordable HV options. you don't need to go to all of the expense of a new jacket, just a cheapy workmans vest or large polo top over a regular one
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    I have lots of vis, but am still of the opinion that you can have all the vis i the world and if someones not paying attention they will still hit you regardless of what you wear, still no substitue for know what is going on around you.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    dugliss wrote:
    I think they`re something to do with Lilywhites too

Lilywhites is now a SportsDirect store, but keeps it's name as Lilywhites. It's been turned into what's more or less an organised (yet cramped) jumble sale as more and more stuff is crammed onto each floor.

It used to be the best sports store in London, perhaps England. Sigh.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    If you wear a backpack, get a Hump - visible from Mars

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I've gone the other way, really. I have some reflective stuff for night, but I've ditched my stupid bright yellow jacket in favour of normal cycling jerseys.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)