I'm going Hi-vis

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Friday last week, I was on my way to work and got stopped a Colliers Wood tube by Merton Council representatives who were promoting the Cycle Superhighway.

Eager to take my thoughts I gave them, which were all positive as my email address was being taken down for a competition. The lady representative (you see there were two, one male, one female) gave me a goody bag and asked with glee and enthusiasm if I wanted a hi-vis vest.

"Um.......... y......es.......... please, thanks"

Was my reply clearly detailing my delight.

And sure to be told it was not only bright yellow but the dreaded London Underground/Building site hi-vis, which has clearly not been designed for cyclists and has very little functionality for cyclists beyond being bright. Seriously, would it kill Rapha or Castelli to take one of these, make the waist elasticy, bring in the arms, do something with the neck so it protects for the wind, stitch the front together until the belly and then add a zip for the rest? You know, perhaps a hi-vis cycle jersey or jacket with breathable material? The material on this vest was fine and was the redeeming feature.

Any way, long story made shorter. Friday was a dismal rainy day and I had to ride back from Ilford to Wimbledon. I.e. FAR! I follow this girl (no hi-vis and no lights) towards Stratford and as we pass a side road this car accelerates past me and turns left almost driving on top of her.

I don't think they tried to see her, I don't think they could, but it made me think about what I was wearing and so I begun to assess drivers reactions at the lights, driving past me etc. Maybe my findings are psycholgical, they probably are, but I felt safer and so I'm now looking for some good quality hi-vis to add to my collection.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    The short version:

Friday at Colliers Wood I was given a hi-vis vest to wear by Merton Council who were promoting the cycle lane.

I wore it on the way home, which was a really dark and rainy day.

I'm not sure if it was actual or just me, but I felt safer and I felt that being bright made people more aware of me and me of them.

So I'm now going to try to find some good quality and fashionable hi-vis, primarily in the form of a jacket.

If anyone knows of such a jacket that has breathable material and isn't boil in the bag, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    So I'm now going to try to find some good quality and fashionable hi-vis, primarily in the form of a jacket.

If anyone knows of such a jacket that has breathable material and isn't boil in the bag, please let me know.

Thanks.

This one?

030.jpg

I think it would look nice on you.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    I already own that one, in yellow. It's the exact type!

I wish they had pink, then I could buy Campag Athena and push the gender boundaries that much further, what with my addicition to Nair and all that....

Hi-vis jacket?
    Hi-vis gillet?
    hi-vis jersey and bag?
    Food Chain number = 4

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I've been on the same route to enlightenment.

I've always purchased more practical clothing that looks better off the bike and relied on good lights.

Having a change of tact this winter and adding hi-viz where I can, starting with my spokes. May add some black or white 3M scotch light stickers to my frame, bags, helmet etc. and maybe wear a sam brown belt on bad days (cheaper than a new jacket!).
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Rapha Stowaway, great jacket.

I have a high viz orange one (last years model) i think they may have some in the clearance section.
  • I've been on the high-vis wagon since last winter, got the high-vis version of the dhb Amberley rain-proof jacket and opted for the high-vis windproof Altura jacket when I got my C+ subscription. Both are tailored for riding a bike and do their jobs rather well! The windproof one packs down small enough that it can be stashed in a jersey pocket so can be used for weekend rides.

The obvious benefit is that is does [apparently] make you easier to spot and when it comes to myopic drivers in the depths of winter I'll take all the help I can get!

It's also rather amusing scalping people in high-vis :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • *takes DDDs post at face value and assumes it's not sarcasm.

I use Hi viz/ Reflectives regularly if cycling in duller conditions, cycling as I do in unlight rural areas and busy main roads and rarely in 'city' environments.

As a driver I know that Hi Viz is more eyecatching in these scenarios. I wear it fully in the knowledge that it won't stop bad driving but I believe it gives the drivers more information to work on.

I recently picked up a cheap Hi Viz gilet from Sports Direct (Karrimor £10) which I'll throw over my winter jacket. I'll also be investing in overshoes with reflective patches on the heels (Altura poss.)

I will also be investing in a top quality front light and a turbo trainer

ETA 2 clubmates (very experienced riders) have been Smidsyed in the last 3 weeks...makes you think about these things
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I will also be investing in a top quality front light and a turbo trainer

Am I missing something? How is a turbo trainer going to make you more visible? Are you going to drag it behind you and rely on the sparks it kicks up from the road?

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Am I missing something? How is a turbo trainer going to make you more visible? Are you going to drag it behind you and rely on the sparks it kicks up from the road?

I won't need to be visible...I'll be hiding in the shed by that stage.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    Links to stuff please!
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg66 wrote:

I won't need to be visible...I'll be hiding in the shed by that stage.

Ah. Got it.

I knew I should have justified the bluray player to Mrs. G66 with a cycling safety angle.

"But darling, if we get it, all the time I'm watching it I'll be safe from being run over on my bike" :idea:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Links to stuff please!

I reckon some of this stuff would be ideal for you.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I have a very good Pearl iZumi hi-viz gillet which is fitted enough to not flap in the wind, + a back pocket for keys/snotrag. Also on those too-cold-for-just-a-jersey-but-not-cold-enough-for-anything-thicker days, it stops a fair bit of wind at the front, but has plenty of mesh at the back...

Bugger! Just checked with Wiggle, and it's been discontinued. Sugoi do something very similar:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sugoi_Zap_Hi-Viz_Wind_Resistant_Gilet/5360048668/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Had a similar experience to DDD, cycling through Mitcham in the rain last week: lad with no lights on a BSO in dark jeans and trackie top - virtually invisible. Rode behind him for a while (at a suitable non-creepy distance) as the road was busy and people seemed to be at least giving me some space.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Links to stuff please!

I reckon some of this stuff would be ideal for you.

None of them are high-vis tho ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Links to stuff please!

Stuff
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    This Karrimor Short sleeve cycling tee is OK for me.

I don't think you can go wrong at £8.99

Moderately open weave polyester
    scotchlite reflective trims,
    High vis orange (brighter than in the photo)
    traditional three rear pockets
    additional zipped rear key pocket
    Elasticated waist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    jimmypippa wrote:

I bought one of those recently. Haven't used it yet though. It really is very, very bright.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • iPete has a point re stickers though, just as effective minus the need for wearing a yellow sweatbag - Viz my courier bag:

4948752832_2cfef2cf94.jpg
  • rjsterry
    Good point. No point getting a hi-viz gillet then hiding it behind a big non-viz bag.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jimmypippa
    rjsterry wrote:
    Good point. No point getting a hi-viz gillet then hiding it behind a big non-viz bag.

Ah! Panniers are my solution. And with a bright tee shirt, my back can keep cool as I don't need another layer.
  • "Arco" not sure if its a national company does some v-good "Hi Viz" nylon polo shirt in both orange and yellow. Very comfortable breathable and seem to wash well , all sorts of other gear as well
  • I use one off these and find it comfy and dont get too sweaty with it on

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/polaris-men ... et-p103579
  • Saw this stuff in a pop-up shop near Rapha Cycle Club earlier in the summer, ideal for the hipster/fgss amongst you:

http://www.lostvalues.com/boutique/lflect.html

Especially liked the wooly scarves.
  • Poundland has hi-viz jackets and hi-viz tape in at the moment.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    SportsDirect do a load of karrimor high vis gear at the moment and they`re very cheap. There`s one in Colliers Wood too
  • jimmypippa
    dugliss wrote:
    SportsDirect do a load of karrimor high vis gear at the moment and they`re very cheap. There`s one in Colliers Wood too

I think they will do for some time.

Karrimor went bust earlier this decade, when they started trying to be a "lifestyle brand" instead of a pretty good outdoors manufacturer*.

Their owner also owns Field and Trek and SportsDirect.

*Bah humbug.
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    I think they`re something to do with Lilywhites too. Although the Karrimor stuff is probably not the greatest quality it still looks very good value for money, especially up against most cycle specific clothing which just seems ridiculously overpriced IMO