Tough ride out of Manchester Holme Moss & Saddleworth

gavinbay
gavinbay Posts: 144
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Being a Southern Jessie found myself uppp North and had an afternoon to kill whilst the other half was working - obvioulsy had taken the bike with me - via Goggle Maps had sussed out a route which I cycled the first part on Bank Hol Monday up to Mottram out on the A57 - this morning Tues went to FW Evans and mentioned my plans - some guy there said my route was closer to 70 mls - which I thougt was quite OTT even if my route planning on Google Maps was a wee bit in accurate.......I thought more like 55mls

So today went out, what I was not ready for was the volume of traffic, pretty damn scary at times on the A628 once off that on the climb up to Holme Moss A6024 lot less traffic and a really nice ride - then dropped down into Homfirth and missed the turning back to Manchester and had to retrace route, then back over Saddleworth to Manchester - so good ride and packed some vertical in - only hassle was the traffic - makes one appreciate how good the roads are back here around the South Downs - only problem is that we don't get the vertical track log here - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46988145

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    When I plan out routes I always make sure to avoid the roads like the A57, horrible experience for bicycles.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    There are similar routes to what you did that have less traffic on them and still take in the same climbs.

You just happened to pick one of the major routes that leads to Sheffield.

Still - Holme Moss is a killer climb (a little harder the opposite way IMO) so you did well.

Lots of roads 'up here' that don't have cars whizzing by at 80MPH.
  • In hindsight should have posted on here asking what would be the best route - though correct me if I'm wrong my "Hilly" options were somewhat limited being based right in Manchester City Center - anyway enjoyed the ride and the climbs - interesting looking at your hills FreeHub on your Garmin link.

In March (this year) was out in Serre Chevalier for 5 weeks & did Col Du Lauteret on the bike after I trashed myself skiing IMAG0182.jpg - however also did Galibier and a few other local cols, ski touring.!

P1040549.jpg

galibier.jpg

galibier1.jpg

galibier2.jpg
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    That looks like a nice adventure.

And from the city center your options are not limited at all, I was in the city center for 2 years, like right in the center, and I could get a hilly route in, around 60-70 miles with up to 5000ft of ascent and much better roads.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/19633583
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2738783
  • Avoid the A628 at all costs! It's like a motorway between Manchester and Sheffield.

Go A635 - > Wakefield road - > Holmfirth road -> take a right after the Meltham turn off down greengate road -> Wood head road and climb Holme moss -> go right at the bottom for a short section of the A628 - > left onto B6105 -> follow it back to Glossop, Hyde, Manchester etc... About 45 miles.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    ^- what he said
  • Aaaaahhh kept looking up at the road (B6105) thinking that would have been a much better (safer) route but had no idea it was there - oh well thanks and lessons learnt for next time!

Think doing a 60 - 70 miler might be a bit OTT bearing in mind have to drive back down to the Sarf Coast afterwards and need to stay awake!
  • Nowt wrong with a bit of woodhead - just ride defensivley and be aware