Magicshine MJ- 816 / 808

mattyboy199
mattyboy199 Posts: 627
edited November 2010 in MTB general
So i planned on purchasing a magicshine light, before purchasing i did a bit of research & light for £ was deemed to be good. Imported lights seemed to be of a slightly lower spec & build quality therefore ruled out, the additional £20 odd quid seemed well worth it just for piece of mind & easily returnable within the UK should i have any problems. Some other reviews i red talked about its use off road which described it be a little wobbly when hitting the bumps (off road), this was was mainly due to the rubber O ring / hook mount which i also thought seemed a little naff for a light over £100.

I decided to contact magicshine UK to see if there was any news of any product design revisions / updates i also deisplayed my concern with the mounting system, they assured me the rubber O ring / hook mount was secure & capable (less than 30 seconds to mount was stated which is of no benefit to me if i m constanly re-directing the light throughout a ride, i would rather spend more time being prerpared than being unprepared when it counts most).

After all this i took the plunge and bought the MJ-816 (1400 Lumens), the light is great totally capable in un-lit areas (i never doubted it), the first night it was hammering it down & the light coped well ! As for the rubber O ring / hook mount its CRAP ! everytime i hit a bump at speed it was changing its line of direction which just annoyed me, a few days later i noticed the anodising had rubbed off my bars due to the rubber base moving back & fourth. So i did some more searching around & found someone that posted his finding of a universal mount that worked with the magicshine great idea i thought the perfect answer again did the obvious search in places such as crc, ebay & amazon for universal mounts (i didnt really find much). I searched through some old bike parts to find my trusty halogen cateye with detachable sliding mount from the light itself, even the screw was the perfect length & same thread size all i needed to do was pack out the base of the magicshine with some rubber gaskets due to the power cord from battery entering the unit at the base (i used a gasket supplied with another light clamp) job done the light is now rock solid !

p3pb5568040.jpg

matt
Show me your green bits i might buy them !

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Please use paragraphs! It makes it much easier to read!

Well done on finding a solution though.
    Do you know anywhere were the mount can be bought, just in case someone wants to do the same.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CATEYE-cat-eye-fr ... ike_Lights

that is the light i took the mount from its a cateye HL-500II
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    I'm thinking about getting 2 Magicshine 808s and sticking one on top of the helmet.
    What are you running on your head.
    Are you getting the stated run time on the batteries?
    Don't think, BE:
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    And that's just answered the one problem I had with that light. Full marks, go to the top of classs and get a gold star!
    Time to wave the plastic!
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    The Electron mounts off CRC also work, the thread is the same as hold the current mount on, all you need to do pack the screw out with a Grommet

Theres a guide on this on in the what lights thread about 6 months + ago!

The pics can be seen on my pinkbike!

The electron mount takes a little linger to get right, but leaves your bars clutter free for day rides and is useful as it can swap from bike to bike easily! (tool free)

Nice try but i beat you too it im afraid!
  • moggy82 wrote:
    The Electron mounts off CRC also work, the thread is the same as hold the current mount on, all you need to do pack the screw out with a Grommet

The electron mount takes a little linger to get right, but leaves your bars clutter free for day rides and is useful as it can swap from bike to bike easily! (tool free)

You may have beat me to it but you told no one about it ! This mount is tool free & you can buy the bar mount seperatley to have on multiple bikes. Can you post the link for the thread in what lights ?
  • wobbem wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting 2 Magicshine 808s and sticking one on top of the helmet.
    What are you running on your head.
    Are you getting the stated run time on the batteries?

I think alot of people go for the 2 x 808's, i went for the 816 cause i knew i would regret not getting the better model as for battery life i havent used it enough to comment or even taken note of power on & off times on a full charge. I do know if you run 2 x 808's your ll need 2 x battery packs unless you buy the splitter wires but dont know alot about it.
  • wesk
    linky to the exact CRC bracket needed please?

Thanks
  • wesk wrote:
    linky to the exact CRC bracket needed please?

Thanks

I would also be intersted to know what mount this is ?
  • I got one of the 816's last week from MagicShine UK as well after reading tonnes of stuff and nearly buying some CRC NukeProofs. Very quick delivery, unfortunately after charging them for the first time, the main LED blew (went all brown inside). I guess this is just a freak happening (maybe it had been damaged in transport or something) as I haven't read about this happening to anyone else.

Anyway, contacted MagicShine customer service at about 23:00 on Friday, got a reply Saturday morning apologising profusely for the problem and had a brand new set delivered to my house 7:45 on Tuesday morning (bearing in mind Monday was a bank holiday)!

Amazing customer service, so I would definitely recommend getting them from MagicShine UK as opposed to DX, just in case something goes wrong.

I havent actually used them yet, but the new ones seem to work working fine :).
  • plus as long as im not wrong... you pay import tax on anything over 50 quid. then you pay the vat again and a 10 quid handling charge. so im guessing there wont be a lot of difference in buying from dealextreme..... if im right :)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    lock1981
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone paying customs charges on DX stuff though. They tend to mark packages as "$10 gift" or something like that.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Hi Matty,

Great to hear you like this light, I'm considering buying it.

Is there any reason as to why this couldn't be mounted on a helmet ?

Cheers, Grant

So i planned on purchasing a magicshine light, before purchasing i did a bit of research & light for £ was deemed to be good. Imported lights seemed to be of a slightly lower spec & build quality therefore ruled out, the additional £20 odd quid seemed well worth it just for piece of mind & easily returnable within the UK should i have any problems. Some other reviews i red talked about its use off road which described it be a little wobbly when hitting the bumps (off road), this was was mainly due to the rubber O ring / hook mount which i also thought seemed a little naff for a light over £100.

I decided to contact magicshine UK to see if there was any news of any product design revisions / updates i also deisplayed my concern with the mounting system, they assured me the rubber O ring / hook mount was secure & capable (less than 30 seconds to mount was stated which is of no benefit to me if i m constanly re-directing the light throughout a ride, i would rather spend more time being prerpared than being unprepared when it counts most).

After all this i took the plunge and bought the MJ-816 (1400 Lumens), the light is great totally capable in un-lit areas (i never doubted it), the first night it was hammering it down & the light coped well ! As for the rubber O ring / hook mount its CRAP ! everytime i hit a bump at speed it was changing its line of direction which just annoyed me, a few days later i noticed the anodising had rubbed off my bars due to the rubber base moving back & fourth. So i did some more searching around & found someone that posted his finding of a universal mount that worked with the magicshine great idea i thought the perfect answer again did the obvious search in places such as crc, ebay & amazon for universal mounts (i didnt really find much). I searched through some old bike parts to find my trusty halogen cateye with detachable sliding mount from the light itself, even the screw was the perfect length & same thread size all i needed to do was pack out the base of the magicshine with some rubber gaskets due to the power cord from battery entering the unit at the base (i used a gasket supplied with another light clamp) job done the light is now rock solid !

p3pb5568040.jpg

matt
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Ah excellent, i was going to buy one of these to replace said cateye light! Nice one 8)
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I am seriously considering these as well
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Hi guys what is the actual real life burn time on these lights?

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Ooh, I like, might have to look into these when it starts getting darker.
  • t0pc4t
    would also like to know this if there's info on the different settings as I'd be buying it to use in the CLIC 24 next year
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • what do you mean by type of settings ?
  • t0pc4t
    hasn't it got various output settings in terms of brightness?

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Ok these are the settings / modes

Theres 3 light, 2 sides & 1 main.

Mode 1 - Side lights only
    Mode 2 - Main beam only
    Mode 3 - All of the above

Holding down the button allows dimming of each of the above modes.

Obviously power comsumption is reduced on lower output settings, as yet i havent ran the battery down fully, on road there isnt a need for full beam at its brightest level however it does get you noticed.
  • t0pc4t
    cool thanks Matty

I'll probably get it for the CLIC anyway as they look like best buy for the money by a long shot.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • CLIC ?
  • t0pc4t

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6

• Is there any reason as to why this couldn't be mounted on a helmet ?

p3pb5568040.jpg

Coz you'd look like Mickey Mouse?!

It looks a little bulky for helmet mounting to me...?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • wesk
    Just been looking around for mounts - would this fit these lights do you think?

http://www.spokeshirts.co.uk/product.ph ... 265&page=1

If so, it's a winner!
  • moggy82 wrote:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=6091

Single or double! Not micro! Double is in stock more often!
  • Irri_Tant
    Irri_Tant Posts: 195

Hold the button in for 2 seconds and they switch off :wink:
  • Irri_Tant wrote:

not on my UK spec 816
  • Irri_Tant wrote:

not on my UK spec 816

+1

Hold the button down and they dim, cycle through the modes to switch off.

I am using this light on the bars with an exposure joystick on the helmet which works great and certainly gets you noticed on dark roads.

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07