Hardtail vs full susser

on-one
on-one Posts: 85
edited September 2010 in MTB general
Just been up the Whinlatter trail center in the lake district and I also done a big ride around the peak district a couple of months ago. I did both these rides on a hardtail i never saw anyone else on a hardtail up the peak district and yet I went down the descents faster than all me mates of there heavy full sussers and I climbed the hill a dam site quicker. What the sence in lugging around complex suspension designs when you can do the job just aswell on a hardtail by using your legs to absorb the bumps. Besides that a hardtail is cheaper and more challenging, there is a far greater sence of acomplishment when you hit the bottom of a descent surrounded by big suspension bike knowing you have same challenge.
Want cash back on online purchases from CRC ebay TESCO and 000s more? Its completely free, Visit this site: http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/member62282200556

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can anyone say "Troll, who also posts in the wrong section"?
  • Can anyone say "Troll, who also posts in the wrong section"?

Go for it Yeehaa...

Clearly On-One hasn't ridden a bike with Quad Link II. :D
  • LeighM
    LeighM Posts: 156
    PING... Popcorn anyone?
    2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    sheepsteeth....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Here's how I see it.

HT almost always faster.
    FS almost always more fun.

Make your choice, but there's a reason the market can sustain masses of choice in FS and HT...
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I see this all the time on this forum.....

What the hell is a 'troll'??
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Somebody who posts for the sole purpose of trying to wind people up and cause arguments.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Very poor effort at trolling (shouldn't bother replying but I will anyway....).

People have different preferences, that's life.

The answer to your question anyway is you should have both, be able to ride both uphill and downhill quicker than your mates on either. You are now able to live life feeling smug in Trollhall safe in the knowledge you are much smarter than everyone else who only rides a FS and can't match your god like ability to ride a bike.

If you want a serious answer/debate to your original post try to rephrase it not to sound like a complete k**b looking for an argument.

How far are you taking this HT argument anyway, is it all the way to the pansies who feel they have to have a FS downhill bike to win the World Champs? Maybe you should point out to them that a HT would be quicker?
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I own both. Enjoy riding both.

But....with technical terrain, up and down, the FS is quicker. If its flat and smooth then the HT wins.

If I were to have one bike...the FS gets the nod.
  • To be fair, the topic might be done to death on here, but not everyone spends their days trawling through full-suss v hardtail debates on the internet, and it's a perfectly legitimate question.

Everytime I pick up a magazine, page after page, after page, it's all full-suss. I'm almost certain that all the people that claim to ride hardtails on here are making it up! And if i didn't know any better, I'd ask the same question.

And yes, hardtails are better :wink:
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    dodgy wrote:
    Here's how I see it.

HT almost always faster.

Make your choice, but there's a reason the market can sustain masses of choice in FS and HT...

What does thou good sar base this uponth?
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    my 2 pence, just like on-one's 2 pence (well it was more like 1 pence to be honest), is that after having HT's for about 20 yrs and getting my first full susser recently, FS rocks!

On-one: sounds like you heading that purist way of the fixie no brakes gang, messenger bag and all. Let me guess you ride a hard hit HT with around 120mm of travel "cos nobody needs more that", and you are thinking of going single speed with rigid forks?

Embrace the technology mate, give it a shot. You can always go back to your old rig, or keep it on the wall above the fireplace.... :D
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • obvious_troll.jpg
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Try both.

Get what you want.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    To be fair, the topic might be done to death on here, but not everyone spends their days trawling through full-suss v hardtail debates on the internet, and it's a perfectly legitimate question.

It would be a perfectly legitimate question if it was one. If you re-read the OP it's a statement that On-One is faster uphill and downhill that his mates on his HT and that there is no sense in lugging heavy, complex, expensive FS bikes around when you can do the job of rear sus with your legs.

If it was a well worded question opening up a debate there wouldn't be the same responses he has received.

I have FS bikes and have recently built up a HT - I absolutely love it and can see where the enjoyment lies in them although heading around Innerleithen again I'd prefer my FS as my arms hurt a lot by the end of it!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Valy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Here's how I see it.

HT almost always faster.

I don't think what I posted is that controversial. What are your thoughts?
  • What he didn't point out though is that while he was riding his On-one around the lakes without seeing another hardtail the whole time, all the paint fell off as soon as someone looked at it.

:twisted:
  • Valy
    dodgy wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    Here's how I see it.

HT almost always faster.

I don't think what I posted is that controversial. What are your thoughts?

Oh my, my views are that it most controversially worded.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    why do you need suspension of any sort? :D

the guy from alf jones in wrexham went around the red (llandegla) on a road bike, seemed to enjoy it

why need wheels? when you can walk

bad try on-one
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • I'm wondering what it would be like to ride these trails on a penny farthing? :wink:
  • Valy
    The first time I read the OP I did not think he was trollin' :/
  • I used to be %100 pro-hardtail. Then I recently got my full sus freeride bike. I love it, its great for what its intended to do....things my HT cant do ie DH. But for XC I still prefer hardtail. No bike design is necessarily better than the other. It just depends on your intended applications. My hardtail would fall apart doing DH, and if it didnt fall apart, it means I fell and hurt myself before I could break anything. My fs is amazing for DH but its way to heavy and slow (when not descending) to be good for anything but what its meant to be used for.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    My body is full sus; it work quite well although after a ride it sometimes feels like a HT :P
    Many happy trails!
  • well HT is the ONLY way to ride.

I like to kick off my ride with a quick blitz down the high street on the pavement ofc,
    then when i get to my local trail i burn down the foot path kickig dogs and shouting boo at grannies. I use my SPDs to great affect as it allows me to realy get the powe down as i burn up the 25m climb, any one that rides flats need to mtfu, If i did this on the FS bike i would be 1/2 that man that i am on a HT.

HT are safer as after i have kicked a dog in the nutts if he bolts in to my rear triangle he wont get stuck in my suspention.
    Ii then drink from my bottle in my bottle cage.. i mean who would use a ruck sack and a bladder.
    dam to i look good in my lycra who would use baggies
    Best of all is when the wind is blowing and i can feel it in my hair as i dont have a helmet on.
    I then sit down an read the daily mail.

:wink:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bikerbaboon
    :lol:

Mac or PC? :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    well HT is the ONLY way to ride.

I like to kick off my ride with a quick blitz down the high street on the pavement ofc,
    then when i get to my local trail i burn down the foot path kickig dogs and shouting boo at grannies. I use my SPDs to great affect as it allows me to realy get the powe down as i burn up the 25m climb, any one that rides flats need to mtfu, If i did this on the FS bike i would be 1/2 that man that i am on a HT.

HT are safer as after i have kicked a dog in the nutts if he bolts in to my rear triangle he wont get stuck in my suspention.
    Ii then drink from my bottle in my bottle cage.. i mean who would use a ruck sack and a bladder.
    Best of all is when the wind is blowing and i can feel it in my hair as i dont have a helmet on.

shows what you know, i bet you havent even tried a fs bike yet you come on here with your sanctimonious preaching and as for riding on th pavement, i hope you get jailed.

also, i dont know why people on bikes hate dogs so much, if anyone kicked mine id kick them to death.
  • All full of utter crap.

Pretty much it's mostly down to the rider and there style. Some suits others don't i go faster on FS up and down so meh.

Shite topic.
  • It is %100 contingent upon your riding style and the terrain you ride
  • well HT is the ONLY way to ride.

shows what you know, i bet you havent even tried a fs bike yet you come on here with your sanctimonious preaching and as for riding on th pavement, i hope you get jailed.

also, i dont know why people on bikes hate dogs so much, if anyone kicked mine id kick them to death.

I think that was said with a hint of irony :P
    2010 Cube AMS Pro 125 RX
    2010 On One 456ss, RS Reba, SLX, Juicy 3s
    2008 Giant XTC 3.5 (Sold)

2010 Cube Attention (RIP, stolen in September)
  • shows what you know, i bet you havent even tried a fs bike yet you come on here with your sanctimonious preaching and as for riding on th pavement, i hope you get jailed.

I'll kick you to death in a minute!