The biggest hills around London?

nicksaiz
nicksaiz Posts: 3
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
What are the toughest hills around London?
I am looking for the biggest hills I can reach in a day.
Are there any over 200metres?

These are some have ridden, estimates from google earth:
hills dist climb percent
spring Hill, Hackney 0.250km 20m 8%
epping new road(past Robin Hood Pub) 1.850km 51m 3%
epping tube 1.200km 49m 4% max8%
highgate hill 1.110km 60m 5.5% max8%
hapstead West hill 0.960km 68m 7% max10%
holligbourne Kent 1.150km 100m 8.7%
Bluebell hill, Kent 3.670km 117m 3%

Comments

• nicksaiz wrote:
    These are some have ridden, estimates from google earth:
    hills dist climb percent
    spring Hill, Hackney 0.250km 20m 8%

You call that a hill? You're avin a larf!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You'd probably get some 200m+ climbs in the Chilterns - the Chiltern 100 sportive route takes you through most of the climbs: http://www.chiltern-hundred.org.uk/pdf/ ... sheets.pdf

You can happily spend a day zig zagging up and down them and if you don't fancy the cycle out there, you can get the train to Reading/High Wycombe/Risboro/Amersham etc and get straight on it.

You might want to have a look at this too http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Greatest-Cy ... 0711231206
  • There are hills in the Ashdown Forest that are over 200m tall - and there are a bunch around Westerham/Brasted in Kent that are pretty challenging. Ide Hill, Toys Hill, Crockham Hill etc ... then of course there's the classic Boxhill, but it's not that hard -it's just one it's fun to ride because of all the other cyclists you see there.

Hope that helps - there are plenty of people on here who can recommend hills around London more knowledgeably than I can.

ScottieP
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Yorks Hill is about 16% continuously for 3-400 metres. Sundridge Hill is a bit of a killer too. In London itself, One Tree Hill is pretty nasty, Sydenham Hill is short and sharp, Anerley Hill.... In fact there are a lot of fairly steep hills around Crystal Palace, Sydenham etc in SE London
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ScottieP wrote:
    There are hills in the Ashdown Forest that are over 200m tall - and there are a bunch around Westerham/Brasted in Kent that are pretty challenging. Ide Hill, Toys Hill, Crockham Hill etc ... then of course there's the classic Boxhill, but it's not that hard -it's just one it's fun to ride because of all the other cyclists you see there.

Hope that helps - there are plenty of people on here who can recommend hills around London more knowledgeably than I can.

ScottieP

One side of Toys is pretty nasty as is Ide, not that steep, they just go one forever... Box Hill isn't steep...
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    I often do reps of Toys Hill as it's relatively continental in that you'll be climbing for 10-15 minutes but it isn't hugely steep. You can then head back into London via Brasted, Cudham etc.
  • phreak wrote:
    I often do reps of Toys Hill as it's relatively continental in that you'll be climbing for 10-15 minutes but it isn't hugely steep. You can then head back into London via Brasted, Cudham etc.

Which side do you do? One is long and steady and just takes some grinding, the other is much steeper... I always forget which is which...
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    The side nearest London. Go up there, turn left before the pub and roll down the adjacent road, then back round and up again. Do that a few times, then ride back.
  • some nasty ones near oxted, white lane, titsey, chalkpits & gangers all 15%+ in places. Chalkpits holds a steady 22% for a long time. Titsey is comparitively epic for a uk climb, 16% at the bottom then down to 12 for what seems like ages before it finally gets easier towards the top.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    You lot need to book some time off work and go up north, some real climbs up there in the moors, peaks and dales.
  • Maze Hill, Greenwich, London. Not very long tho.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 15&iwloc=A
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    A humpback bridge though there are probably 10 sets of traffic lights on it :lol:

Oh 17 miles I'm heading up the Mournes and no traffic lights between my house and there :lol::lol:
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    dave milne wrote:
    some nasty ones near oxted, white lane, titsey, chalkpits & gangers all 15%+ in places. Chalkpits holds a steady 22% for a long time. Titsey is comparitively epic for a uk climb, 16% at the bottom then down to 12 for what seems like ages before it finally gets easier towards the top.

I have just checked on memory map re Titsey - 240 m vertical gain in c. 2 km on the B269 - so that is a tester. At the top, at the roundabout, the first left down to Park Farm will be steeper - do you know its condition?

PS: I cannot find Chalkpits or Gangers and would appreciate some guidance/OS grid ref if posssible
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Go up to Alexandra Palace, then drop down to go up Muswell Hill then onwards to Highgate etc I guess. All short though.

Check out Bikely for north London loops etc
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • gbs
    @davemilne : OK have found Hangers Hill W of Gravelly Hill - double chevron.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Chalkpit Lane is the only road that heads north out of Oxted. I'll be suffering up it later today. It's tough for SE England, consistently steep for a long time.
  • Did Chalkpit Hill today for the 1st time on a club ride, it's a relatively short sharp shocker
  • HH, which club do you ride with?

I am local and seem to cover similar roads on my rides.

cheers.
  • porker33 wrote:
    HH, which club do you ride with?

I am local and seem to cover similar roads on my rides.

cheers.

Both Dulwich Paragon and GS Avanti
  • Tks.....good call....I was considering either, it hadn't really occurred to me to join both!

Cheers.
  • porker33 wrote:
    Tks.....good call....I was considering either, it hadn't really occurred to me to join both!

Cheers.

Yeah they're both good clubs. Only prob with GS Avanti is that you have to cycle or train it down to the start point (near Chelsfield station) for their club rides and I often seem to miss the train or it's not running etc. DP is more accessible in this respect as it's a short buzz up to the cafe in Crystal Palace.

GS Avanti is much smaller and more welcoming, I've literally only been out on 3 or 4 rides with them but I'm on their email list and they're always asking after me and when I'll be out next. DP is more anonymous, there are various sub sets within the club - the racing set, the "touring/social" set etc etc. I seem to fall between the cracks a bit - I don't race but I like a fast club ride so end up out on race training rides, however because I don't race I don't tend to get spoken to much, just not in the clique! Fine by me though as all I want to do is ride really...
  • Do you do the saturday club rides with Paragon? Am a newbie there myself, will keep an eye out & say hi if I run in to you (.. just found this thread googling Toys Hill, psyching myself up for Ride of the Falling Leaves a few weeks from now)
  • wulfhound wrote:
    Do you do the saturday club rides with Paragon? Am a newbie there myself, will keep an eye out & say hi if I run in to you (.. just found this thread googling Toys Hill, psyching myself up for Ride of the Falling Leaves a few weeks from now)

I occasionally do the Sat rides, but these days mostly the Sunday rides. I only do Sat if I know that I'm going to be out on Sat night and probably unable to get out of bed on Sun morning! Sat ride is more social, it's good fun chatting to all sorts of people at the cafe after the ride. That doesn't really happen on the Sunday ride, once back in London everyone generally shoots off...
  • Tks for your thoughts...I am in C/hurst, so Chelsfield is easier than C/Palace.

Much the same situation, I tend to ride 16-18mph average over these groups and slower when riding with/waiting for mates, so I needed the fast club ride without actually having to race.

I have seen Avanti out a few times over near Ashdown forest and locally, they always acknowledge the lone rider,,,where as Paragon (very) clearly do not.

From this I got the impression there was far more of a clique within paragon, which i don't really care for, so may start of with Avanti...tks again.
  • gbs
    [quote="Headhuunter"

Yeah they're both good clubs. Only prob with GS Avanti is that you have to cycle or train it down to the start point (near Chelsfield station) for their club rides and I often seem to miss the train or it's not running etc.

I seem to fall between the cracks a bit - I don't race but I like a fast club ride ..[/quote]

Me too - deep in the cracks. I might try GSAvanti Wednesday AM rides BUT the road from E Croydon to Green St Green appears to be dual carriage way and is a feeder for the M25. I do not fancy 15k of that as a warmup. Is there a cycle friendly route?
  • gbs wrote:
    [quote="Headhuunter"

Yeah they're both good clubs. Only prob with GS Avanti is that you have to cycle or train it down to the start point (near Chelsfield station) for their club rides and I often seem to miss the train or it's not running etc.

I seem to fall between the cracks a bit - I don't race but I like a fast club ride ..

Me too - deep in the cracks. I might try GSAvanti Wednesday AM rides BUT the road from E Croydon to Green St Green appears to be dual carriage way and is a feeder for the M25. I do not fancy 15k of that as a warmup. Is there a cycle friendly route?[/quote]

I've only ever taken the train down to the start line TBH
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    porker33 wrote:
    Tks for your thoughts...I am in C/hurst, so Chelsfield is easier than C/Palace.

Much the same situation, I tend to ride 16-18mph average over these groups and slower when riding with/waiting for mates, so I needed the fast club ride without actually having to race.

I have seen Avanti out a few times over near Ashdown forest and locally, they always acknowledge the lone rider,,,where as Paragon (very) clearly do not.

From this I got the impression there was far more of a clique within paragon, which i don't really care for, so may start of with Avanti...tks again.

Sorry to jump on but if your Chslehurst have you looked at Woolwich CC, West Kent CC or Gemini BC?

More local to you.

Woolwich go from Danson park, Bexley and both West kent and Gemini go from either end of Birchwood Road, Wilmington.
  • I've also just recently joined Dulwich Paragon. I went along to the Saturday ride on the 4th and will be going again this weekend. I'm interested in doing the ROTFL in a few weeks time. I'm interested in the ROTFL in a few weeks, Wulfhound if you're attending the saturday ride this weekend i'll say hi, maybe have a chat about theeROTFL. Cheers, James
  • Hi Thudpucker,

I think ROTFL is nearly full, better get your skates on :)

Me and one of the other Paragon riders are planning on doing a recce ride for it this Saturday morning, weather permitting. Plan is to do the first half of the long course (to Edenbridge) then back via a shorter route incorporating Toys Hill and Westerham.. 50ish miles all up. We're meeting 8:30am at Cafe St Germain if you'd like to join us.

Cheers,
    Angus.