Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is there such a thing?
  • pmorgan1
    pmorgan1 Posts: 173
    Apparently there are such......

What would you recommend?
  • Anonymous
    I can't recommend one, as I didn't know they existed!

The ones for running are no good as they are on your wrist, so you can't look at it whilst cycling...
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Isn't this a bit of a deal-breaker?
    please remember that STRAPLESS heart rate monitors will only provide a heart rate reading while you have your fingers on the SENSORS. This reading will REFRESH and show changes in heart rate ONLY while you keep your fingers on the sensors....
    http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/bowfl ... itors.html
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    NapoleonD wrote:

The ones for running are no good as they are on your wrist, so you can't look at it whilst cycling...

I think the post refers to the strap around your chest!!!

But, Polar make a bracket for your handlebars, so you can wrap a watch strap type monitoraround it... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    hopper1 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I think the post refers to the strap around your chest!!!

But, Polar make a bracket for your handlebars, so you can wrap a watch strap type monitoraround it... :wink:

The strap is to hold the sensor for heart rate monitoring therefore by not using a unit which uses a chest strap necessarily implies heart rate is being monitored elsewhere. I presume he meant that a wrist watch was monitoring the pulse rate here therefore it has to be worn on the wrist otherwise where does the heart rate data come from so that solution wouldn't work I'm afraid.
  • Anonymous
    I was, the running strapless heart rate monitors measure pulse at the wrist on the wrist strap...

Useless on a bike.
  • pmorgan1
    Are there any with a strap that you can recommend? Naturally Polar and Garmin spring to mind... I also do occasionally run, so would be good to have an all-rounder device that keeps track of the HR as well as total calories consumption... Ideally those that cost a touch less than a fortune...

Tks.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just get a basic polar without all the bells and whistles. Calory consumption doesnt really work that well so forget that - and yes - you do need the strap for it to be accurate and work when exercising.

Dont bother with a HRM unless you're gonna test your max though.
  • Anonymous
    Basic Polar with a bar mount. Calories are way out so don't bother with that.

As for testing, I wouldn't test for Max as it's nigh on impossible, testing for threshold is, IM (and my coach's) O easier and more applicable.

Google 'threshold heart rate test' and you'll get a wealth of info on testing and zones...
  • pmorgan1
    Thanks all