Llangdegla was great, the people there were not.

Comments

• As a point when i was riding cwm the other day i realized i wasn't saying hey to many people...

it's my local and since it was i was on a solo riding trying to ride the loop as hard an fast as i can, Now talking even a bit on serious heavy level climbing does require breath. So i figure if locals are quiet and there moving at speed then it's just probably because there training there ass off to be fitter and faster at trails they dont normally ride.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i live locally and ride there a fair bit some people ignore you, some nod/grunt, some have the full debate.

Occasionally the blankers (as I call them) are really going for it and just have a look of steely determination or as though their head is about to explode, but more often they just look at you as though you are some form of alien lifeform

outside the trail centre nearly everyone will say hello though, dont know what this means.

From the accents the catchment area includes manc and l'pool as well as chesire/shropshire and have chatted to a fair few from yorkshire as well.
  • :p yeh the people who are charging and look like there about to explode.. ignore them too.. or cheer them they will appreciate it hehe
  • have ridden at 'degla a dozen times or so and never really had a problem (apart from walkers on the bits of forest trail that are duel usage). usually find if you say hello most will say something back. if they don't f*ck 'em, they need to cheer up a bit.

place that i do always find a bit snooty is CYB. could be that it's just very popular or busy at the weekends but have had a couple of times when riding on my own, get a mechanical and people don't even ask if you've got everything need. My worst experience was when riding with a group mates, chasing them from the back on pink heifer, stacked it hard and knackered my shoulder (torn rotator cuff). Two lads actually rode straight past me while is was lying on the trail side post crash with out a word and another group slowed long enough to shout at me for blocking the trail while i was picking myself and bike back up!

not sure what this rant is leading to, but can't we all just get along (cheesy music starts, wistful look in eye)
  • have ridden at 'degla a dozen times or so and never really had a problem (apart from walkers on the bits of forest trail that are duel usage). usually find if you say hello most will say something back. if they don't f*ck 'em, they need to cheer up a bit.

place that i do always find a bit snooty is CYB. could be that it's just very popular or busy at the weekends but have had a couple of times when riding on my own, get a mechanical and people don't even ask if you've got everything need. My worst experience was when riding with a group mates, chasing them from the back on pink heifer, stacked it hard and knackered my shoulder (torn rotator cuff). Two lads actually rode straight past me while is was lying on the trail side post crash with out a word and another group slowed long enough to shout at me for blocking the trail while i was picking myself and bike back up!

not sure what this rant is leading to, but can't we all just get along (cheesy music starts, wistful look in eye)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    WOW, never seen anything like that at CYB. :shock:
  • Seems odd to me, I've never ridden Llangdegla only properly got into the sport this year, and working my way through the south's trails, but was saying to my mate recently that I don't think I've been involved in a friendlier sport. Last weekend doing dusky valleys even the xcountry whippets would give a hello or a good morning at 3am as they passed me panting pushing my bike up the hills.
  • Me and the missus rode deal on the bank holiday weekend too, as has been said by others, we always say thanks and hello to anyone passing us or when we pass others (not often lol). And I always ask if I can lend a hand to anyone broken down. (especially if it's a particularly nice looking stranded woman, much to the annoyance of the ball and chain hehe.

Was an awesome 2 days out there. wish there was more like in my area (Cambridge)
  • Llandegla, not deal..... Stupid iPhone predictive text :(
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Not giving a cheery hello is one thing - sometimes I know when I'm riding hard or when I'm tired I'm focused just on the trail - but not stopping when a rider is down is another thing entirely!
  • Not sure whats wrong with these people cant get my head round the ignorance, usually come across one or two of them, always at trail centres. Everyone that i know that rides is really friendly.
    The people that dont acknowledge me now i always say "Ignorant Twaat" which gets their attention every time :D
  • I like your style! fighting0057.gif
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    WelshLoon wrote:
    i always say "Ignorant Twaat" which gets their attention every time :D

That attitude could get you into a nasty situation one day.

Just saying.
  • Maybe, worth it though :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    WelshLoon wrote:
    Maybe, worth it though :twisted:
    I doubt it. See, you might do that to some unnecessarily violent, bad tempered person, like me, who just hadn't heard you the first time.
  • No mate, you can usually tell if someone hasnt heard you as apposed to being downright rude!

Anyway each to their own.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    WelshLoon wrote:
    The people that dont acknowledge me now i always say "Ignorant Twaat" which gets their attention every time :D

If you are walking down the high street shopping do you keep saying hi to everyone else you pass on your way as they are shopping to. :lol::lol::lol:
  • nonnac85 wrote:
    i nearly baulked at the cost of the parking permit.

that's why people park in he lay-by at the bottom!

£50 for a year? Bargain!

Costs me £35 everytime i go to the football...
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • I rode Llandegla for the first time on Saturday. Here are my opinions on some of the things raised in this thread:

Everyone I met was friendly. Not a single grumpy person in site

£3.50 to park is a bargain for a trail centre that's had so much work put into it. (It costs £3 to park at Sherwood Pines)

Sad to say I also saw someone leaving the dirt jump area in an ambulance, but I guess that's the nature of the sport

All in all, I was really impressed with the place. The black trails were great fun. I would say they are similar level of difficulty as some of the red sections at Dalby
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    If someone ignores your greeting - then it is my guess that they are also the kind of person that would knife you in the back given a chance OR maybe they are having a "really" bad day.

Either way, why would you want to converse with them at all. Seems to me that logically - at least you know where you stand with them. ie Stay well away.

I say "Hello" to everyone and I make no apologies about it. Met some right nutters! :) I quite like meeting people from all walks of life that just happen to have something in common.

I don't do it in the shopping centre though cos all people in shopping centres are evil..... and that's the truth....honest.
  • I think there are still plenty of friendly bikers around, I know a lot. All we can do is set the example. These miserable guys are in the minority, lets keep them there!
  • I've been riding for over 20 years and I have noticed this move towards not speaking that has gone on since the introduction of trail centers.
    The problem seems to reflect general society as most people live insular lives and are not polite to each other any more. Since mountain biking has become mainstream these people are now loose on the trails. In the old days you rarely encountered other mountain biker as people tended to ride real hills which the masses would not have attempted. Trail centers offer these ignorant folk a waymarked route so they don't have to think for themselves.
    The ride to work scheme has added to the problem, making bikes more affordable for them.

Sadly it's the price we pay for the new found popularity of the sport
  • velvet
    velvet Posts: 22
    I was up at Llandegla yesterday. All pretty enjoyable. The black runs were good value. Coming down the rockier section of the red run just after the blue/red branch off I suffered a flat. Just as I was getting out the repair kit a guy stopped, unprompted, offered to help and also gave me a new tube he was carrying. I took his name and address to send back a tube. He was a local. So my impression was completely the opposite. Lots of banter on the trail and unprompted help when required.
  • darren555
    darren555 Posts: 194
    I went on a week day not long ago so didn't meet many people on the trails.
    I thought it was good fun. The black run is fast and flowing and a real blast. Loved the drop shore.
    The pump area and the new black jump section are welcome additions too.
    The Cafe is excellent and the people I spoke to there were friendly enough.
    On my next trip to Coed-y-Brenin I plan to go via Llandegla.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Went there last Sunday, everyone was friendly and nice, it was great.

If I dont want to say hi back to someone though thats my choice and it doesn't make me a cnut, even though I am one.

Like someone said above, do you say hi to everyone you walk past doing some shopping because you're doing the shopping too? Or wave at every other car driver just because they're driving too?
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    Briggo wrote:
    Like someone said above, do you say hi to everyone you walk past doing some shopping because you're doing the shopping too? Or wave at every other car driver just because they're driving too?

Missing the point there - it's when someone doesn't reply to a cheery hello that gets the blood boiling. :x
    Although what is worse, in my view of 'Degla, is the arrogant gobsh*tes who say nowt when you pull over to let them past - a quick chase and a nudge of the back wheel usually makes the point... 8)
    Oh, and that comment regarding 'ride to work scheme making it worse'- what an terribly arrogant upper class twit comment that is! Suggesting that people who are too poor to buy an MTB are obviously lacking in social skills... :evil:
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Anonymous
    zedhead, you sound like an anus.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    zedhead wrote:
    Suggesting that people who are too poor to buy an MTB are obviously lacking in social skills... :evil:

That's probably true! That's why they're poor! :lol::lol:
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    you sound like an anus.

Oh, and you sound like a really nice bloke? :roll:
    See, you might do that to some unnecessarily violent, bad tempered person, like me, who just hadn't heard you the first time.
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    zedhead wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

Missing the point there

I'm not though am I, why do you expect people to respond, like I said in everyday activities people dont acknowledge each other so why should they suddenly do it on the trails.

There could be a multitude of reasons why they didnt respond and being cnut is just one of many.

I dont always respond back when people say hi to me because I'm either going too fast, concentrating on the course to not fall off, dont like their beard, they dont have boobs and so on.