warranty issue with scott

captain barb
captain barb Posts: 86
edited August 2010 in MTB general
bought a scott mc40 2 years ago had it service every year to keep the frame warranty up to 5 years as stated by scott.
First issue the rear bearings go after 18 months of riding at thetford forrest the local scott dealer in norwich (pedal revolution) tell me not a warranty claim and £200 later new bearings.
second issue more serious doing a wheelie down the curb the rear derailier snaps a rear part of the frame off, drop out did not do its job.
PEDAL REVOLUTION tell me again no not a warranty issue your gears must have been set up wrong sir and its £140 plus fitting?I would have thought this would have been a warranty issue for sure, whats the point of buying new if the dealer wont do any thing apart from take your money for new models.Has anybody else had problems with scott warranty or is it just me or should these not be covered, any ideas how i should persue this matter further. :(

There is a small ray of hope i purchased the bike from a welsh dealer damian harris and iam waiting for him too speak with scott. :?

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Wear & tear is not covered under any warranty unless stated in the warranty itself

so no the bearings would not be covered, nor would the mech hanger/mech if incorrectly set up
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    edited August 2010
    I have to agree with Andy, bearings are consumables and 18 months is not bad going.

The drop out is more tricky, but it can happen like they said. The other option is to get an independant person to look at it.
  • Your issue is with Pedal Revolution as the contract of sale is between you and them, not Scott.
  • my point is the rear mech was set up correct but the drop out did not break the end part of the frame has gone part of the rear triangle ive had it looked at by an independant shop and they agree it should be replaced under warranty
  • supersonic
    You need to argue this with the place you bought it from. Take some pictures too.
  • done already damian harris is waiting for scott to finish at some biking event but im getting a bad feeling
  • supersonic
    Ypou got any pictures you can show us here? Would be interested to have a look at the damage.
  • ive got the pics how do i post pics on this site
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read the site FAQs at the very top of the forum.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    £200 for a set of bearings is so beyond the realm of "reasonable" it's not even funny. How the hell could anyone justify charging that much?
  • DSCF0471.jpghave a look at this
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of the ends of the break.

another reason why replaceable drop out are good.
    drop out did not do its job.

no replacable drop out there or any part designed to fail.

break-away bolt would have been an idea.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Holy cow, that's just bad design. Nick's right, there's nothing there designed to fail. Most ally frames have a failsafe - a sacrificial mount for the rear mech that will break before anything else.

Another option, like he says, is a breakaway bolt.

On that note, Nick, have you had that conversation with idiots who complain that their breakaway bolt keeps breaking, so they replace it with something solid? :roll: :lol:
  • supersonic
    I can't beleive in this day and age an alloy frame does not have a replaceable hanger.

There does seem to be another bit of alloy missing, where the wheel clamps.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Frame RIP. Looks like it was designed by someone fired from Apollo.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Well, the frame in whole is not RIP. Worst case is you have to replace the driveside "seatstay"
  • cooldad
    Well, the frame in whole is not RIP. Worst case is you have to replace the driveside "seatstay"

True, but being made of cheese, I would be wary in future.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Cheese has it's advantages though.
    For example, you could nibble on your bike as a mid ride snack.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Pic of rear end in one piece here: http://www.perthmtb.asn.au/files/img_2.jpg

In the OP's pic it looks like the broken part of the drop out isn't being held in it's original orientation.

Bad design for a frame like that to have no replaceable drop out.

Would deffo send pics to retailer, that might well be a warranty job
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • supersonic
    Thats the horst version, so a little different back there.
  • I think it is just poor design with no failsafe built in. I can't see that it is anything but a warranty job. The frame failed!
    We all pay big hugely inflated prices for our much loved mountain bike kit and when push comes to shove they squeal and claim no responsibility. What is the point of a 5 year frame warranty if they will not honour it!
    I'm having similar problems with a Bontrager Rhythym rear wheel. Spoke eyes splitting and upon removal of the rim tape the whole rim is split all the way around. I am still in discussions with Trek & LBS. I am hoping for a favourable outcome but time will tell.

I am pretty pi**ed at the manufacturers and dealers, as previously mentioned they take huge amounts of our hard earned cash for the kit we ride and on occasion provide little or no back up.
    Sold down the river! Only it was a bloody expensive ticket.
    TT :evil:
  • Anonymous
    (cough cough) never had a problem with Marin,
  • £140 plus fitting for the part Pedal revolution have told me But like you say why is it made like this
  • cooldad
    You need to deal with the dealer you bought it off. The bunch you are dealing with now have no interest - they didn't make anything off the sale.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    DSCF0471.jpghave a look at this

Is it just me or is the rear mech set up incorrectly?
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Still, at £140 the rear triangle seems extremely good value compared to the bearings.... Always look on the bright side!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • That should most definitely be covered by warrantys. like stated before warrantys don't cover wear and tear, or items that go bad based on used, and are expected to happen. Things like bearings and such won't be covered, but a frame failure damn sure should be covered. Even if it was caused by a improperly set up rear derailleur, the frame should not be snapping like that.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    Scotts warranty says
    Normal wear, accident, neglect, abuse, improper
    assembly, improper maintenance by other than an
    authorized dealer or use of parts or devices not consistent
    with the use originally intended for the bicycle as
    sold are not covered by this warranty

So the incorrectly installed mech invalidates the warranty, sorry
  • DTW
    DTW Posts: 82
    Sorry but I disagree.

If it was me I would unbolt that rear mech and bring the lot down to the bike shop and refuse to move until the issue was dealt with. The bottom line is we all know that this is a very poor design and imo Scott have opened themselves up to failure of the rear mech hanger by having 60mm of an aluminium wedge in a highly stressed zone with no anti shear mechanism in place.

Rear mech installed incorrectly? Who cares. That rear mech could have been installed correctly and could have got caught on a log snapping the frame in exactly the same manner.

And if you want my advice say that's what bloody happened.
    If it aint broke, dont fix it. Wait, there's 1 exception...unless it can be pimped up in anyway.