Money well spent

2»

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    the guy can spend his evenings burning £50 notes for all i care.
    but spending £5k on a bike and not even riding it IS a waste even if he can afford it
    and thats my point. :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    biff55 wrote:
    the guy can spend his evenings burning £50 notes for all i care.
    but spending £5k on a bike and not even riding it IS a waste even if he can afford it
    and thats my point. :wink:

Sounds like a contradiction to me. But hey, my point was just that £5k to him might not be what £5k is to me (I wouldn't spend that on a car!). So yes, £5k sounds like an insane amount of money to spend on something and not use it, but it's no worse than a "poor person" spending £200 on something and not using it. Equally a "waste", but if that's what they want to do with their hard earned cash, and no-one is hurt as a result, why would anyone else care.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    you got something against the poor ?
    if so , tell em yourself , i'm loaded.
    :wink:
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    There is a lot of animosity on bike forums against people who buy top level kit, simply because they can afford it.

I'm not rich but I looked at the non S Works £3k version of the Stumpy and had my card ready to swipe. My wife suggested I think about it for 24 hours. I did and bought both of my bikes for what I would spent on the Stumpy. Do I have any regrets, sometimes, yes but then I probably would have been too protective of the Stumpy and would have missed out on the riding I do now.

The Stumpy S Works is impossible to upgrade. Its an amazing thing to own. If I hadn't bought my two bikes I have now I would put a bid in for £4k for something as special and limited in numbers as that.

I have friends who move through top end toys (anything from cars to bikes to boats) quite quickly. If they could they would rent them but you can't so they buy and try and sell whilst the toy is still in excellent condition. I have no doubt this is a genuine sale from someone who likes his nice toys. He just didn't have enough time for this one as well as his others.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    He only has the large house and X5 because he sells stolen bikes.
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    Briggo wrote:
    He only has the large house and X5 because he sells stolen bikes.

lmao
  • for sure. we are talking about 5 thousands, not hundreds.
  • You guys need to lighten up a bit about how someone ELSE spends their money. It's the same as you buying something, and maybe not having the time to ride it much, or it doesn't suit what you wanted it for, and then selling it. The price doesn't matter, it's the same principle as a 10pound mobile or a 5k bike.

Why is it so important for you to b**ch about someone spending the money on nice things. Don't say it's not jealousy because that is all it is. Some people show at Aldi or Lidl because it suits their budget, and some shop at waitrose because they can afford to it and prefer the higher quality. Same with bikes, cars and anything else in life.
    I'd much rather see the bike being ridden by someone else, but actually ridden, rather than sitting in the guys garage collecting dust because he doesn't have time to ride it or something.

Grow up people.
  • Why does anyone care if he has a nice bike and doesn't ride it? He's worked for his money, he's spent it on something he wants to own and no he's done with it. If you think it's such a waste buy it off him and go ride it yourself...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If I had shit loads of money I am damn sure I would buy a lot of stuff just because I could!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    If I had shoot loads of money I am damn sure I would buy a lot of stuff just because I could!
    Hell yes. Why have tons of money and not spend it?
  • Shaggy_Dog
    Shaggy_Dog Posts: 688
    You wouldn't believe the number of people who come in to my shop to buy a top of the range all mountain bike for riding down the towpath. At least the epic has an automatic lockout so isn't a complete dog on tarmac.

On the other hand we now seem to have a lot of punters who want a carbon road bike to go touring on. Whoever said working in a bike shop is living the dream has never lived the dream and realised it's actually a nightmare
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • andyrm wrote:
    Lets not get carried away.
    Look at the big fancy gates and the tasty X5 in the drive.
    If I could afford to blow £5500 on a runabout, I damn well would.

Absolutely - on our club rides we've seen a guy on a carbon FSR several times - a proper pillar of respectability in Rohan walking trousers, a shirt and trainers. Easy to make the assumption that because he's not in Fox or Royal gear and isn't taking big air that it must be dodgy. Clearly just a very wealthy fella who likes nice things. Much as he wouldn't expect to drive like Hakkinen just because he bought an EvoVIII, why should he have to ride like Peaty to enjoy a nice expensive bike?

trousers shirt and trainers that drives an evo?..wow not heard of that combo before.