Money well spent

BigJimmyB
BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I'm all for having what you can afford etc, but...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Specialized-S-Wor ... K_Bikes_GL

"I intended to ride on cycle paths"

Too much bike perhaps?
«1

Comments

  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Screams stolen to me.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    chedabob wrote:
    Screams stolen to me.

    Why?

    Hes got 100% feedback- been a ebay member since 2003 and his listing looks "right".
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    chedabob wrote:
    Screams stolen to me.

    eh?
    how many thieves do you know that return for the owners manual and delivery box ?

    anyways , aside from that , the phases "overbiked" and "all the gear no idea" hardly cover this dickwad that spends 5 large on a bike and never bothers to ride it.
    truely shocking , thats wot i say.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Looks like someone tried to buy some Mojo and it didn't work out, sad for him.

    I don't fancy it's stolen though, as above box, books OK it could have been stolen new from the back of a Van but someone would have being keeping and eye out for in on eBay.
  • Can't say I know many thieves who happily invite you to their home to pick up your stolen goods.

    Having said that, I can't say I know many thieves full stop.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    biff55 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    Screams stolen to me.

    eh?
    how many thieves do you know that return for the owners manual and delivery box ?

    It'd come with a box and manuals if it was nicked from a shop. Considering those are mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to mention that he had a receipt as well, which you'd need for the warranty.

    The story just sounds incredibly far-fetched. I could be way off the mark, but the idea that someone would spend £5500 on a bike for riding on bike paths just doesn't add up to me.
  • I intended to ride on cycle paths

    :?:
    :shock:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    4,500? Is that all? C'mon guys, that's pocket change.
  • Lets not get carried away.
    Look at the big fancy gates and the tasty X5 in the drive.
    If I could afford to blow £5500 on a runabout, I damn well would.
  • chedabob wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    Screams stolen to me.

    eh?
    how many thieves do you know that return for the owners manual and delivery box ?

    The story just sounds incredibly far-fetched. I could be way off the mark, but the idea that someone would spend £5500 on a bike for riding on bike paths just doesn't add up to me.

    Many people believe the more you spend, the more you get. And in many way's that's true. Overkill? Maybe. But there's plenty of people out there that will only buy the best, regardless of the use. I doubt it's uncommon.
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    So if that was the bike ke wanted for riding on bike paths what did he want the other one for??

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cannondale-Rush-T ... 880wt_1137

    Which was another £5k bike.....

    The mind boggles!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Perhaps the guy genunienly has more money than sense and has just had enough of riding a FS or two :D
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    mobilekat wrote:
    So if that was the bike ke wanted for riding on bike paths what did he want the other one for??

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cannondale-Rush-T ... 880wt_1137

    Which was another £5k bike.....

    The mind boggles!

    another ??!!
    now its suspicious :lol:
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    chedabob wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    chedabob wrote:
    Screams stolen to me.

    eh?
    how many thieves do you know that return for the owners manual and delivery box ?

    The story just sounds incredibly far-fetched. I could be way off the mark, but the idea that someone would spend £5500 on a bike for riding on bike paths just doesn't add up to me.

    Many people believe the more you spend, the more you get. And in many way's that's true. Overkill? Maybe. But there's plenty of people out there that will only buy the best, regardless of the use. I doubt it's uncommon.

    True, but if he was in Evans, he could have spent just £1000 more and got a Trek Remedy :P
  • cash only too!
  • If any if you want to buy it ask for the frame number and check it! I would for that kind of money! If the frame number is refused then maybe it is dodgy but it's a bit unfair to brand it stolen until then!
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    Sounds like he is spinning a yarn to get a better price.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=83813&page=5
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    cash only too!

    To be fair though, i wouldn't want to pay paypal fees on top of ebay fees for a 4.5 K item either :lol:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Lets not get carried away.
    Look at the big fancy gates and the tasty X5 in the drive.
    If I could afford to blow £5500 on a runabout, I damn well would.

    Absolutely - on our club rides we've seen a guy on a carbon FSR several times - a proper pillar of respectability in Rohan walking trousers, a shirt and trainers. Easy to make the assumption that because he's not in Fox or Royal gear and isn't taking big air that it must be dodgy. Clearly just a very wealthy fella who likes nice things. Much as he wouldn't expect to drive like Hakkinen just because he bought an EvoVIII, why should he have to ride like Peaty to enjoy a nice expensive bike?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    andyrm wrote:
    Clearly just a very wealthy fella who likes nice things. Much as he wouldn't expect to drive like Hakkinen just because he bought an EvoVIII, why should he have to ride like Peaty to enjoy a nice expensive bike?

    +1. I can't believe the inverse snobbery here.

    It's people like him who fund the 'trickle down' of top end tech that allows the rest of us to have nice things for less.

    Jealous much? :roll:
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    its one thing to buy nice items if your minted , no prob with that.
    but to sell on a £5Kbike without even riding it ...... c'mon.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 741
    Perhaps he is buying them cheap and selling them on for a profit? My mate does that with cars all the time.

    Also perhaps he is trying too give the impression that the bike is hardly ridden? I mean I hear that with Carbon gear that once it has been in a big smash its next to useless as it becomes fragile. Well if that is true then perhaps he is just making some attempt to reassure potential buyers that this is a good solid bike and that they are getting a really good buy...
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    biff55 wrote:
    its one thing to buy nice items if your minted , no prob with that.
    but to sell on a £5Kbike without even riding it ...... c'mon.

    What? So he wants to sell it. So? You think he should ride it? Probably taking a lot off the amount he'll get for it?

    Would you think the same if it was a £200 bike?
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    Looks genuine to me. In that thread from MTBR forum he posted the pics of the Cannondale in 2007, in front of the gates that are visible in the background of his latest ebay pics.

    The guy clearly has plenty of disposable income, and likes spending it on bikes. No problem with that.

    I know a guy who bought a GSX-R1000 K8, spent over three grand on bits for it, giving a total outlay of around £11,000. He rode it a grand total of 40 miles, kept it in his kitchen for 18 months then sold it for £5000.

    Some bargains are genuine! 8)
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bails87 wrote:
    biff55 wrote:
    its one thing to buy nice items if your minted , no prob with that.
    but to sell on a £5Kbike without even riding it ...... c'mon.

    What? So he wants to sell it. So? You think he should ride it? Probably taking a lot off the amount he'll get for it?

    Would you think the same if it was a £200 bike?

    IF he bought it new , he's gonna lose money whether he rides it or not.
    but its not a £200 bike is it ?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    biff55 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    Would you think the same if it was a £200 bike?

    IF he bought it new , he's gonna lose money whether he rides it or not.
    but its not a £200 bike is it ?

    But if he doesn't want it, why should he keep it?

    If I was a millionaire and wanted to take up photography,, I'd prbably spend a small fortune on a top notch camera. Then if I decided I didn't like it, or I spotted a more suitable camera, I'd sell the one I'd bought and buy that instead.

    As for not being a £200 bike. Someone earning £30k buying a £200 bike is spending the same proportion of their income as someone who earns £750k buying a £5000 bike.

    What £200 means to you isn't necessarily the same as what it means to this guy. (Guessing here, from the references to gated houses and X5s).
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    bails87 wrote:
    If I was a millionaire and wanted to take up photography,, I'd prbably spend a small fortune on a top notch camera. Then if I decided I didn't like it, or I spotted a more suitable camera, I'd sell the one I'd bought and buy that instead.

    then you'd be a complete c0ck with more money than sense.
    :wink:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    biff55 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    If I was a millionaire and wanted to take up photography,, I'd prbably spend a small fortune on a top notch camera. Then if I decided I didn't like it, or I spotted a more suitable camera, I'd sell the one I'd bought and buy that instead.

    then you'd be a complete c0ck with more money than sense.
    :wink:

    No, I'd be someone with more money than you, and it just sounds like jealousy. If I was running around saying "ha, my bike's more expensive than yours so you're sh*t and I'm great", then fair enough, but that's a different discussion.

    I know it's light hearted, but it's the attitude underneath that I don't get. If I've got millions in the bank (I haven't, obviously!) then why should I buy the same kit that someone on minimum wage would buy? If you won £100 million on the lottery you wouldn't buy a bigger house/nicer car/nicer food/better bike?

    There are plenty of people riding £50 bikes from Asda. So are you a complete c0ck for riding a more expensive bike? What if you bought a Carrera Vulcan, didn't like it, so sold it. You'd be a complete c0ck in the eyes of the person on the mega cheap bike, wouldn't you?

    If it was someone with loads of money buying the Mona Lisa just to destroy it, then you'd have a point. But it's someone buying a mass produced bike, and then selling it. How does it affect anyone else in the slightest, apart from the guy who gets a brand new bike for £1k less than the retail price?
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    take a deep breath.
    now relax.
    and for the record , i'm not jealous of anyone wealthier than me , that would be just silly.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    biff55 wrote:
    take a deep breath.
    now relax.
    and for the record , i'm not jealous of anyone wealthier than me , that would be just silly.

    It would be silly. That's my point :D

    I'm perfectly relaxed, I'm not annoyed about what other people do with their money :wink:
    MTB/CX

    "As I said last time, it won't happen again."