weight

T.C.
T.C. Posts: 495
Yes same old story, thing is i cycle at least 6 hours a week , hardly drink ale, eat sensibly, i'm not fat, 6ft approx 13.8 stone,34 waist, can't lose weight at all. read all topics here before, should i accept my weight i'm 47, did /have cut out bread before but felt weak. Thinking of going to slimming world this week or see a dietician. ideally i would like to lose a stone !

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You are a prime candidate for speaking to Barry at www.optimumnutrition4sport.com

Give him a bell tomorrow, his nutrition plan has worked freakin' wonders!!
  • T.C.
    Cheers, i remember that link now thanks
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You sure you have body fat to lose? You could be that weight / height and be all muscle!

If so, you just need to work out how many calories you're burning per day, and consume slightly fewer. Or if you're happy with your diet, try to burn a few more calories.
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    T.C. wrote:
    Yes same old story, thing is i cycle at least 6 hours a week , hardly drink ale, eat sensibly, i'm not fat, 6ft approx 13.8 stone,34 waist, can't lose weight at all. read all topics here before, should i accept my weight i'm 47, did /have cut out bread before but felt weak. Thinking of going to slimming world this week or see a dietician. ideally i would like to lose a stone !

Hey you've just described me (cept I'm 13.3 stone and 50). Why do you want to lose a stone?
    I've improved going uphill with remaining the same weight for the last three years, just by getting the miles then doing the hills.
  • T.C.
    i'm 34 waist used to be 32, i doubt it's muscle i can pinch more than a inch !
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    T.C. wrote:
    i'm 34 waist used to be 32, i can pinch more than a inch !

+1

Was a 32 inch waist at 20, think my inch pinch is just skin! doubt it's much fat.
  • Don't really get the obsession some cyclist have with their weight. You sound absolutely fine to me! Just get on your bike and enjoy it. 6ft, 34 waist and 13.8 stone? What's wrong with that? I bet if you lose a stone you would look a tad skinny! And you 47! Most 47 years I see on a daily basis are clinicaly obsese! Be proud matey!
  • how about the other end of the spectrum? I feel under weight! Had a fantastic semi serious summer enjoying sportives and happy with my results setting quickest times etc. But I really notice its now in myself. I eat well, but struggle to put weight back on! Will slow things down naturally during the winter and thinking of introducing some basic weight-training to my upper bosy, core workouts etc. Its not really a simple case of eat more east less though is it ??
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • T.C.
    Stevie, the problem i have is that despite cycling, hardly drinking ale, eating i think sensibly i can't lose weight, you are right if i lost a stone or more i would probably look gaunt and loose power etc, really i just want to go down to 32 waist probably half a stone i don't think i'm asklng for a lot ;-)
  • malcom x
    malcom x Posts: 12
    six hours a week, is not a lot. or enough, try doing 15-20 hours and then see how much you weigh.. if you cant do that. tough luck, your gonna be the weight you are. and as you get older your weight will go up. i,me there now. no time, 51, over weight. just enjoy your bike, and enjoy your life.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    malcom x wrote:
    six hours a week, is not a lot. or enough, try doing 15-20 hours and then see how much you weigh.. if you cant do that. tough luck, your gonna be the weight you are. and as you get older your weight will go up. i,me there now. no time, 51, over weight. just enjoy your bike, and enjoy your life.

Incorrect.

I train 6-8hrs a week and with the right nutrition I have lost a lot of weight (fat, not muscle), feel fantastic and my results have improved markedly.
  • If you are eating sensibly and not ignoring any snacks you may be having, then just enjoy your riding. The more you enjoy, the more you'll ride and hey presto weight will probably come off. If it doesn't don't worry about it. There are many other things you could worry about instead. :wink:
  • Murr X
    Murr X Posts: 258
    NapoleonD wrote:
    malcom x wrote:

Incorrect.

I train 6-8hrs a week and with the right nutrition I have lost a lot of weight (fat, not muscle), feel fantastic and my results have improved markedly.
    Yep, 6-8 hours of quality training is often plenty for the working man. As you are finding out more is not always better.

Murr X