I'm now in love with every road bike this company makes!

13»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I like cubist bikes but the wheels make for a harsh ride.

You're a skinny-jean-wearing-shoredicth-graphic-design-mogul-hipster type. What's you're view on the post-modern approach of some carbon bikes compared the more contemporary examples and the re-emergence of classic steel frames.

Discuss.

(while clicking fingers in a trendy fashion while chillaxing)
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Out of interest, why does a curvy frame make some bikes 'post-modern'?

I would have thought all carbon frames are 'modern' and the craze for fixies etc as being 'post-modern'.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

You're a skinny-jean-wearing-shoredicth-graphic-design-mogul-hipster type.
    Yep, that's me alright. Despite never owning skinny jeans, ever intentionally going near shoreditch, not being a graphic designer, and having a perfectly symmetrical hairstyle (style being used in the very loosest sense of the word).
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's you're view on the post-modern approach of some carbon bikes compared the more contemporary examples and the re-emergence of classic steel frames.
    ^ This, is bollocks. Bikes are emphatically not art. Their form is dictated almost exclusively by function, leaving the designers a tiny bit of scope for mucking about with the aesthetics. Which in the case of contemporary road bikes, they generally do quite badly.

You might as well compare a Gillette Fusion with an old safety razor. Does anyone know what hipsters use to trim their little moustaches?
  • DonDaddyD
    _Brun_ wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

You're a skinny-jean-wearing-shoredicth-graphic-design-mogul-hipster type.
    Yep, that's me alright. Despite never owning skinny jeans, ever intentionally going near shoreditch, not being a graphic designer, and having a perfectly symmetrical hairstyle (style being used in the very loosest sense of the word).
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    What's you're view on the post-modern approach of some carbon bikes compared the more contemporary examples and the re-emergence of classic steel frames.
    ^ This, is bollocks. Bikes are emphatically not art. Their form is dictated almost exclusively by function, leaving the designers a tiny bit of scope for mucking about with the aesthetics. Which in the case of contemporary road bikes, they generally do quite badly.

You might as well compare a Gillette Fusion with an old safety razor. Does anyone know what hipsters use to trim their little moustaches?

Interesting (seriously)

Define art?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    _Brun_ wrote:

I <3 Brun. I'd also suggest to the moustachioed hipsters that this would make the ideal trimming implement. Making sure they take a run up.

1999-0506-b-scythe.JPG

DDD, by and large I'm not crazy about the bikes you list. I can appreciate them and admire them but they're not, on the whole, what I want my bikes to look like. I bet most of them are great fun to ride.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Define art?

Actually, can we not? Thanks!
  • biondino wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

I <3 Brun.

Yeah, the guy's on form today! :lol:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Your bog-standard, mass-produced bike? No not a great deal of art in those, but some of those frames on that Frameforum link I'd say have a bit of art to them. Or at the very least a hell of a lot of craft. Where you put the art/craft divide is a difficult one, but there's no denying that those fancy lugs are more than purely functional.

Looking at it from an architectural point of view, you could say that a straight-tubed steel frame was analogous to a modernist building*, while the more curvilinear carbon frames are closer to buildings like this

graz_art_museum_mar16.jpg

Graz Art Museum by Peter Cook (not Pete & Dud, the architect), which I think most architectural commentators and art historians would agree is a post-modern building.

* modernism is actually nearly 100 years old as an artistic/design movement/style, so it's not very modern to be a modernist. :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    Blondie, why?

I'm enjoying this expansive conversation.

Surely if we can look at something that has clearly been designed and our opinion of it is subjective, you can argue that it is art irrespective of whether it was created for a functional purpose.

Infact new thread.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    For something to be art, i think the creator of that thing should at least have intended it to be art.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    For something to be art, i think the creator of that thing should at least have intended it to be art.

Isn't that pretentious?

If you really wanted to pick that comment apart you'd then ask what is art? Is it a painting, a sculpture or something that looks pretty. To me there are some Bianchi's that are more pleasing to the eye than many of the paintings hanging in the Tate.

Are women therefore a work of art, designed by god?
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry wrote:

+1
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:

I would have thought all carbon frames are 'modern' and the craze for fixies etc as being 'post-modern'.

It's been a while since I studied post-modernism (Film and TV studies - BA).

I just said it because it sounded cool.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Isn't that pretentious?

If you really wanted to pick that comment apart you'd then ask what is art? Is it a painting, a sculpture or something that looks pretty. To me there are some Bianchi's that are more pleasing to the eye than many of the paintings hanging in the Tate.

It's not a complete definition, and you didn't ask for a definition of good art. Why should art be pleasing to the eye?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    I don't think you answered my response.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

It's been a while since I studied post-modernism (Film and TV studies - BA).

I just said it because it sounded cool.

:D Honesty is the best policy! :lol:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Ugh.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Isn't that pretentious?

What, art? Yeah usually in my experience :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • A Kuota is not art but it does have its artistic equivalent.......

Steven-Pearson-Wings-of-Love-103120.jpg
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Woah. Where can I get that put on a t-shirt?
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    Woah. Where can I get that put on a t-shirt?

A black one? You're not ready for that.

You need to regrow your beard and gain about 80% of your body weight first.
  • rjsterry
    You know that bit about art not having to necessarily be good art...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    A Kuota is not art but it does have its artistic equivalent.......

Steven-Pearson-Wings-of-Love-103120.jpg

What am I looking at here?
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    The swan is saying, "I'd stay where you are love. There's nothing worth getting up for."
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    Why does Brun want it on a T-shirt

Why is LiT telling him that he needs to loose wait.

What's the significance of the image to Kuota?

I'm lost...
    Food Chain number = 4

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Why does Brun want it on a T-shirt

Why is LiT telling him that he needs to loose wait.

What's the significance of the image to Kuota?

I'm lost...

She said he needed to gain weight.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    DDD got to agree with you about Kharma's but it seems some people have no respect for style. :cry:

Scroll down on the link below and you'll find my Kharma

http://www.acme-wheelers.co.uk/photo-ga ... rance-2010
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:

But on the other hand, just because the creator intended it to be art, doesn't mean it is.

Neither is something art just because the 'art world' decide it is.

The above comments can be considered against everything that Tracy Emin has ever produced for proof I speak the truth :lol:

Seriously, there is a lot of confusion between true art and 'something that looks nice on the wall'. Craft and art are two different things
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I found this, and I declare it art!

marcel-duchamp-fountain.jpg