I'm now in love with every road bike this company makes!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• We all know which is your real favourite, though:

kharma-glamour-2011.jpg

Wonder if you can get Athena with it?
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    i soo almost got that one but my club mates threatened to disown me. Got the red one instead.

Should've got the pink though :(
  • DonDaddyD
    It is also available in a women’s colorway, which sports a white frame with pink graphics.

So yeah that must be the Athena specifc model.

I couldn't get the 2010 Korsa as it had the word 'lite' on the frame, as in Korsa lite in italics and 'lite' seemed quite effeminate to me.

Now I want a Titanium bike... I want too many things....

The Kebel and new Kharma paintwork does look lovely.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    mkirby wrote:
    i soo almost got that one but my club mates threatened to disown me. Got the red one instead.

Should've got the pink though :(

The only way a man can ride a pink bike is if he is rapid like sprints up Cat1's rapid.

That way when people can't catch you, they've been beaten by a man on a pink bike "The shame!"

If you're me, fat and slow, on a pink that's just shameful.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    What's this obsession with pink being a "girl's colour"? It hasn't always been this way.

Anyway, real men are happy to wear pink or have pink possessions. O_o

/me puts on his Telekom T-shirt :D
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    that pink bike is awesome. i would happily ride a pink bike.

im considering the KOM
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    I know I went all through this before, and DDD's colour/name hang-ups aside, is that not even the teeniest bit patronising? Women-specific geometry - obviously a good idea, but painting it pink? Are there any women out there looking to buy a serious road bike, but holding off because the colour is just too blokey? Wanda? LiT? Am I missing something?

BTW, DDD, I could just about live with the KOM, but the others don't really do it for me - not a big fan of bendy or funny-shaped tubes.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    I fully admit that I do find 'pink for girls' as patronising as the silly booby assos top.

I could never ride a pink bike, not because its pink (I have pink shirts, which are amongst my favourites) but because if you ride one its like a massive target and I'm not that fast.

I like both funny shaped tubes, especially when there is an aero purpose to them - makes em look fast and traditional tubes.
    Food Chain number = 4

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    There is so much material in these frames! I'm more and more drawn to the thinnest of tubes (hence my admiration for steel) and these seem more like, I dunno, robots or sculptures than bikes. And I hear they're really heavy.
  • DonDaddyD
    biondino wrote:
    There is so much material in these frames! I'm more and more drawn to the thinnest of tubes (hence my admiration for steel) and these seem more like, I dunno, robots or sculptures than bikes. And I hear they're really heavy.

I doubt anyone could claim that the KOM is heavy.

The Korsa is alu.

My understanding was that carbon, Ti and alu tubes needed to be bigger than steel to be as strong/stronger but overall lighter.
    Food Chain number = 4

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    biondino wrote:
    the current KOM has a claimed weight of 900g
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Kan't be doing with kompanies that kan't spell :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    What's in a name eh?

Karen Kuota Kharma

Always thought that was somewhat ironic
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about the man who can only say B instead of C (Bolour Supplement and so on), until it is suggested that he use a K instead of a C.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I find them a bit "meh", but each to their own.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • biondino
    spasypaddy wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Sorry everyone, that was a semi-private joke about DDD's bike being really heavy (which it isn't. Not *really* heavy) rather than a serious comment.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    biondino wrote:

Sorry everyone, that was a semi-private joke about DDD's bike being really heavy (which it isn't. Not *really* heavy) rather than a serious comment.

Yeah, they can klaim what they like, don't make it true...
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Stuey01 wrote:
    I find them a bit "meh", but each to their own.

To be fair, on reflection, the KOM is quite nice :wink:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    rjsterry wrote:
    Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch about the man who can only say B instead of C (Bolour Supplement and so on), until it is suggested that he use a K instead of a C.

Going off on a tangent...

The two major gangs in LA are the Crips and the Bloods. Apparently the Bloods refuse to use the letter C, and instead change it to a B. Hence "going to Bompton for a bup of boffee."

True story! Talk about life imitating art...
    Rules are for fools.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'm not a big fan of Kuota, they look overbuilt to me, and they always seem quite heavy for a carbon frame. Mind you I'm also a fan of the Ford Mondeo of the bike world, the good old Trek Madone so what do I know
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I kwite like that Kharma but the Kolourway is a bit Krap

actually I quite like the KoM too, but with less ott wheels
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • DonDaddyD
    What is with all the haters, yo!?

I can see the point about being overbuilt, but for me it stops them looking like every single other frame on the Market (paint job notwithstanding).

Also it's the future init, not the 90s, they look postmodern (Blondie that one is for you!). Think Honda Civic (current shape) compared to a Golf, which is still quite contemporary.

They are not heavy bikes, the Kredo/Kult and Kharma weigh about the same (100g more than an Izoard). But they're designed for the larger rider (like me) and still offer an amazing and reassuring ride because the bikes are stiff and have good torsion strength.
    Food Chain number = 4

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I'm looking forward to the Kuota Karahi. I'll take one in framesize: med/hot.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the Kuota Karahi. I'll take one in framesize: med/hot.

I dunno, I'm looking forward to the Kuota Kalamari

kalamarism.jpg

and this guy can't wat for the Kuota Kalahari

compare-meerkat1216.jpg

*gets coat*
  • rjsterry
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of Kuota, they look overbuilt to me, and they always seem quite heavy for a carbon frame. Mind you I'm also a fan of the Ford Mondeo of the bike world, the good old Trek Madone so what do I know

Madone is almost an anagram of Mondeo.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I can see the point about being overbuilt, but for me it stops them looking like every single other frame on the Market (paint job notwithstanding).

Also it's the future init, not the 90s, they look postmodern (Blondie that one is for you!). Think Honda Civic (current shape) compared to a Golf, which is still quite contemporary.

They are not heavy bikes, the Kredo/Kult and Kharma weigh about the same (100g more than an Izoard). But they're designed for the larger rider (like me) and still offer an amazing and reassuring ride because the bikes are stiff and have good torsion strength.

The Honda Civic of the bike world? As good as that?! :roll:

I quite like the look of them, but they seem a bit heavy and I wonder whether that is down to the swoopy curvy bits, rather than any inherent additional strength / stiffness. Interesting that the top of the range Pro level frame is the only one that has pretty standard tube profiles - maybe there's a reason why all these modern bikes look so similar....
  • biondino
    MatHammond wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I quite like the look of them, but they seem a bit heavy and I wonder whether that is down to the swoopy curvy bits, rather than any inherent additional strength / stiffness. Interesting that the top of the range Pro level frame is the only one that has pretty standard tube profiles - maybe there's a reason why all these modern bikes look so similar....

+1. The Kom is easily the prettiest IMO. But I have no problem with them targetting the DDDs of this world who are taken by their unique branding and look. Variety's good!

Edit - actually, you know what you were saying about the future, DDD? Well, I reckon there are two distinctly different views of the future. One which looks far ahead in time - say 50 years, and think about the 1950s version of what the 21st century would look like - all curves and bubbles and beautiful lines which didn't really pan out. This can be beautiful and, byt the time "the future" comes around, is imbued with retro chic.

I think the Kharma is more like imagining the future in 10 or 15 years. Things will be more accurate, without a doubt, but when we get to "the future" the recent memory of the past which created this vision of the future will seems clunky and embarrassing. That's more how I see the Kuota future-look.
  • DonDaddyD
    MatHammond wrote:

To clear a few things up:

The KOM and the Kebel (which share/d the same geometry same bike at different levels) are not heavy.

The Kharma and Kult/Kredo (which share/d the same geometry same bike at different levels) are not heavy but are not the lightest in their field.

The Kult and Kredo have been used by professional teams along with the KOM.

When I mentioned Honda Civic (2006 onwards) I meant styling. It cannot be argued that the Honda Civic looks futuristic compared to other cars, that do not possess such dramatic styling compared to cars of the past.

If you're going to say that swoopy lines and non-circle tube shapes are unflattering, where do you stand on Pinarello's, Felt AR range and Cervelo?
    Edit - actually, you know what you were saying about the future, DDD? Well, I reckon there are two distinctly different views of the future. One which looks far ahead in time - say 50 years, and think about the 1950s version of what the 21st century would look like - all curves and bubbles and beautiful lines which didn't really pan out. This can be beautiful and, byt the time "the future" comes around, is imbued with retro chic.

I think the Kharma is more like imagining the future in 10 or 15 years. Things will be more accurate, without a doubt, but when we get to "the future" the recent memory of the past which created this vision of the future will seems clunky and embarrassing. That's more how I see the Kuota future-look.

I think we have to consider that taste is often driven by social-consistency and trends. I was watching a car programme that basically said that the car could look and have completely different styling but change, dramatic change, within a consumer led market usually has negative reactions from the consumer. Consumers have been conditioned to like what they like and will always want something they are familiar with. Most of us are either conciously or sub-conciously influenced by what our parents, Grandparents used. So even if the dramatic ideology of the 1950s World of Tomorrow, could have been a reality (and it kinda is) the styling would most certainly not because the majority wouldn't accept the change (partly why fashion goes around in cycles and we've seen the re-emergence of 60's, 70s and 80s fashion).

Lotus (bikes) and others have proved that bikes don't have to look the way they do, that Time Trial bike was a step towards a future and the dramatic styling and techological advancement/aids were ridiculed and promptly banned, hence why we sill have bikes that look very similar to the ones ridden 20yrs ago.

I like Kuota because the bikes don't look like carbon fibre trying to emulate the styling of a steel frame. But then I was never influenced by steel during its golden era.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

To clear a few things up:

The KOM and the Kebel (which share/d the same geometry same bike at different levels) are not heavy.

The Kharma and Kult/Kredo (which share/d the same geometry same bike at different levels) are not heavy but are not the lightest in their field.

The Kult and Kredo have been used by professional teams along with the KOM.

When I mentioned Honda Civic (2006 onwards) I meant styling. It cannot be argued that the Honda Civic looks futuristic compared to other cars, that do not possess such dramatic styling compared to cars of the past.

If you're going to say that swoopy lines and non-circle tube shapes are unflattering, where do you stand on Pinarello's, Felt AR range and Cervelo?

I think we have to consider that taste is often driven by social-consistency and trends. I was watching a car programme that basically said that the car could look and have completely different styling but change, dramatic change, within a consumer led market usually has negative reactions from the consumer. Consumers have been conditioned to like what they like and will always want something they are familiar with. Most of us are either conciously or sub-conciously influenced by what our parents, Grandparents used. So even if the dramatic ideology of the 1950s World of Tomorrow, could have been a reality (and it kinda is) the styling would most certainly not because the majority wouldn't accept the change (partly why fashion goes around in cycles and we've seen the re-emergence of 60's, 70s and 80s fashion).

Lotus (bikes) and others have proved that bikes don't have to look the way they do, that Time Trial bike was a step towards a future and the dramatic styling and techological advancement/aids were ridiculed and promptly banned, hence why we sill have bikes that look very similar to the ones ridden 20yrs ago.

I like Kuota because the bikes don't look like carbon fibre trying to emulate the styling of a steel frame. But then I was never influenced by steel during its golden era.

See also, the weird contradiction between most new suburban housing being clad in pseudo-Victorian gob-ons (coach lamp anyone? Barge boards? The travesty that is the uPVC 'sash' window?), and filled with the latest modern kitchens and AV equipment. The mass-housebuilders claim that that is what their customers want, but they rarely provide anything else, so how would they know? [/soapbox]

I think there's something similar going on with bikes at the moment; it's a matter of time before we see a retro steel frame with Di2 (BTW, steel doesn't have to be retro).
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Just to clear that up....

I think the UCI has a HUGE say on how bikes look as well, pretty much limits designers to standard frame designs with a few bells and whistles to either a) look all flash and modern, or b) provide genuine performance advantages. My point was that the fact that the top of the range Kuota is the most traditional looking frame probably tells you that its more a) than b), although there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.