Cannock v Sherwood Pines

LeighM
LeighM Posts: 156
edited August 2010 in MTB general
I live approx 45mins from either but have so far only ridden at Cannock. Is it worth a visit to SP or should I stick to Cannock?

I know the SP area and don't recall it being very hilly so I'm wondering if there are any decent downs on offer.

With the addition of the monkey, Cannock seems to offer everything I'm after.
2014 Trek Madone 4.7 | 2009 Trek Fuel EX7 | Planet X Pro Carbon Track Elite
TrainerRoad
Strava

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I would stick to the Monkey, FtD if i were you.

Sherwood is very tame with only one tiny climb and is almost completly flat, great for beginners to the sport but nothing to offer someone who can ride the Monkey trail with no issues.

In my experience, sherwood is very srone to section closures due to mud traps forming and more than once we encountered walkers strolling up the trails.

The Downhill/skills park might be worth a look, but they are all too short IMO. You get about a minute of down and then push/ride the bike back up :?
  • Doombrain
    Doombrain Posts: 360
    get yourself to llandegla
    LOL road riding.
  • LeighM
    Doombrain wrote:
    get yourself to llandegla

It's on the list, but it's hard not to go to Cannock as it's so close.
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • Kiblams
    Llandegla is a nice change, but I would not put it above the Monkey Trail on my list of 'Best Trails'
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    unless you like a flat out pedal fest of an xc course i wouldnt bother with sherwood, alright in summer, but as soon as the rain comes it turns to sh!t and is no fun at all, cannock is a far better place and even better now the monkey is open deffinitly one of the ten best in the uk
  • LeighM
    Thanks guys, I'll give SP a miss then, unless it's an afternoon bimble with the family.
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Good to see you've made the good decision :) I live close enough to ride to Sherwood Pines and, other than riding there to play on jumps and stuff, I'd rather drive the hour to do the Monkey trail.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    get your self off to the peak district,it about an extra 15 mins journey time, well worth it if your in derby
  • LeighM
    bamba wrote:
    get your self off to the peak district,it about an extra 15 mins journey time, well worth it if your in derby

I'm 30mins from Ashbourne and 45mins from Matlock so the peaks are on my list too, need to up my skills at the trail centres first and get "peaks fit" first though :)
    TrainerRoad
    Strava
  • GET OUT TO THE PEAKS!!

Trail centre are fun but the Peaks is mad close, get out there and ride!!

Don't worry about peaks fitness you'll get it soon enough riding out there.

Plus your skills will develop alot more! as you will have to challenge yourself.

I'm in Notts so if you wanna arrange a peaks ride some time just give me a shout

FYI i'm not peaks fit at all haha more beer fit!
    :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To be honest there both flat as pancakes :p

and Landeglla has only got two good black sections and the rest is poor, for those who mentioned it. Time to invest in some camping kit mate and do some traveling :p
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I agree with the others Cannock everytime, FtD plus MT plus the DH trails pee all over anything Sherwood has to offer.

Llandegla is pretty tame and not really worth a special trip IMO.

Don't forget you can always link up some natural stuff with the trail centres if you want to extend any of them, just stock up on OS maps.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Thewaylander
    I would say that Llandegella buries FTD mind which in my mind is one of the most boring trails i have ever ridden anywhere.
  • Kiblams
    I would say that Llandegella buries FTD mind which in my mind is one of the most boring trails i have ever ridden anywhere.

Blimey, when was the last time you went to Cannock Chase? You do know they openned new sections and a new trail in April right? Before then I would have agreed with you that Llandegla wipes the floor with FtD; but not anymore.
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Kiblams wrote:

Blimey, when was the last time you went to Cannock Chase? You do know they openned new sections and a new trail in April right? Before then I would have agreed with you that Llandegla wipes the floor with FtD; but not anymore.

Quoted and made green for truth.

Also, the peaks have much fun to be had in, but that wasn't in the choice!
  • Thewaylander
    FTD sucks.

I don't comment on the other trail having never ridden it. But the whole area is flat as a pancake. So coming from the south of wales the lack of climbing and desending is of extreme disapointment.

Now i just wouldn't travel to the midlands for a trail simply there isnt the terrain to compete.
  • Thewaylander
    it's sadly true though, your area is a wierd nasty cly soil with small hills.

there just isnt the terrain to make an amazing trail, FTD for me tried to make to much of any tiny slope making it feel cramped and for 'ME' dull to ride. Llandeglla has the brilliant 2 Black sections which are marvelous fun, the fact the rest is crap doesn't worry as much as you can session them pretty well.
  • Now you are just trolling. :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, but someone 45 minutes from Sherwood Pines could well be over 2 hours from Wales.

If I lived in the Alps I'd say South Wales was crap and I'd never travel to ride because it just hasn't got the terrain to compete :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    you been to the alps?

They are very different, the French really haven't got XC with climbs sorted its alot of firetrack and so on, but awsome for the descending. So you may but you may not bails :P
  • Thewaylander
    Now you are just trolling. :lol:

Not really, someone mentioned some of it being better than Llandeglla, and though not a fan of the trail I can not agree with it.

I don't comment on the new trail as i haven't had chance to ride it but i'm unlikely too aswell because if i'd travel for biking its not gonna be the midlands which is fairly reasonable.
  • You actually said "FTD Sucks" which is just silly. :)
  • Thewaylander
    well yeh, but i thought it did suck :P but thats my opinion. i can go into the reason i thought it sucked, and my dislike of the trail design but that was personal preference.
  • Kiblams
    well yeh, but i thought it did suck :P but thats my opinion. i can go into the reason i thought it sucked, and my dislike of the trail design but that was personal preference.

You are welcome to have your own opinion, but I just wish you would tell us if you have been since they opened the Monkey Trail and the new ending to FtD. :lol: So we know if you are judging it by the old or new trails.
  • Thewaylander
    At some point this year. not sure when as it wasn't really memorable, and to be honest i was mashed lol on the journey that is.

If i visit family again in the area i will stop by and see if its changed.
  • bails87
    At some point this year. not sure when as it wasn't really memorable, and to be honest i was mashed lol on the journey that is.

If i visit family again in the area i will stop by and see if its changed.

Let me know if you're over this way. I'd be happy to meet you there for a ride, the new FTD ending is great fun, bermy flowy roller-y stuff :D

My point was about what riding is local to you. If you live near Welsh mountains or Fort William, then yeah, travelling to Cannock will seem strange. But if you live near Cannock, then it makes sense. 45 mins is a hell of a lot better than a 3 hour journey. Especially when you've got to drive back after a days riding.

Just like I wouldn't bother driving all the way to Thetford forest. But if someone was local to it, it would be perfectly reasonable for them to go there, rather than driving to Glentress or Coed y Brenin.
    MTB/CX

• Thewaylander
    Bails I don't disagre with you.

But as i said before some one made a comparison to Landeglla and i couldn't agree with that :)
  • I have driven 3 hours each way to Cannock twice in the last month. :oops:
  • bails87
    Bails I don't disagre with you.

But as i said before some one made a comparison to Landeglla and i couldn't agree with that :)

I'm going at the weekend, so I'll let you know :wink:

chronicbint: Fair play!
    MTB/CX