Common fibular nerve

FitzM
FitzM Posts: 232
Yesterday I completed only my second century my first was 4 weeks ago. This morning and the morning after the previous century I woke up with discomfort behind my right knee. I'm no physician so I've relied on Google to try to identify the cause of the discomfort and think it's my Common fibular nerve, but I could be wrong.

Has anyone suffered from anything similar, could it be my Common fibular nerve and have you any suggested remedies?
Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    More likely to be a tendon - the 'tape' part of muscles - where they fix onto the bones they move, or a ligament - the tough fibres that hold joints together. If its only on one side its likely to be a bike fit issue - perhaps you are tighter on one side than the other, or sitting slightly too high? Nerves dont usully hurt by themselves - unless they get trapped or inflamed by something else.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Diagnosis by Google is the most terrifying thing you can undertake. I usually conclude I have some form of terminal illness.

Rest it for a couple of days, maybe take ibuprofen to relieve the pain / reduce any inflammation. If it continues to hurt, go to the doctor.

Since it's happened twice, it sounds like there's something about your cycling that irritates something in your right knee after 100 miles. A proper bike fit might be a good investment.
  • FitzM
    More likely to be a tendon - the 'tape' part of muscles - where they fix onto the bones they move, or a ligament - the tough fibres that hold joints together. If its only on one side its likely to be a bike fit issue - perhaps you are tighter on one side than the other, or sitting slightly too high? Nerves dont usully hurt by themselves - unless they get trapped or inflamed by something else.

ut_och_cykla, thx for the suggestions, I reckon you're right I did suspect it more likely to be a tendon. Clearly I didn't spend enough time on Google :lol:
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • FitzM
    keef66 wrote:
    Diagnosis by Google is the most terrifying thing you can undertake. I usually conclude I have some form of terminal illness.

Rest it for a couple of days, maybe take ibuprofen to relieve the pain / reduce any inflammation. If it continues to hurt, go to the doctor.

Since it's happened twice, it sounds like there's something about your cycling that irritates something in your right knee after 100 miles. A proper bike fit might be a good investment.

keef66, I think that's a bloke thing, anytime I feel ill I think it's terminal :wink:

As for the bike fit I had one about 2 months back but am returning this week to have it tweaked.