Joplin seatpost, will it hold my bike?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited August 2010 in MTB general
Right, since I need a new seatpost, I'm toying with the idea of buying a Joplin. So far, it seems like a done deal, BUT, I just realised something...

I use a Saris Bones rack, and have to use a "false crossbar" to mount the bike onto the Saris. This false crossbar hooks around the stem, and the seatpost.
This means that the bike's weight is supported by the seatpost, and I'm not sure if this would be recommended with a Joplin.

Has anyone used a similar setup, and what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Can't really help with your question yeehaa, but could you use the old seatpost whilst the bike was in transit then swap to the joplin when you arrived?
    I know its a faff, but i don't think it deserves to be the limiting factor in you getting a droppy post. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, I have considered that. I'd need to steal or find a saddle for the old post as well, or swap it over each time.
    Swapping the saddle each time really would be a pain, I could see me just buying an Easton seatpost after a while if that was the case.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    edited August 2010
    Can you not raise the Joplin out of the seat tube so you're clamping onto the bit that fits into the bike and not the actual moving bit?
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Agreed, swapping would be a pain, but i'm sure something cheap'll appear in the classifieds or on ebay at somepoint though...
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Hmm, I have considered that. I'd need to steal or find a saddle for the old post as well, or swap it over each time.
    Swapping the saddle each time really would be a pain, I could see me just buying an Easton seatpost after a while if that was the case.

What size post do you need?
  • Anonymous
    chedabob wrote:
    Can you not raise the Joplin out of the seat tube so you're clamping onto the bit that fits into the bike and not the actual moving bit?
    Ah, it doesn't quite clamp like that you see.
    the clamp fits fairly loosely round the seatpost, and the weight is taken by the saddle rails, basically. If you see what I mean.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, I have considered that. I'd need to steal or find a saddle for the old post as well, or swap it over each time.

What size post do you need?
    30.9mm seatpost, and between 350-400mm length.
  • Anonymous
    i might have a saddle you can have yeehaa.
  • Anonymous
    You still coming up this week, Sheeps? (weather looks like it could be BAD!)
    See, I'm toying with the idea of just getting a cheapy seatpost for now, and having a proper gander at yours (oo-er) before shelling out that much.
  • thought I might have a cheapo seatpost for you but its too small :(
  • Anonymous
    You still coming up this week, Sheeps? (weather looks like it could be BAD!)
    See, I'm toying with the idea of just getting a cheapy seatpost for now, and having a proper gander at yours (oo-er) before shelling out that much.

yes mate, will pm in a minute. i have a saddle that i dont need you can have when i ahem, come up.
  • Anonymous
    Ah, cool.
    Still not sure what to order right now though.
    Bike is un-rideable as it is, the post is bent so far backwards it gives me really bad back pain after riding for more than 30 minutes or so, and is stuck way up in the air, in that most un dignified "XC efficiency" pose.
    The bend in it means I can;t lower it any more :lol:
  • Anonymous
    ive got a 30.9x350mm post you can have too until you make your choice, atleast your bike would be rideable in the meanwhile
  • Anonymous
    I could always just MTFU and go seat-less I suppose.
  • Would you be running the Joplin with the remote?

because if you were the swapping of the seat post each time would mean disconnecting the remote cable and then re- connecting when you want to ride. which to my mi nd would be a right ball ache.

I agree with to earlier post the you could clamp the false cross bar to the part of the joplin that fits into the frame( the bit that doesn't move) if it protudes from your frame enough.
  • Surely whatever locks the Joplin in place at a given height supports you when sitting on the saddle, so the same mechanism will support the bike when you attach your false top tube.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I guess the worry is that the rack will be pulling, as opposed to the 'pushing' force of sitting on the saddle.

I'd just find a mega cheap saddle and fit that on the old seatpost for transporting.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I bought a Joplin recently and the instructions it came with state that you should not "hang" your bike from the saddle.

Not sure how much weight bearing your situation would be but this is something to bear in mind
  • I've got several dead seats that you could have for your 'transit post', you just need to find me a free way of sending you one!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Why not get a reverb?

Yeah it's unproven technology, but it can support the weight of the bike even when not fully extended...
  • Anonymous
    alisdairh wrote:
    I bought a Joplin recently and the instructions it came with state that you should not "hang" your bike from the saddle.

Not sure how much weight bearing your situation would be but this is something to bear in mind
    Oh bollocks, NOW I find this out, just after I ordered it! :shock:
  • bails87
    alisdairh wrote:
    I bought a Joplin recently and the instructions it came with state that you should not "hang" your bike from the saddle.

Oh bollocks, NOW I find this out, just after I ordered it! :shock:

Just find a cheap saddle and use that for transporting, surely?
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    edited August 2010
    Surely whatever locks the Joplin in place at a given height supports you when sitting on the saddle, so the same mechanism will support the bike when you attach your false top tube.

erm...
    Ah, it doesn't quite clamp like that you see.
    the clamp fits fairly loosely round the seatpost, and the weight is taken by the saddle rails, basically. If you see what I mean.
    did that answer the question?
  • bails87
    yeehaamcgee
    no, not at all :?

I mean buy an old saddle, fit it to your current seatpost, fit that to the bike when it's on the rack.

Then when you arrive at your destination, remove the old seatpost/saddle combo and slot the Joplin + actual saddle in. Then go ride.

Assuming you don't drive off having lef it on the roof of the car of course :shock:

Edit: Unless I'm being dopey, I don't see why that wouldn't work. Admittedly you'd have to swap seatpost before and after putting the bike on the rack, but that's a 10 second job.
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    bails87 wrote:
    yeehaamcgee

I mean buy an old saddle, fit it to your current seatpost, fit that to the bike when it's on the rack.

Then when you arrive at your destination, remove the old seatpost/saddle combo and slot the Joplin + actual saddle in. Then go ride.

Assuming you don't drive off having lef it on the roof of the car of course :shock:
    LMFAO, i quoted the wrong person, sorry :oops:
    I'll edit it, hang on!
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    yeehaamcgee

LMFAO, i quoted the wrong person, sorry :oops:
    I'll edit it, hang on!

:lol:
    Don't worry, I was trying to figure out what I'd missed!
    MTB/CX

• Anonymous
    i got the quote button mixed up, I hit the one on yours because I thought it was relating to the one above it,
    DOH! :lol: I forgot the quote button is at the TOP of the post :oops:

Anwyay, yes, the old seatpost and saddle thing is what i think I will do.
    Or, since I always use a thick bungee cord to properly fasten the bike onto the rack, I'm sure i could wrap it in a way that would hold the bike up as well, reducing the load on the joplin.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I can't see it being a major issue as long as you've fully extended the seatpost. Your not supposed to lift the bike by the seat with the seatpost down (although I've done it a few times without any issues).

If you've gone for the remote version (which I hope you have) removing the post will be a right pain, if you've got the non-remote version the adjustment lever might foul the false cross bar.

Best option is to put the bones on Ebay, get a towbar and a proper rack :wink:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    Gone for the lever adjust one for now, with a view to buying the remote option later on maybe.
    I'm not certain yet if I'm going to be sticking an old seatpost on it to transport it, see, so I didn't go for the remote one yet, or I'd have to route the cable and mount the remote each time!
  • Anonymous
    Gone for the lever adjust one for now, with a view to buying the remote option later on maybe.
    I'm not certain yet if I'm going to be sticking an old seatpost on it to transport it, see, so I didn't go for the remote one yet, or I'd have to route the cable and mount the remote each time!

i'll mount your remote in a minute.

oh, hang on..............