Turbo or Gym

White Line
White Line Posts: 887
I broke my clavicle two weeks ago and when I went back to the hospital today I was told it would be another twelve weeks or so until I could ride my bike again. Twelve weeks. :shock:

So, basically I can't handle that. The past fourteen days have been hard enough.

Don't know how much the gym costs or how long you have to take out a membership for. I've been told it's ~£30 per month for a year, but she's probably wrong.

I've read that the magnetic turbos and air resistance ones are rather gash and that fluid ones are the way to go. But looking at the prices of some of the fluid ones ... I could buy another bike with what they're asking for.

Joining the gym seems good because I could fanny around on the 'bikes' there and do some leg presses and whatnot. Obviously staying away from squats at the moment with the busted clavicle. Keeping/building leg strength over the next few months sounds like a good idea to me. Weighing in at 140-145 lb at 6'0" is ideal for climbing, but the hills around here aren't Alpine style so ... y'know, not much point. I reckon I could gain a fair bit more strength without increasing weight that much that it'd matter.

However, I reckon that getting the turbo is a good idea because it allows me to sort of stay on the bike as it were. I reckon this would be better for doing interval training and that, but really don't want to be stuck infront of the TV watching Sufferfest or something for the the next few weeks. Plus, then comes winter; don't really want an alternative to going out and riding a bike for real.

tl;dr, I'm stuck between a turbo and joining the gym while I've been told to stay off the bike. Which would you do, and why?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Turbo...

Cycleops jet fluid pro is what I have after trying various others...

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... ainer_2010

I broke my leg quite badly last year. I was on the turbo 4 weeks later just turning the pedals. 6 weeks after that I did a 26 minute club 10...
  • +1 on the turbo. It'll keep you on the bike, will be right there and not require going to the gym in the cold and dark and also allow you to work on your technique.

Since getting mine I've realised mines a little wasteful.
  • I've just treated myself to one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31282 .

Chuffed to bits with it. Far more than the £170 I was originally intending to spend on a Cycleops Fluid 2, but with the rave reviews, a lifetime guarantee and 30% off it won me over.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Turbo - you'll still have it long after your shoulder is mended and after your gym membership has run out.

I ditched my gym membership last winter - something I never thought I'd be without - in favour of the turbo. Never looked back - don't miss the gym at all & haven't been since Feb. I just do sit ups & free weights at home. Find the turbo miles more fun than the bikes at the gym.
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    Same boat, fractured clavicle in 3 places. I'm recovering fairly fast following a calcium heavy diet and just seem to be suffering with muscular and nerve issues as I cme out of my sling after 10 days due to the pain and wanting to move my shoulder.

Am buying a turbo this weekend and then looking to be back on the bike week after next all being well. Is yours a complete break? Turbo will be better - your bike, your music/TV, your set up, pedals etc. And good for winter as well. Hope you get well soon - as a cycling/triathlete addict I feel your pain, it's been bad enough sitting still for 2 weeks let along 4. I tried some breastroke yesterday and it's dubious but slowly getting movement back. I've been told no weight/overhead until about week 4 onwards. So it's going to be bike - run - swim for me! Recommend calcium supps, icing 4 times a day followed by a muscle rub such a tiger balm/deep heat to get the blood back in. The NHS failed to tell me any of this but a lot of googling and a v good physical therapist has helped a lot. Are yo uin figure -8 sling or normal sling??

All the best of a speedy recovery.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have a turbo at home, for the winter mnoths and also full on intervals, when being in traffic could be dangerous!
    I also have to use a gym bike (usually no option) for two weeks in every four, as I work on a drilling platform... It is doable, but, you have to be dedicated to it!
    I've just arrived on a different rig and to my total amazement they have a road bike, on a turbo!... How excited was I to see that... Really enjoyed tonights session.

Get a turbo, I have a CycleOps Fluid II, it's all you'll ever need, and you'll use it so much more, once you're used to having one.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • White Line
    So, the general consensus is turbo then, eh?

Looking at the Jet Fluid Pro and seeing how quite it is sounds like a bonus to me. Especially after the way the parents acted after I bought Rock Band for my Xbox. They weren't too keen on the drums. :lol:

Nap, was this quick recovery before or after your super good diet kicked in? Think I might have to up the milk intake.

I suppose buying a turbo and possibly some weights later on for squatting it out could be cheaper and more convenient than the gym. Larger investment, but I'd get more in the long run.

I think it was a complete break, Lady Venom. Luckily not in three places! It was healing up okay, to the point where I could reach behind my head and tie my hair back, until a few days ago. I thought it would be a wise idea to lift my bed. Crunch went the bone, and all the swelling came back. :(

I'm just using a figure of eight sling at the moment. Seems to do the job when I wear it.

I was thinking that if I do get a turbo £150 would be my limit. But, as always thee case, I reckon I could stretch that to £200. :oops:

Cheers for the somewhat unanimous decision. :D

Now just to decide what to buy. The Jet Fluid Pro is on the short list though (given that Winstanley's Bikes have it in stock/get get it).
  • Lady Venom
    Ahhh that's bad. I'm at that stage now (tied hair up for first time today!) so looking for a trainer. NapD has persuaded me to go with the Cycleops. Guess I want something decent eh?

I won't go lifting my bed....!!
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    White Line wrote:
    Don't know how much the gym costs or how long you have to take out a membership for. I've been told it's ~£30 per month for a year, but she's probably wrong.

Actually sounds about right.
  • White Line
    The CycleOps does look good. After a 4am Google session last night I'm thinking that I might get it too.

Going to have to buy one of them turbo tyres too. And a fan. :roll: Suppose it's still cheaper than spunking £360 on the gym.
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Been on the turbo for the last 7 weeks following a shoulder injury. Would have been lost without it. Could only cycle non handed at first but gradually have been able to put more weight on my arms and increase intensity.
    Have tried to do between 60 and 90 mins per day alternating between easier sessions and intervals.
    Watching DVDs for longer sessions works ok and mixing that up with sufferfest vids and an IPOD has made it less mind numbing than I was expecting
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    White Line wrote:
    I was told it would be another twelve weeks or so until I could ride my bike again. Twelve weeks. :shock:
    Not one to recommend ignoring doctors advice, but I was able to do gentle road rides on my MTB 4/5 weeks after a clean break on my right collarbone and back on my road bike soon after that.

I think the advice is given with a view to preventing a similar fall which could cause the part healed bone to puncture a lung which is obviously not recommended. Take it easy if you do any rides before the 12 weeks are up.

PS Agree with the comments on gentle swimming - really helps get the mobility back in your shoulder.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Don't skimp on the fan! Go industrial. I have two - one in front and one behind.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Lady Venom
    Bronzie wrote:
    White Line wrote:
    I was told it would be another twelve weeks or so until I could ride my bike again. Twelve weeks. :shock:
    Not one to recommend ignoring doctors advice, but I was able to do gentle road rides on my MTB 4/5 weeks after a clean break on my right collarbone and back on my road bike soon after that.

I think the advice is given with a view to preventing a similar fall which could cause the part healed bone to puncture a lung which is obviously not recommended. Take it easy if you do any rides before the 12 weeks are up.

PS Agree with the comments on gentle swimming - really helps get the mobility back in your shoulder.

I think 12 weeks is a little excessive.... I've done a lot of googling and many are saying they were back on the bike weeks 3 or 4. I'm in week 3 as of today - gym this week then bike next week. The shipping on a cycleops from wiggle is dispatch 5 - 9 working days and I want it for tomorrow. Dam. So looks like the spin bike for me. I have managed some breaststroke - hurt a lot at first but getting easier. Also google isometric exercises - these are BRILLIANT. Recommend massage as well - I didn't realise how much the crash had screwed up my ligaments and muscles, especially being cooped up in a sling. The good shoulder was worse than the bad one,