Self massage

Jordan93
Jordan93 Posts: 336
Is self massage really that beneficial in speeding up recovery?

Also, could anyone give me tips on how long i should do it for and what sort of technique is best?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Try sitting on your non-writing hand for 20 minutes until it's numb, then when you do your self massage it will feel like someone else is doing it.
  • Jordan93
    I think you misinterpreted the phrase 'self massage' :lol:
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    If Nap hadn't posted it someone else would have!
  • Jordan93
    I know, I guess you lot never grow up :lol: But on a serious note, is it worth it?
  • Anonymous
    Yes.

Or try compression socks.
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    ...or get someone to do it for you!

LOL @ NapD
  • Jordan93
    Lady Venom wrote:
    ...or get someone to do it for you!

LOL @ NapD

Such a helpful comment :roll:
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    Just researching knee pain- massage and found the foam roller technique for strecthing the IT band, quickly nipped to the shop, bought a 2 litre bottle of coke (diet!) as a foam roller substitute....ouch!, this hurts. A LOT. Anyway, 5 minutes later and that leg feels somewhat looser...I'll keep at it, though I'm tempted to drink the coke now. :)
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • Anonymous
    In terms of lower legs I use Prendas' compression socks, they really seem to help me. I do have issues in my lower legs though as I recently had a DVT in one and the other is held together with a rod and bolts.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Yes, self massage and foam roller work can make a HUGE difference.

I have ITB issues, which can be helped alot by self massage and foam roller work

I also get very tight hamstrings (like many cyclists I imagine), they are harder to self massage, and my missus is too weedy to get in really deep, so a foam roller helps there too.

Beware though, it hurts!
  • simon johnson
    I know that generally tight IT bands can explain pain on the outer knee, do yuo think that they can account for twinges on the inside of the knee? Anyway I'm sure a bit of roller action will do me some good, at least in the long run.

Danowat, how long did it take for the roller method to prove effective in your case?
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Yeah, I think I can tolerate the pain of threshold intervals much better since I started getting a sports massage on my legs every 6 weeks - IT band massage is possibly the most painful thing I've ever felt! Well, maybe the second most painful, after an over-zealous podiatrist treat a verruca with concentrated nitric acid.... (it worked though).
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • simon johnson
    I've given up rolling on a coke bottle for tonight! Wondering if it's too hard (the bottle that is); there's not much give in an unopened bottle of that stuff.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • danowat
    I know that generally tight IT bands can explain pain on the outer knee, do yuo think that they can account for twinges on the inside of the knee? Anyway I'm sure a bit of roller action will do me some good, at least in the long run.

Danowat, how long did it take for the roller method to prove effective in your case?

No, I think the ITB is pretty much exclusive to the outer of the knee.

Well, my ITB issues are long standing, had a number of sessions with a physio at the beginning of the year, but at £40 a pop, had to stop.

Its a continual thing for me, my ITB gets tight and knotted, so I just use the foam roller as and when, I know when its better and it stops hurting when I am rolling it!, I'd say a bottle isn't the best thing to use, might be an idea to get hold of a proper roller, they aren't expensive.

All that said, my ITB issues have never been a problem for my cycling, I just can't run anymore.
  • Anonymous
    I've given up rolling on a coke bottle for tonight! Wondering if it's too hard (the bottle that is); there's not much give in an unopened bottle of that stuff.

Your problem is using a Coke bottle. It should be Rola-Cola.
  • Jordan93
    I've had a proper sports massage by Mark Webbers personal trainer, his name is Roger and when hes not with Webber he works at WPPT. And yes god damn it hurt
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    NapoleonD wrote:

Your problem is using a Coke bottle. It should be Rola-Cola.

:lol:
  • 37monkey
    37monkey Posts: 141
    I just had a quick google of foam rollers, looks really interesting, but how often is beneficial? should it be done before or after rides or both. I had my ITB done by a sports masseuse does the roller inflict as much suffering and how easy is it to keep the muscles relaxed whilst breakdancing on a log?
  • danowat
    Hurts more than sports massage in my experiance!!.

I'd have said after, always best to work on warm muscles rather than cold, it takes some practice to get relaxed on it, but you'll get the hang of it.

BTW, it hurts!
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    I'm a regular and enthusiastic self massager! Foam roller for the quads and ITB, hockey ball/softball or equivalent for hams and glutes. Really helps in reduced next-day tiredness and stiffness, plus is great for developing flexibility, particularly in the hip flexor, and if you ever get patellar tendonitis, it can also really help.

The trick, like with massage, is not to go too hard to quickly. Do it daily for a week and you'll build up tolerance; start each session gently and go harder as you feel able.

To understand when and why, you have to understand how it works: when you massage, muscles give up some tension. (There are also various theories about increased blood flow, and this is why some think it's helpful for ITBs - which indeed it is!). So, pre-exercise massage, like passive stretching, is a big no-no. Post ride on the same day, fine but I find it less beneficial. Day after, when you're feeling tight, magic! Knotted/sore muscles, also magic. Pre-stretching, also awesome (massage your rec-fem and hip flexors, and then perform some hip flexor stretches and you'll be amazed at the increase in range of motion). Pre certain kinds of exercise, it can be also really beneficial when used correctly - e.g. if you're doing glute exercises, massaging and stretching your hip flexors beforehand increases the range of motion your glutes can work in.
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    Golf balls are great for massage as well. Foam rollers are awesome - you can get different densities though so pick carefully. I use a rock solid one which while most of the time is great can be painful if very sore or have tweaked something.
  • i've suffered with IT band/outer knee pain for 10 years. Got better with company physio but eventually gave up squash and any bent knee exercise as it would play up :(

Recently i have spent alot of time researching it on google and bought a foam roller - over the last few months although it got better, it wasnt great. I have recently also started training my glutes and have seen the best improvement. Its also helped my ankle/ knee balance and running

I actually got the video link to the glutes exercises on this forum but cant find at the moment - the exercise is the clamshell - ensure you isolate the glutes