OMG YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (Prev. Awwwwww.)

124»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Norky wrote:
    I trust you bought the security man a drink or three.

What? For doing his job? I'd have thought effusive thanks would be perfectly adequate!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Awesome beans!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Great news. I reckon an email to Kryptonite is a good idea, they may want a look at the lock and see if they can learn anything. It's nice to see security guards intervene, so many these days are told to call the police and not get involved. Big thumbs up for them!
  • Hey thats great news, but regarding the lock, i would think that Kryptonite would be very happy with its performance as you should be to, after all the time it took to get off is probably what allowed the guard to save your bike!

It's not a forcefield its a bike lock and all locks are defeatable........
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Great news.

To coin a phrase "well chuffed for ya" I think it is.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Rolf F wrote:
    Norky wrote:

What? For doing his job? I'd have thought effusive thanks would be perfectly adequate!

AFAIK he works for a different company/building.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Congrats LiT - nice to have a happy ending :D:D:D:D:D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Great news!
    rf6 wrote:
    Great news. I reckon an email to Kryptonite is a good idea, they may want a look at the lock and see if they can learn anything. It's nice to see security guards intervene, so many these days are told to call the police and not get involved. Big thumbs up for them!

Lits, this please!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Rolf F wrote:
    Norky wrote:

Think of it as a nice gesture.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Result! Nice to see a security guard actually tackle some thieves for once.
  • zanes wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Norky wrote:

Think of it as a nice gesture.

Agreed, I am going to bring him cake this week.
  • DonDaddyD
    "Bom chika wah wah!!!"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,883
    Maybe he masterminded the whole thing - paid of a couple of guys to pretend to nick the bike so he could rush to the rescue...

Maybe I watch too much telly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    A competent bike thief would have silently prised the D-lock with a bottlejack in about 20 secs, not tried to cut it.

Luckily, the thief seems to have been less than proficient in this instance.

Using both a chain and a D-lock is more secure than a single expensive lock, IMO.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Rolf F wrote:
    Norky wrote:

The Security Guard's job is to protect his employer's property, not put himself at risk protecting a bike belonging to someone else.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • snailracer wrote:
    A competent bike thief would have silently prised the D-lock with a bottlejack in about 20 secs, not tried to cut it.

Luckily, the thief seems to have been less than proficient in this instance.

Using both a chain and a D-lock is more secure than a single expensive lock, IMO.

Depends how much bike you manage to stuff into said d-lock.

Edit: And well done, Mr. Security guard.
  • DonDaddyD
    snailracer wrote:

This.

Thieves are chancers, if it looks like its gonna take a long time to brake the lock and ride off with the bike they'll probably look for something easier.

With the exception of cheap cable locks, a bike secured with two locks will always look less appealing to thieves than a bike with one lock.

IMO of course.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Awesome, this is the kind of thing we like to see. I've always had (unfairly perhaps) a slightly low opinion of private security guards to be honest. It just makes me glad that I can store my bike in our building.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Great news.

If it's a sponge cake, I'm quite happy to help if you accidentally make one too many and need to get rid :lol:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Great News...........phew...........
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Glad you got it back, LiT. I feel you ought to get it into your sig soon, though, in case it gets grabbed again... maybe with those bullhorns on?

How's the BB saga going? Have "Fuji" checked it out, yet?

Cheers,
    W.
  • LiT, so glad to hear you got it back, it's depressing to hear all the stories of bikes stolen and to hear yours has cheered me up no end :-)
  • It cheered me up no end as well! :D:D:D

As far as the BB saga, I've just spoken to Fuji's UK lot again, and it'll be going in to an Evans in the Mayfair area at their expense either later this week or early next to be repaired or replaced as required.

Excellent service from Fuji, I have to say.

EDIT: And on the bullhorns, I'm waiting until the BB is sorted - no point putting them on just to take them off again!