OMG YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY (Prev. Awwwwww.)

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Someone stole my fixie.

:(

I guess it's my own fault for leaving it locked up in Mayfair for a week, but it was a bloody big lock, and a pretty secure place... or so I thought...

Comments

• Oh no! Swines! Still, Mayfair - dodgy part of town.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Commiserations :(
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    The new one! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Bike Thief Scum.

:twisted:

I thought you'd broken your fixie ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Someone stole my fixie.

:(

I guess it's my own fault for leaving it locked up in Mayfair for a week, but it was a bloody big lock, and a pretty secure place... or so I thought...

Oh no that sucks and it's didn't even make it into you sig :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Someone stole my fixie. ...

The Fuji? B*st*rds!
    I guess it's my own fault for leaving it locked up in Mayfair for a week...
    Nope, can't see that... how can it be your fault that someone stole your locked bike?

Even if you have a "duty of care" to a piece of property, I think locking it securely in a reputable area covers it.

Commiserations... Was it insured?

Cheers,
    W.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Hang on, is it the Fuji? I thought that was off back to Fuji to have its BB sorted. Either way it's still rubbish, but as you say not overly surprising.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • No, it only cost me £350, so I didn't think it was worth insuring.

Yes the fuji, yes b'stards.

Ah well, I guess this sorts out the knackered BB issue.

I wonder... buy a new fixie or use the tifosi?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    edited August 2010
    Hey LiT,
    Reminds me- perhaps not best timing (then again, maybe it is) but I was going to comment again on the use of bullhorns for a fixie.

I've recently been swapping between the Winter Hack and the newly refurbed "Summer Hack". These are both fixed but the summer hack has standard drops, whereas the winter one has flipped & chopped bullhorns. It's noticeably easier & more comfortable to crank the bullhorn-equipped bike hard uphill or from lights, as the bars are easier to grip (than the hoods) and better positioned (than the drops or tops).

[edit]: Bad news about the insurance- ouch. You must be £400 out of pocket, with the lock & stuff, too :-(. My sympathies.

Cheers,
    W.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Sorry for your loss

Just a thought but if as you say you left "it locked up in Mayfair for a week" could it have been removed by the owners of whatever it was locked to?

ETA obv I'm not saying it was your fault, it just might be worth a phonecall to check
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TWH - good point, however unfortunately the company I work for own the (big heavy cast iron window railings) I locked it to.

I am going to call the council just in case.

And Buns, I'd bought it some bullhorns... :(
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    That's terrible!

I thought Mayfair was quite plush and posh...

I'd find another place to lock the bike, perhaps inside the building...

Fixie's and LiT are synonymous with one another. It'll be wierd if you ride geared....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's a sad fact, but I would have thought that it doesn't matter where you lock a bike up, if you leave it outside for a week then it's going to get nicked, vadalised, or removed by council / etc.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Scumbag bike thieves. :-(
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Spoken to the council, they haven't removed it.

I kind of half thought it'd be OK as it's technically on provate property and pretty secure, being off the main street and all, but no.

It wasn't my original plan to leave it, I did so as I was doing a favour for a friend giving her a lift back to Essex, and felt I ought to accompany her on the tube.

*sigh*
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Aw, that sucks mightily. A whole world of suckitude.

new bike, new bike, new bike, new bike new bike new bike :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Le bummer. A pox on the thieving scumbags.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Ahh, that is cr*p. A pox on them.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:
    Aw, that sucks mightily. A whole world of suckitude.

new bike, new bike, new bike, new bike new bike new bike :D

+1. Commiserations. May it break under the thief. Two of mine are now insured (got the Viner sorted as travel insurance won't cover it for the Paris trip, Jetstream's been covered for a while), should get them all done really...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Really sorry to hear it m'dear. What we need is some booby trapped bait bikes!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Actually, shit, that's not a bad idea? Locators in the frames - let them get nicked and then send round the cops to hoik the scrotes? Or is that entrapment?

If it's legal then it wouldn't take too long for the word to go around.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    SimonAH wrote:
    Actually, shoot, that's not a bad idea? Locators in the frames - let them get nicked and then send round the cops to hoik the scrotes? Or is that entrapment?

If it's legal then it wouldn't take too long for the word to go around.

The cops do it now. Provided the bike is locked then it's not entrapment, or something like that.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Carbon fixie ???

do it ..........!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,485
    Is it wrong to now hope that there was something really catastrophically wrong with that BB, perhaps causing it to seize mid pedal stroke.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Commiz LiT, but ITB makes a good suggestion :wink:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    itboffin wrote:
    Carbon fixie ???

do it ..........!

One of Velocity's more enthusiastic customers (two Maximas....!!!) has just got a Perfecta fixie (road frame rather than Pista, but SS droputs). I'd go for something a little more sensible (and cheaper!) if I were you.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Is it wrong to now hope that there was something really catastrophically wrong with that BB, perhaps causing it to seize mid pedal stroke.

Damn it I hope so!

I hope the shell is irreversibly cracked, and the bb falls out into the road, and the thief is using the SPD pedals and they get stuck on the bike. And fall over. And hurt themselves.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Feel for you. I had my beloved stolen earlier this year, just about got over it.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Aw Liv, that is really sucky. I reckon give Fuji a call and say "hi, have you got my frame that you're replacing yet, I posted it to you last week" and see what they say :)

In bullhorn news, Planet X are selling a Pro Lite bullhorn bar for £15 - 70% off.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's a sad fact, but I would have thought that it doesn't matter where you lock a bike up, if you leave it outside for a week then it's going to get nicked, vadalised, or removed by council / etc.

Used to live in West hampstead - left my mountatin bike u-locked to a sign post for about six months. Only thing that went missing was a downtube crudcatcher and the rack....

Still, it was an Apollo!!