Canyon Ultimate CF......

Simon1890
Simon1890 Posts: 117
edited September 2010 in Your road bikes
Here's my new baby:

IMGP3153-1.jpg

IMGP3146-1.jpg

Frame: Canyon Ultimate CF Evo (in team colours)
Forks: Canyon OneOneFour SLX
Bars: Ritchey WCS Logic II in white
Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis
Headset:Acros Ai-70
Bar Tape: Cinelli

Front Brake Lever: SRAM Force
Front Caliper: SRAM Force
Rear Brake Lever: SRAM Force
Rear Caliper: SRAM Force

Shifters: SRAM Force
Cables: Jagwire
Front Mech: SRAM Force
Rear Mech: SRAM Force

Seat: San Marco Concor Light (in white)
Seat Post: Ritchey VCLS
Seat Post Clamp:Canyon

Chainset: SRAM Force
Chain: SRAM PC 1070
Cassette: SRAM 1070 11 - 28
Pedals: Look KEO
Bottom Bracket: SRAM GXP

Wheelset: Ritchey COMP
Tires: Vittoria Rubino Road

Accessories: None yet, carbon bottle cages planned.

Weight: 7.2kg

Other info:
Basically, was in an accident, old bike was destroyed and had to spend 3 months off the bike. Took the oppertunity to upgrade to a better bike and after debating between Boardman and Planet X for ages i stumbled across Canyon bikes, loved the look and jumped at the chance to buy one in their TDF offer. Changed form Shimano groupset on my old Boardman to SRAM on the new one and built it up myself in order to learn better maintenance.
Been for a quick ride and was impressed with its comfortable ride and stifness, love it. Got a few niggling problems to sort:
1. Bar tape not great so will need replacing.
2. Chain length - i've obviously made a mistake when installing it as i can't get the full range of gears!!! whoops!!
3. Better setup of gears, position and general checks.

I know i'm running a compact with 11-28 cassette but i live in the middle of hills hills hills. Just to get to my house i have to ride up a 2 mile, 9% average hill!!!

BEST BIT OF ALL:
The bike, minus the wheels (which are my old training wheels) came in at just under £1500 so i'm really pleased.
Even better is the weight of this thing...7.2kg with my ultra heavy training wheels!! I'm thinking some carbon tubs aorund the 1500g mark and the overall weight will drop to below 6.8kg!!

HAPPY DAYS!!

Comments

• great looking bike and all for a nice price as well.
  • nice, looks like a zebra.
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    +1 Zebra
    You haven't got a spare black or white dust cap for the front have you?
  • Simon1890
    rjh299 wrote:
    +1 Zebra
    You haven't got a spare black or white dust cap for the front have you?

Ha ha, yeah my OCD is going mental, notice i had to hide it in the first photo!!

It's top of my 'to do list'!!
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Be careful with it, though. By the looks of things you've already ridden it so fast you've started to blow the words off it.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    very nice bike. sorry for being negative but
    im struggling to understand where the weight saving of well over 800g over my team (without pedals)carbon is.it has similar equipment, there cant be that much difference in force over rival. wheels basicly the same (pro, maybe lighter), comp stems/post rather than wcs. im just curious.
    arent the wheels about 1850g, i know its not light but is it really mega heavy.
    according to this
    http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... /3234.html
    there is less than 100g difference between rival and force groups.
    by my calculations the frame, seatpost bars and stem would have to be at least 700g lighter if the pedals weighed nothing. :?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Tyres will look gash quickly but that is a very, very nice looking machine. 8)
  • Nice. Very nice. But you must sort out your saddles angle of wangle....
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    rake wrote:
    im struggling to understand where the weight saving of well over 800g over my team (without pedals)carbon is.it has similar equipment, there cant be that much difference in force over rival. wheels basicly the same (pro, maybe lighter), comp stems/post rather than wcs. im just curious.
    according to this
    by my calculations the frame, seatpost bars and stem would have to be at least 700g lighter if the pedals weighed nothing. :?

The frame looks freakin' tiny for a start, there could be about 2-300g in that!!
  • Simon1890
    rake wrote:
    according to this

The Canyon frame, WITH fork, seatpost and stem came to 1296g when i weighed it on arrival.
    The Boardman Pro Carbon frame is 1500g (from looking online) WITHOUT seatpost and stem. The Team carbon will be heavier still...i'm assuming that's where the main difference will be...

The Boardman Team Carbon is a smidge under 8kg without pedals.
    Mine is 7.26kg without pedals (i didn't state that in my original post)
    So the 700 ish gramme difference will be in frame, stem, seatpost, and groupset...

I think!!!
  • Simon1890
    But you must sort out your saddles angle of wangle....

Que?!?!?! What's wrong with it?!!
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Simon1890 wrote:
    Que?!?!?! What's wrong with it?!!

levelling it would be a good start....it will open up a whole new world of comfort for you... ;)
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Looks good. 8) Why the tiny BMX style stem though?

Good luck keeping it clean and not losing it in the snow come winter. :lol:
  • Simon1890
    White Line wrote:
    Looks good. 8) Why the tiny BMX style stem though?

Good luck keeping it clean and not losing it in the snow come winter. :lol:

Yeah i'll be interested to see what colour things are in a years time!!

The stem is just what shipped with the frame when i bought it. Will be replacing it with a longer stem shortly as it does feel a little cramped.

Sorted the saddle now as well....lovely.
  • bhm0381
    bhm0381 Posts: 2
    Hi Simon

Im sure you know that the stems are manufactured especially for Canyon by Ritchey with a 1 1/4 inch steer clamp

You will either need to get back to canyon to purchase a different length stem or you could get a Syntace 119 stem which is available with the larger clamp,The Syntace stems were sold with Canyon framesets before they changed over to Ritchey.

Hope this helps...

Nice build BTW...
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Or FSA OS 120 on sale at Planet X for £15.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    Or FSA OS 120 on sale at Planet X for £15.

As far as i can see this is for a 1 1/8 steerer, it needs to be a 1 1/4....shame, £15 would be a nice price!

I'm aware of the Sytance F119 stems, but can't seem to find a decent source in the UK. Anyone got any ideas?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    No it is a 1 1/4 fitting. It includes a shim to make it the more standard 1 1/8. So if you like the price and looks, definitely go for it!

Your best bet for a Syntace stem is some sort of European online bike shop. I'm sure someone here knows a decent Dutch, Belgian or German online store who does Syntace?
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    No it is a 1 1/4 fitting. It includes a shim to make it the more standard 1 1/8. So if you like the price and looks, definitely go for it!

Your best bet for a Syntace stem is some sort of European online bike shop. I'm sure someone here knows a decent Dutch, Belgian or German online store who does Syntace?

Just ordered one, i pray to god you're not having me on!