training and sleeping

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited September 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Does anyone else find that if they are training regularly and take a few days off, they have trouble sleeping? I'm going out about 4 times a week at the moment, but for various reasons I took 3 full days off recently, and my sleep was progressively worse on each successive night. I just wasn't feeling tired, and was getting that situation where you can't get to sleep because the brain just won't shut down.

I guess it would make sense that if you are adapted to exercise and then go cold turkey, the metabolism might have too much energy which could in turn interfere with sleeping. Doubtless it would eventually sort itself out if you "detrained" and continued to skip the exercise. The thing is, it could be a real problem in certain situations, e.g. if I go away to a conference for a few days and can't do any cycling, but need to be alert and awake in the morning... any tips for dealing with this, or is it just me?

Comments

• I have a very similar problem. If I'm honest I haven't found a solution, but I have found a few things that help:

- Have a HOT shower right before getting into bed, science says your rapidly cooling core temperature when you get out of the shower is similar to that experienced shortly before falling asleep. For me this tends to be hit and miss, at times it's exactly what I need, at other times it just energises me.

- Turn off all electronics 30 minutes prior to going to bed. No checking BikeRadar just before getting into bed, no standby lights, just pure darkness and silence. Again this doesn't always work for me, sometimes it just makes me wonder what I'm missing.

- ZMA - A supplement consisting of zinc, magnesium and vitamin B6. It is generally used to replenish the low levels of magnesium in athletes however the benefits it provides in getting to sleep are well documented (though recent studies have been inconclusive). It usually helps me nod off; at times I feel as though I'm experiencing a placebo effect however I've never taken it and woken up the next day without having a vivid dream.

- Oh and I came across this image, it has a perfectly legitimate message:

633862219917371750-masterbation.jpg

I realise that I've just told you what doesn't (really) work but there isn't a fool proof and correct answer. You simply have to experiment and hope that your lucky enough to find something that works for you.
  • neeb
    Thanks for the tips, one or two of which of course I was already aware of... :)

ZMA - interesting. I've never thought that I've needed Mg supplements because when I look at the main dietary sources I pretty much eat all of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FoodS ... nesium.jpg

Except the daffodils maybe, the presence of which in that picture made me laugh and reminded me of this classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Thanks for that you tube link - Made my day!

Read a boring book - doesnt work for me
    Listen to a relaxation podcast (which does work for me)
    Warm milky drink - works sort of
    Magnesium supllement - works sort of
    walk/swim in the evening - works
    alcohol can be helpful - but only in moderation of course
  • neeb
    Reading doesn't really work for me either. If I'm tired, I will fall asleep anyway as soon as I start reading, if I'm not, I'll just keep reading...
    Listen to a relaxation podcast (which does work for me)
    Never tried that. I assume this is waves crashing on a beach, birds twittering in forests etc with mellow expansive music in the background?
    alcohol can be helpful - but only in moderation of course
    Small amounts of alcohol sometimes send me to sleep immediately, but if they don't, they seem to make things worse. Larger amounts of course work very well in the short term, but seriously interfere with sleep overall...
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Relaxation podcast - no not waves crashing on a beach stuff- one of those *lie back somewhere comfortable..... take a deep breath.... feel how .....' ones. Practicing actually makes it work better - search for meditation podcasts - not too long and stand alone ones - many are parts of series etc. the one I use is 8 minutes long and works well before 'big' days when nervous energy is keeping me awake.
  • Stay off stimulants like coffee, tea, sugery power drinks after midday.
  • Lady Venom
    Lady Venom Posts: 213
    Read up about Melatonin. Works very well. Many US athletes use it as not even over the ounter in the US. Has other great properties other than just promoting good sleep.
  • i'd avoid using drugs to help you sleep.

i used to struggle to sleep but by following some simple advice and changing a few things i've solved my problems completely.

- bed at a regular time every day
    - invest in a decent supportive mattress
    - don't eat near bedtime
    - declutter the bedroom
    - do some pre bed stretches and breathing exercises

here is a collection of sensible good sleep tips that t would be worth taking a look at.