185mm rotor v 203mm... Drastic difference?

124»

Comments

• weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Seems strange that the Fox website says 205mm rotors are ok for the 32's:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consum ... keInfo.htm
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    All Fox's are warrantied up to a 205mm rotor, bigger in some cases

All RS's, apart from the Sids unless I overlooked some, are warrantied upto a 210mm rotor, again bigger in some cases.

And others like Marz and Maguru etc. I don't really know so won't comment
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I know that at the very least, all 20mm axle Marzocchi forks are rated for 205mm+ rotors.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A smaller rotor, when the brakes are locked, inputs a greater reaction force into parts of system than a larger rotor.
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    A smaller rotor, when the brakes are locked, inputs a greater reaction force into parts of system than a larger rotor.

Is that good or bad :lol:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    peter413 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Is that good or bad :lol:
    Bad, more force being applied to the rotor bolts and hub etc. per unit of braking force applied.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    NatoED wrote:
    marzocchi forks are not warrentied for 203mm rotors and niether are RS forks. Magura and fox are for up to 210mm but 32 are 180mm only . you can run 203mm but if your fork internals or stantions wear you can't claim.

I worked in a bike shop and saw some realy bad condition forks due to the front brake being to large. Manitous are the worst for it.

Interesting, as when i checked with both Orange and Mojo they said its fine to run a 203 on my Floats with standard QR.
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    hmm must have changed from earlier this year . i stand corrected then . must have changed for 2010 then , as i was dealing with 09 forks.
  • peter413
    NatoED wrote:
    hmm must have changed from earlier this year . i stand corrected then . must have changed for 2010 then , as i was dealing with 09 forks.

It's been the same since 2005 I'm sure, before then you couldn't use a bigger rotor than 185mm on the F series
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    NatoED wrote:

mine are 09
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    looks like a bad day at the office for NatoED.
    :oops:
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    not really . I got it wrong and i hold my hands up . what can i say ? a bad day in the office would be to to fight even though i've been shown to be wrong.