Lloydy on doping in the 70s

Comments

• FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Sad. Old. Git. Read his website: "I smashed all the records" etc. Why believe the words of someone who has such an opionion of himself?

The 220 wins is certainly impressive. How much of this was before or after he turned pro? How many were continental?

I didn't know you could "win" a sportive tho. I'll certainly have to try harder next time.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    NapoleonD wrote:
    How great is Dave Lloyd? If I was him I'd be spouting it off at every opportunity!

You wouldn't need to be him to spout off, he does quite well on his own.

From his previous musings about how much better he was than everyone in the world (especially Paul Curran), I'm going to condense this article into "I'd have won the Tour De France if they weren't all on drugs".

:roll:

I think Nap D's subtle sarcasm may have passed you by :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The 220 wins is certainly impressive. How much of this was before or after he turned pro? How many were continental?
    I think nearly all of his victories were UK criteriums or TTs and the number includes ‘before-pro’.

Perhaps his biggest success (and maybe his only continental one?) was the GP Wilhelm Tell in Switzerland in 1972. He won overall and won both the 2nd and 7th stages. The 7th was the last stage, a 35 km TT, and his victory allowed him to move from second to first overall. But he apparently took himself beyond the limit when doing it - he reputedly could only see black the last 500 m, couldn't see the road or finish properly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    A cynic would ask how he managed to smash all those records and win so much against riders who were doped. Luckily there's no cynics on this forum :lol:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    “When I joined TI Raleigh, I soon found out most of the riders were doping”

Lloyd joined in ‘73, when 11 of the 14 squad were British, incl. Phil Bayton. :shock:

The following year, Peter Post took over the team, Thurau, Pronk and Schuiten arrived, and Sid Barras replaced Bayton. Over the next couple of years, Post then introduced more Dutch (e.g. Raas, Knetemann and Kuiper) and got rid of all but two of the British, Lloyd and Bob Cary.

“I was the same size as Hennie Kuiper, and Post wanted me to be his right hand man in the 1976 Tour”

Lloyd left TI Raleigh at the end of May 1976, due to a ‘heart condition’. :?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Pross wrote:
    A cynic would ask how he managed to smash all those records and win so much against riders who were doped. Luckily there's no cynics on this forum :lol:

:D top humour Pross!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    edited August 2010
    I love the logic of "If I hadn't had to wait for my team leader in the Tour of Switzerland [wasn't that your job, Dave?] then I'd have come fourth, and that means I could have been on the podium in the longer, tougher, more hotly contested Tour de France". We can all be 'winners' if we think along these lines.

He always struck me as a sort of Flemmish hard man character, I wonder how he'd have coped with the high mountains required to do well in the Tour. He always seemed a little on the 'robust' side for that part of the job.

Also, what of this heart condition that forced his early retirement? Now, it could well have been congenital, or very likely due to his mammoth training and racing schedule - but very little is made of it in anything I can find, and it's possible to speculate on all sorts of things - maybe he wasn't as innocent as the original article in this thread makes out?
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Sad. Old. Git. Read his website: "I smashed all the records" etc. Why believe the words of someone who has such an opionion of himself?

I didn't know you could "win" a sportive tho. I'll certainly have to try harder next time.

I've had another look at the website - I couldn't resist having read some of these posts.......it's solid gold.

Just in case you didn't know, "...there is little doubt that Dave Lloyd was one of the greatest cyclists this country has ever produced..." and "...there is also little doubt he would have had a podium finish in the Tour de France, such was his ability in stage races..." had it not been for his heart condition. Funnily enough heart condition is one of the few paraphrases or scare quotes he choses not to include in "quotation marks"?!

My personal favourite is, "...Dave’s rise to fame on the bike can only be described as meteoric..."

And lest not we forget, his "awsomeness" extends well beyond riding, "...apart from his racing prowess, Dave has been the most innovative bike designer of his age...."

A cure for cancer, creation of dark matter in CERN's Large Hadron Collider and discovery of the world's first perputial zero carbon energy source are other notable side projects...

He's some piece 'o work alright...
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Ash_ wrote:
    maybe he wasn't as innocent as the orgiinal article in this thread makes out?
    But aren't Scousers renowned for their honesty. :wink::lol:
  • Ash_ wrote:

I would suggest this is probably the case.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • The old boy has to have the biggest ego in cycling, I don't think any other rider, not even Lance, comes close to the self-glorification that you can find on his website:

"There is also little doubt he would have had a podium finish in the Tour de France, such was his ability in stage races.

He proved this in the Tour de Suisse in 1975, where, had he not had to wait for his team mate Thurau for three minutes when in the crucial break (an order from his team manager Post!) he would have finished fourth overall! "

So all those pros who nearly finished 4th in the lesser tours, don't give up - you have proved you are on track for a TdF podium finish :lol:

His website is PR overkill - I'd be expecting someone as grand as that to be at least heading up our Olympic team and why hasn't Sky snapped him up? He could take over from Brailsford any day of the week. How have they missed him?

Problem is, he trains people till they drop and few cyclists subscribe to that approach any more - just ask other well-known coaches how many ex-Lloyd riders they have had to retrain. His approach to power meters actually made sense - most amateur riders don't need one to make significant gains. Too change his mind and become a salesman for a specific brand shows his integrity has a price.

DL's record is impressive, maybe he would have won something big, who knows - reminds me of my dear old grandpa who won the war singlehandedly.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Lovely colour coordination and those Boras are a nice touch.
    lloyd_climbing.jpg

Did you know that Dave lloyd is perpetually in that pose above? He never rides at anything less than 100%! Everytime I see him he's got his eyeballs on stalks and his teeth gritted :lol:
  • Still chasing that podium . . . :lol:
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Never heard of him till i read this thread, then again i'm a southerner, at first i thought he was a tennis player :?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Homer J wrote:
    Never heard of him till i read this thread, then again i'm a southerner, at first i thought he was a tennis player :?

Me neither. Mind you, my knowledge of British pros prior to Millar and Yates is very sketchy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Homer J wrote:
    I was there Aug/Sept 1981 on the Tonbridge By-Pass (Kent) to see him break Comp Record for this new fangled Track distance of 10 miles.
    I was also there for each of the couple of years earlier to see to see Sean Yates do the same thing.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    Homer J wrote:
    I was there Aug/Sept 1981 on the Tonbridge By-Pass (Kent) to see him break Comp Record for this new fangled Track distance of 10 miles.
    I was also there for each of the couple of years earlier to see to see Sean Yates do the same thing.

So was Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses :lol:
  • deejay
    So was Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses :lol:
    The best part of that joke is that your turn will come as will mine.
  • Dribblling into our corn flakes no doubt - at least Dave has good stories to tell!
  • deejay
    Homer J wrote:
    My post was to say that several hundred "southern" club riders were out on the course to watch his record breaking performance.
    Maybe uncle Albert was one of them. ??
  • Can't help but chip in my tuppenceworth, which involves having the pleasure of Mr Lloyd's company on a couple of sportives.

Both times he caught me after about 50 to 60 miles*. Both times I've ridden in a small group of six riders or less, for about 30 to 40 miles during which time his nose is never once out in the front and he doesn't utter a word to anyone. Both times he's fooked off up the road in the last stages of the event, to finish in the top 10 (as opposed to my top 20). On one occasion, we chased him down, and he just sat up and expected to be towed to the finish line (which I duly obliged until I had shot my bolt :oops: ).

Do I admire him for his fitness on a bike? Yes, undoubtedly.
    Have I met others with almost exactly the same experiences? Yes.
    Would I pay to attend one of his training camps? Errr, no.

*no doubt having jumped from a group that he's milked.
  • Would I pay to attend one of his training camps? Errr, no.

From what I've heard you'd need to have a threshold test before he'd make a comitment to training you. I understand this point of view: if you bust a gut to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear you can earn brownie points for your skill as a coach, but it's not as much of a pay off as cherry-picking those people who have the talent but who aren't (up until that point ) training efficiently. And there are plenty of big-earning bankers (or their girlfriends) who are doing just that.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think the way he has placed his name all over his kit is indicative of his ego. Wish my name was Giordana.
  • His approach to power meters actually made sense - most amateur riders don't need one to make significant gains. Too change his mind and become a salesman for a specific brand shows his integrity has a price.

This page is littered with (putting it charitably) misstatements, but worst of all is that he doesn't seem to grasp the difference between a power meter and a power estimator.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Ash_ wrote:
    I think you've confused the word honesty with...
    Bl**dy annoying accent.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    morstar wrote:
    Ash_ wrote:
    Bl**dy annoying accent.

Unlike the people of Chorley who speak perfect English with no hint of an accent, you daft pie eating kn*b

Getting back to the topic (unless there are any other 5 year olds who want to comment),

I spoke to Lloyds about a training plan a few years ago, the gist of it was to go out and bury yourself riding every day. Not exactly the most scientific approach and definitely not worth £120 a month. He seems to have a weird chip on his shoulder, more interested in seeing riders suffer than improve.
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • Anonymous
    colint wrote:
    morstar wrote:
    Ash_ wrote:
    Bl**dy annoying accent.

Unlike the people of Chorley who speak perfect English with no hint of an accent, you daft pie eating kn*b

handbags.jpg

You are confusing Chorley with Wigan...

Anyway,
    I like the way how he quotes a powertap as being 1500 quid plus or minus. Mine was cheaper than the iBike new and I can use it on the turbo. It doesn't use guesswork either!
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    NapoleonD wrote:

Anyway,
    I like the way how he quotes a powertap as being 1500 quid plus or minus. Mine was cheaper than the iBike new and I can use it on the turbo. It doesn't use guesswork either!

Yep, and the others are confusing Wirral with Liverpool. Dave Lloyd lives on the rather leafy and desirable west coast of the Wirral - not Liverpool :lol:
  • Anonymous
    dodgy wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Anyway,

Yep, and the others are confusing Wirral with Liverpool. Dave Lloyd lives on the rather leafy and desirable west coast of the Wirral - not Liverpool :lol:

Desirable Wirral...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TIagabESl4

;)
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    edited August 2010
    NapoleonD wrote:
    dodgy wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Anyway,

Desirable Wirral...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TIagabESl4

;)

He said west Wirral, but don't let the points of compass spoil your link posting.
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er