Why is spending 2.5k on a frame so difficult?

2»

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i want a relatively exclusive brand though thats the problem ST.
  • st199ml
    st199ml Posts: 63
    OK well discount Colnago but the rest are as rare as hen's teeth. I've seen two Serottas and one Glider ever.

The really rare and exclusive Italian brands don't seem to do much Carbon. Eg Pegoretti.
  • spasypaddy
    yeah i know about the lack of carbon. there is now a guru on my list.

think the glider is going to be well out of my price range :( same with the serotta
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Buy two bikes. Enables you to tick both the sportive and TT boxes, and allows you to choose more than one brand....
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spasypaddy
    TGOTB - No. i currently have a planet x and im just going to retire the frame and transfer components. i dont have the room for another bike
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    spasypaddy wrote:
    TGOTB - No.
    Was worth trying :-)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I think the Viner suggestion is a good one, and as you're based in London you could get it custom fitted at Le Beau Velo.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I think the Viner suggestion is a good one, and as you're based in London you could get it custom fitted at Le Beau Velo.
    Google tells me they are a literal stone's throw from my work. How did I not know?
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • The Viner suggestion has already been made a few times, so I'll save sounding like a broken record for now.

OK... exclusive is what you want? Aside from how pretentious and silly that sounds... how about a Parlee? Or an Independent Fabrications? Moots? Or something from here: http://bespokecycling.com/ or here http://www.mosquito-bikes.co.uk/
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    Google tells me they are a literal stone's throw from my work. How did I not know?

They've just moved (there's an article on London Cycle Sport about it from a couple of weeks back)- they were in Great Eastern Street before, their old place was by appointment only, they now have a showroom. Coincidentally, my Viner dealer will be moving too, should be October. No longer a short walk when I'm going to collect a bike, it's a couple of miles from me, but their new place will be even better.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    when you say Bike 1 do you mean that cervelo?

Yep.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    cervelo wont be making the list

Ah well...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • how about a Parlee?

Yes.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    how about a Parlee?

Yes.

I took a mate's for what could be describd as a test ride of he sort you'd get in a shop, albeit in some country lanes. His set up wasn't my favourite, but it felt nice. I wouldn't necessarily buy one as I prefer the likes of Bike 1, but I could be persuaded by a Cyfac or IF.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    DDD talks sense!

I'd go for Storck I think if I was spending that much, I've never heard a bad word said about them.

Or a willier cento uno, you don't see many of them around and they are sexy.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • spasypaddy
    cjcp wrote:
    cant afford an IF :(

I respect what cervelo are doing in the world of cycling but they are EVERYWHERE.

Parlee are on the list.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    It is hard because whatever you get will be last years bike in a few months time. That is the problem with carbon superbikes.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Oh, and you can afford a top-end IF steel bike. You really should have a go on a 853 or (yum) 953 frame if you can. That's what my dream bike would be, I think (NB I've never ridden Ti).
  • spasypaddy
    max lelli (vipera) is now quite high up my list.

roastie im buying beginning of next year (dont have the money lying around). If i was impulse buying right now i would be having a cinelli strato.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    biondino wrote:
    Oh, and you can afford a top-end IF steel bike. You really should have a go on a 853 or (yum) 953 frame if you can. That's what my dream bike would be, I think (NB I've never ridden Ti).

Yup +1 from me... He says he doesn't want steel, though. Not sure why.. seems to me that a custom steel frame would be the best way to meet his specific requirements, and steel won't look dated (or, at least, any more dated, if you subscribe to the school of thought that it already does :-) ) in a few years time.
    ..and if it does get broken, the guy who made it for you can fix it for you... assuming he's still around. I think the guy that made the 531 touring frame my dad bought in 1948 has probably retired by now... I'm still riding it, though...

Cheers,
    W.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    biondino wrote:

Yup +1 from me... He says he doesn't want steel, though. Not sure why.. seems to me that a custom steel frame would be the best way to meet his specific requirements, and steel won't look dated (or, at least, any more dated, if you subscribe to the school of thought that it already does :-) ) in a few years time.
    ..and if it does get broken, the guy who made it for you can fix it for you... assuming he's still around. I think the guy that made the 531 touring frame my dad bought in 1948 has probably retired by now... I'm still riding it, though...

Cheers,
    W.

Yeah now I'm actually looking at buying a decent bike I think I'm going to go for something steel too. Will I have to grow a beard though?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • 5milestogo
    5milestogo Posts: 224
    Glad I found this thread but the prices are beyond me. My Ti frames' seat tube cracked on Monday and I reckon its dust unless Enigma can work miracles! I generally only use it for commuting circa 35m per day but was considering a Sabbath or Van Nicholas frame for circa GBP1000. Before long (pennies permitting) I will upgrade it to the weekend bike and get something else for commuting but is this the thing to do? Is steel really an option if I want to climb surrey hills on sundays?
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    edited August 2010
    Roastie wrote:
    It is hard because whatever you get will be last years bike in a few months time. That is the problem with carbon superbikes.

One reason I got a Look 585 - timeless; they've been making them for years :lol:

Seriously though, Looks are nice and not too common and not pretend European like a lot of companies that trade off their past. And, seemingly almost uniquely, along with Time, Look don't make any cheap bikes so gain extra snob value!
    StuAff wrote:
    That, and owners have a tendency to wax lyrical to all and sundry about how great the bikes are at any given opportunity (guilty as charged and proud of it, see also LiT and Chip \'oyler in particular).

Chip pretty much only posts to say how great Viners are! If somebody posts about wanting to get a BMX, Chip is in there telling them to get a Viner........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    5milestogo wrote:
    Is steel really an option if I want to climb surrey hills on sundays?

I climbed Harknott on a 32lb steel MTB and Honister, Newlands, Whinlatter, Fleet Moss, Tan Hill, The Stang and Park Rash on a 28lb 501 tubed touring bike.

You might want slightly more conservative gearing on a slightly heavier bike but steel is no excuse for wimping out in Surrey :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chip pretty much only posts to say how great Viners are! If somebody posts about wanting to get a BMX, Chip is in there telling them to get a Viner........

Yup, he should get a commission! :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Canny Jock
    JonGinge wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

Which means you must be pretty close to me too. I had trouble tracking them down, but I've been in and booked a fitting on my current bike - nice relaxed setup, it's worth dropping in for a chat with Mal.
  • Canny Jock
    JonGinge wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

Which means you must be pretty close to me too. I had trouble tracking them down, but I've been in and booked a fitting on my current bike - nice relaxed setup, it's worth dropping in for a chat with Mal.
  • spasypaddy
    i might pop into le beau when i take a week off work to plan my new bike properly. going round to lots of shops and having a look