Why is spending 2.5k on a frame so difficult?

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
There is just toooooooooo much choice.

anyone got any suggestions.

rules are:
different
rare
carbon
awesome

Preferable:
italian/European

Riding: sportive, club, race, tt, triathlon

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Too much choice and you want more suggestions?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spasypaddy
    i want suggestions because im looking and looking and i need stuff put in front of me, today i have gone through this list:
    http://www.bikesutra.com/manatoi.html
    and am making an excel spreadsheet with frames on it
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Thats not how it works.

You find a frame you love thats way over your budget and then convince yourself that you need it.

Wheres the fun in setting the budget beforehand :?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    because the penny jar required would be fooking massive and heavy...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    edited August 2010
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i want suggestions because im looking and looking and i need stuff put in front of me, today i have gone through this list:
    http://www.bikesutra.com/manatoi.html
    and am making an excel spreadsheet with frames on it

Ciocc Devilry

http://www.grupettoitalia.co.uk/docs/ciocc2010-range.pdf

Designed and made in Italy. My Extro is awesome - extremely rare and just got a very good review in Cycling plus.

Edit: Awesome overload :lol:
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You've probably got:

Wilier
    Bianchi
    Pinarello
    Kuota Kharma
    Ciocc

What about Fondriest?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • spasypaddy
    amnezia wrote:
    Thats not how it works.

You find a frame you love thats way over your budget and then convince yourself that you need it.

Wheres the fun in setting the budget beforehand :?
    because i have to save up. believe me the budget has already doubled from what i was initially looking at :lol:
  • spasypaddy wrote:

Is there *any* choice of frames that you could say are properly suitable for sportives and TTs?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If I ever have the money again (Ms DDD) I will be buying something distinctly not Spainish, French or Italian.

I'd probably go German, Storck, maybe.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • spasypaddy
    Greg66 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

Is there *any* choice of frames that you could say are properly suitable for sportives and TTs?
    well not really, but basically what im saying is i want light and stiff. and thats just the type of riding im planning on doing.
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

well not really, but basically what im saying is i want light and stiff. and thats just the type of riding im planning on doing.

Ok. Well, the brand may be becoming a bit ubiquitous, but if you can find Bike 1 in that colour scheme in your size, it will tick most of your other boxes.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • spasypaddy
    when you say Bike 1 do you mean that cervelo?
  • Something different you say? Check out www.phiancarbon.com (website is due an update)
    Beautiful products. Prices are good too, set to change the ones currently up. About to start offering complete bike builds!
    DM me for more info or a quote on a build up.
    Currently got a 2 time beijing gold medallist on them, triathlete at world championships, and a time triallist off to commonwealth games. Can't be bad!
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Something different you say? Check out www.phiancarbon.com (website is due an update)
    Beautiful products. Prices are good too, set to change the ones currently up. About to start offering complete bike builds!
    Currently got a 2 time beijing gold medallist on them, triathlete at world championships, and a time triallist off to commonwealth games. Can't be bad!

That looks nice!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Greg66 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:

The Kestrel Talon, although bastard ugly, has the ability to turn the seat post round and change the geometry between road and TT. It's bastard ugly though.
  • spasypaddy wrote:

It doesn't tick all of your boxes but I went Litespeed titanium and have never wanted to own anything more.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy wrote:

It doesn't tick all of your boxes but I went Litespeed titanium and have never wanted to own anything more.
    ti hasnt been ruled out yet but they all look the same, i havent ridden one yet but its on my list of things to do to get an idea of whether i want one or not.
    Something different you say? Check out www.phiancarbon.com (website is due an update)
    do they do custom colours? its alot less than i was expecting to spend and a little bit heavier than what i was expecting

Also, thanks everyone so far. lots of good suggestions.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    You say Carbon but would consider titanium... surely you should consider a custom made frame from a British craftsman, specially built to suit your particular needs from exotic high end steel...

Cheers,
    W.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Eddy Merckx EMX-5? They have a link-up with Pinarello for carbon fibre technology but the designs are their own.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • spasypaddy
    thanks WGW but i dont want steel and if i did the choices would be even harder as it would mean even more choice!

The Mercx added to the list
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    spasypaddy wrote:

rules are:
    different
    rare
    carbon
    awesome

Preferable:
    italian/European

First off, your budget: does the £2.5k have any flex in it? If the frame you decide you'd like is 2.5 now, it'll be more once the VAT increase kicks in, and I can't see manufacturers doing anything but putting prices up in the current economic climate...
    The obvious choice for me (as an owner and fan): Viner. All their frames from the Volata (rebadged 2009 spec Perfecta frame, £1650 at the moment) upwards are available with custom sizing at no extra charge. See Rob Spedding's enthusiastic test report on this here site. The new Perfecta is £2k, the current Mitus Plus is £2.5k. Find another £750 and the Maxima (custom tubing as well as sizing) is yours. Amnezia's older-spec Mitus is lovely. And this is the new-for-2011 Mitus 0.4.....

mitus.jpg
    Casati also do custom sizing in carbon, Cyfac do at extra cost, not sure about any others...
    Of other makes, if it was me, I'd be looking at Cyfac, Cervelo, Time and Storck. And probably still buy a Viner, I have to admit.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy
    casati, cyfac, time and storck are all currently on the list. i havent decided what i think of the viner yet (possibly a little bit too commonly seen)

cervelo wont be making the list
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cyfac. Mmmmm.

Is there anything really Italian anymore though?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    edited August 2010
    spasypaddy wrote:
    casati, cyfac, time and storck are all currently on the list. i havent decided what i think of the viner yet (possibly a little bit too commonly seen)

cervelo wont be making the list

Viners are relatively common round here, not least because we have a very enthusiastic dealer in the vicinity, they are now I think the biggest dealer in the country. That, and owners have a tendency to wax lyrical to all and sundry about how great the bikes are at any given opportunity (guilty as charged and proud of it, see also LiT and Chip \'oyler in particular). I wouldn't worry too much about being common- with custom fit and custom paint too if you want it, yours could be unique...

CJ: Yes. Everybody buys their carbon from the same far eastern guys of course, but Viner still make their bikes in Italy (all the steel ones, plus all but the lowest-end carbon model). A few other makers still do the same.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • st199ml
    st199ml Posts: 63
    Museeuw? http://www.museeuwbikes.be/

I never found spending that kind of cash tricky. I walked into Mosquito Bikes and bought the one I drooled over the most.

I have Ti and steel frames. Both built by US craftsmen (Moots and Indy Fab) who I can't recommend enough.

Enjoy the buying. It's a buzz.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    st199ml wrote:
    Museeuw? http://www.museeuwbikes.be/

I never found spending that kind of cash tricky. I walked into Mosquito Bikes and bought the one I drooled over the most.

I have Ti and steel frames. Both built by US craftsmen (Moots and Indy Fab) who I can't recommend enough.

Enjoy the buying. It's a buzz.

One of his bikes got a bad write-up in this month's C+ from a VFM stanpoint.

EDIT: which surprised me. They look nice, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spasypaddy
    cjcp wrote:
    Cyfac. Mmmmm.

Is there anything really Italian anymore though?
    casati mate, all handmade in italy. in my research today ive been attempting to find websites that dont translate into english as a good idea of how authentic they are :lol:

Stu - i know, i know. hence they havent been completely ruled out. just there is alot i think id pick before them at the moment

ST - the MF-5 is on the list
  • st199ml
    st199ml Posts: 63
    cjcp yeah I saw but I think the top of the range on spasypaddy's list is still loved.

Also most of Cyclefit's brands (Glider, Guru Colnago) are European, expensive and rare. A custom Colnago must be pretty exclusive even if the brand ain't.

I like this game.