commute distance and getting clean!

2»

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I'm in Hall Green and the job is Droitwich! The route takes me over towards Longbridge/Rednal/Lickeys/Bromsgrove and then into Droitwich. When I first considered it I thought no way, but it's not as far as it sounds. This is pretty much a straight line on the map; I doubt I could cut much out of it.
    It's only going to be 3 shifts per week so I'll definitely try and do it once (I'll be riding to college as well but that's about 2 miles away!), have thought about the food and fuelling issue and at the moment am not sure on what's best to do with it - even if I eat before I go I'll be ravenous by the time I get there.
    It's only a sit down answer-the-phone type job, completely unstimulating which is another reason for riding.
    I'm not overly enthralled by the job as you can probably tell but am reluctant to refuse it as am not having any luck elsewhere!

If its the route im thinking theyre will be quite a few unlit roads so good lights are a must

With the food i have a stash of granola, pasta and rice at work although where i work there is also a constant supply of fruit and also stuff for sandwhiches etc. Maybe if your only doing 3 shifts a week one of those could be a clothes changeover day and maybe get the train most of the way

definitely worth doing a few reccie's as there are some hard hills going into bromsgrove that way, and coming out of bromsgrove its a very long gradual ascent to get back to the lickeys. I think this is something you need to factor in whether you can ride it or not aswell. I do the ride for leisure at times but not sure after a days work id fancy all the climbing (however its worth it when you can fly down the hill at the lickeys :) )
  • Don.
    Don. Posts: 43
    I was considering joining a gym near my work just so I could shower before work.
  • With regards to fuelling that is something I struggled with for a good couple of months. I've now settled on porridge before I leave, I drink 500ml of something like SIS GO during my ride and then have a good glass of skimmed milk as soon as I arrive at work. That certainly keeps me going to mid morning with no hunger cravings and my legs are always good for the ride home.

All that being said I live in Essex which is fairly flat, my route takes me from sea level to over the highest point in the county but its certainly nothing major.
  • Not an exact answer to your question but something to think about. I received a knee injury thanks to an idiot in a car and had to stop commuting. But my weight has increased at an alarming rate so i had to get back to commuting. My commute is about 45 miles return, flat in the middle but very hilly near the ends. Even when fit this was just too much 5 days a week until i came across the pedelec bikes. Now 90% of electric bikes are junk but the model which stood out for me was the Trek Fx +, as it is a decent commuter and with the extra help a long commute becomes possible. So YOU control the amount of work you do, on the way home you can basically turn off the assist as you are not interested in the sweat etc. But on the way in you arrive sweat free and get some gentle exercise. Again because of the assist its much easier to commute throughout the winter, whereas on my ordinary bike i would use the car in the depths of winter. They might seem expensive but if you can stop using the car, job done will pay for itself in a year.
  • Thanks everyone who has posted, some good advice here and things to take on board.
    However...the bloody job has fallen through! Reason being I need to work around a college course, I went back to them telling them my availablilty and they seem to have fallen off the edge of the planet. No calls, no response to emails, nothing. So I'm guessing they don't want me which I am not exactly that upset about to be honest (the job sounded a load of sh*te).
    However....another interview tomorrow which is merely 12 miles! A positive walk in the park :) Or I can get the train from my local station so all's good - keep your fingers crossed!