commute distance and getting clean!

missgroover
missgroover Posts: 263
edited August 2010 in Commuting general
I've been offered a job about 20 miles away from where I live, it's low paid and I am considering commuting to keep petrol costs down. Just wondering what sort of distances people do and how they go about making themselves presentable when they get to work - in the abscence of showers this is!
Thanks

Comments

• fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I recently managed to go to a job interview by bike, where I got changed into a suit in the gents.
    I would suggest you carry wet wipes and spray deodorant, plus a towel, all help in the absence of a shower. Your hair style might also have an impact on whether your hair will look OK just using a towel.
    From my experience, good cycling clothing allows you to sweat without smelling bad, and the sweat that smells is only found in a few areas such as armpits. A spray deodorant will do the trick.
    I have a shower facility at work and seldom use it.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    20 miles each way is a very long way for a regular there-and-back commute. Even if you're very fit it's a big deal. Most people with commutes this long don't do it every day, but it sounds like this might not be an option for you. If you can maybe drive twice a week and cycle Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (with weather etc. obviously altering your plans accordingly!) then that might be the most realistic.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'd certainly leave / take a full change of clothing. Try and take the last 10-15 minutes or so easy to cool-down a little, otherwise you'll be sweating long after you sit down at your desk. Agreed regarding wet /baby wipes - as good as a shower at a stretch. I generally leave a towel, trousers and shoes at work and bring in a fresh shirt / undies daily. Your choice of suitable bike clothing can also have a big bearing on how you feel when you get to work - 20 miles in the rain wearing a 'boil in the bag' waterproof doesn't really get me in the mood for anything!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    They'll be plenty of people here to tell you that 20 miles each way is doable and in summer they'll be right. In the winter when it's cold and dark it's a different matter, can you keep your enthusiasm levels up?

I've built myself up to 150 (bumpy) commuting miles per week this summer and at one point considered ditching the car. Realistically I find that mileage week in week out tiring and because I've got a car allow myself a luxury shortened commute every so often.

Personally I'm loving the challenge but I accept my limitations / don't want it to be such a slog it becomes a chore.
  • Hi all thanks for your comments. I'm going to do a recce at the weekend on the bike first as it does take me over the Lickeys which means it will be a pretty hilly route. I am reasonably fit, usually mtb rather than road but agree it may be too much every day. I may do it just once for the first couple of weeks (on dress down day if they have one!) and see how I feel afterwards. I was hoping to get a more local job but with the economic situation as it is I can't really afford to turn this one down - it's the only interview I have had!
    If nothing else it will prepare my legs for mountain mayhem next year :)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hi MG, if you 'glow' rather heavily (as I do) you might find merino tops very useful. They don't have a smell so you could air them in close quarters quite happily and you won't need to wash them every day. Compared to 'regular' cycling tops they can be pricey but well worth it.

/not a member of any merino appreciation soceity, just a satisfied sweaty user/ :)
  • Good advice, thanks for that! Yes I am a bit of a glower... :?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I personally couldn't, that sort of distance asks for a good pace IMO and that = sweat and dirt!

For example its moist in London today and after 17 miles my shins were covered in grit and dirt, I wouldn't want to wet wipe that away every day & it'll only get worse.

If you do go for it, merino is the answer but expensive.
  • I'll vouch for merino tops....I've been known to use the same one everyday for a week and dry it out under my desk....does not smell one little bit :) I now own 2 of the same top just cos I love em so much :lol:
    at that distance I'd definitely invest in the right gear, it'll be worth it for sure.
    good luck!
  • I'm not sure what your route would be like, but that's do-able, though agree with the comments about keeping motivation going through the winter months.

I was lucky enough to have a ride from Edinburgh out to Livingston, 19 miles each way. In the summer it was a joy when I switched to the road bike, and managed full 5 day weeks on a few occasions, but was mainly 2 or 3 days per week. Got me super fit for the summer hol to the alps.

Started back in cold feb/march time on a hybrid with rack, mudguards and pannier, and it took a while to get used to it. Not nice in the dark (or in the snow), but covered the bike in reflective stickers, and dressed brightly and bought good gloves, and used the pannier to avoid back sweat from rucksack.

I figured it'd save about a tenner a day from saved fuel and car-wear and tear, which might be way off and a bit optomistic, but was a real motivator to avoid the car in the morning. Managed to get the time down to under an hour recently, which isn't that far off the time I'd be in the car.

I kept lock/ trousers/ towel/ shoes etc at work, and I'd shower before leaving home (felt fresher that way). Invest in good merino clothes to avoid smell, and wash yourself in the sink at work.

Good luck!
  • thebig25
    thebig25 Posts: 46
    I do a 30 mile round trip 3 times a week (I need to go to another office 60 miles away on the other 2 days). The route is a bit of a mixture- some urban, some open road, some country lanes. I try to go at a good pace (for me!) on the way in and give it the beans on the way home!

I've found that even on a good weather day, when I take it easy, I still get too smelly and dirty to use the wet wipes and deodorant effectively. I've tried it and it made me feel uneasy when dealing with clients throughout the day.

I'm fortunate that the company I'm now contracting with has a very active cycling community, and encourages that by providing showers and lockers. I take enough suits, shirts and kecks etc. to last me a week on one of my driving days and bring them home when they've all been worn.

I'd echo the advice of some of the others above. With the mileage you're considering you need to consider your cycling clothing carefully. When I started commuting I wore regular sports wear with padded undies and flat pedals. This was ok, but could get uncomfortable towards the end of the commute due to things riding up and getting soaked with sweat. I've since moved on to clothing designed specifically for cycling and SPD's (I still wear cycling baggies over padded shorts- no one wants to see my fat ar$e!) and it's so much more comfortable and efficient. It need not be expensive, but ideally it should be designed for cycling.

HTH
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Another option if your place of work (or home) is near a train station is to ride to the station then get the train part way so it's less mileage.

Not sure if it would fit in with your main objective of saving money.

I do 8 miles each way and I find it tiring and tedious at times. If I've got the enthuiasm I'll go the long way (20+ miles, sometimes a lap of Llandegla forest) in the morning or on the way home but rarely both.
  • Thanks guys - all good ponits, I guess the bottom line is suck it and see! As I ride anyway I have a huge kit bag of cycling stuff but I'll definately look into the merino wear. They had a stand sat at sits the other week but at the time I didn't consider buying as they are a bit pricey as mentioed above.

One other issue and sorry if I am going on but those of you that commute regularly - do you have any sort of insurance, in case of an accident? I'm thinking either driver that buggers off an leaves you after wrecking your kit/bike or driver/other cyclist/pedestrian/whoever that stays after a bump but denies all responsibility and could poss end up in court. I realise these type of events are few and far between but having been held 'to ransom' by an enraged cyclist myself a few years ago (NOT may fault I hasten to add) if it's going to happen, it will happen to me...
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    If cleanliness is paramount, then I'd seriously consider investing in a set of panniers: a bag on your back (no matter which sort or how fancy the straps, etc) will result in a horribly sweaty back, and with it, clothing.

Clothing you can "disassemble" is also mightily handy. Jersey + warm warmers, shorts + knee warmers etc, etc. At least then, the moment you feel yourself getting a bit warm, you can take them off.
  • I do 20 - 22 miles each way, 5 days a week. 15 Flat miles and 5 - 7 very hilly ones.
    It is a challenge in the winter or in poor weather.

Top tips:

1. build up to it. Try 1 or 2 x / week at first, then 3x then 4x then 5x.
    2. don't be afraid to have a day off
    3. try and arrange a backup plan. Either public transport or a neighbour travelling close to your workplace.
    4. It helps if you can vary the route and use back roads from time to time
    5. find somewhere to store kit at work. Bring it in bulk rather than every day. I bring 20 (ish) shirts and underwear etc then slowly use it up and bring it home.
    6. Travel towels dry quickly and don't smell. Normal towels won't dry at work and will smell. Travel ones are less than £10
    7. more than 1 bike. You will be racking up significant mileage and it is very helpful to have a second option in the shed. At least 1 should have full 'guards for wet weather.
    8. Keep a big lock at work. Don't carry it!
    9. Carry the minimum possible. Tools, credit card, a little cash, mini pump, tube and a phone.
    10. eat well and regularly throughout the day.
    11. Lycra is a must for 40 miles a day. Use layers in cool weather and Buffalo for winter
    12. Wiggle do some great DHB winter tights
    13. Good quality lights. p7 from Dealextreme is a must. If possible, have backup lights as well.
    14. Consider FG/SS for your hack / winter bike.Much easier to maintain over winter and cheaper on parts
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avoiding a backpack will be crucial, your back (and top) get so sweaty its unmentionable, I used to use one and feel so much better using rack and panniers, I would end up putting a still damp top on at the end of the day to go home!

I avoid carrying anything I don't have to to keep weight down (I even leave the teaspoon for my packed lunch yoghurts at work), so leaving locks at work for example, I have an expensive howies lightweight waterproof, its not to boil in the bag and is super lightweight.

I drive once a week to carry in fresh clothes, take back the dirties, I don't use cycling tops at all, but bright coloured technical base layer as the outer for 9 months of the year (soft shell over teh top if its below about 5C), can be had for a tenner each and that works well for me, I also use a good quality pair of baggy shorts (or past the knees in winter) over normal underpants to speed up change times.

Another option is to look at driving half way and cycling the rest, with a rear mounted carrier for convenaince, you'll still get half the petrol savings and the journey time will be shorter.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I do 20 - 22 miles each way, 5 days a week. 15 Flat miles and 5 - 7 very hilly ones.
    It is a challenge in the winter or in poor weather.

Top tips:

1. build up to it. Try 1 or 2 x / week at first, then 3x then 4x then 5x.
    2. don't be afraid to have a day off
    3. try and arrange a backup plan. Either public transport or a neighbour travelling close to your workplace.
    4. It helps if you can vary the route and use back roads from time to time
    5. find somewhere to store kit at work. Bring it in bulk rather than every day. I bring 20 (ish) shirts and underwear etc then slowly use it up and bring it home.
    6. Travel towels dry quickly and don't smell. Normal towels won't dry at work and will smell. Travel ones are less than £10
    7. more than 1 bike. You will be racking up significant mileage and it is very helpful to have a second option in the shed. At least 1 should have full 'guards for wet weather.
    8. Keep a big lock at work. Don't carry it!
    9. Carry the minimum possible. Tools, credit card, a little cash, mini pump, tube and a phone.
    10. eat well and regularly throughout the day.
    11. Lycra is a must for 40 miles a day. Use layers in cool weather and Buffalo for winter
    12. Wiggle do some great DHB winter tights
    13. Good quality lights. p7 from Dealextreme is a must. If possible, have backup lights as well.
    14. Consider FG/SS for your hack / winter bike.Much easier to maintain over winter and cheaper on parts

Great tips, thanks
  • I'm lucky in that I have a shower at work. (Alas today I had to wait 20 minutes for it as some layabout was having a dump in the shower room).

My commute is about 7 miles each way.

1. Full mudguards are a must for not only keeping you free of spray but also keeping it from your bike. Rain is one thing but gritty, muddy road spray is another.

2. I take my towel with me on a Monday and leave it in work till Friday when I take it home for a wash. Sometimes I get lucky and one of the girls washes it for me as they need to test fabrics. (I work for a clothing manufacturer)

3. I'd say panniers are required for a 20 mile commute. I use a ruck sack for my 7 miler but anything over 10 miles I would invest in panniers as my back does get sweaty.

4. If you know you only need to lock your bike up at work then leave a lock there.

5. Try and plan your clothing ahead so you can leave stuff at work. Toilettries etc.

6. Right clothing. I wear padded baggy cycling shorts at the moment and a base layer + windproof / breathable / waterproof top if I need it. Needles to say a helmet and good lights. Keep tools, pump etc on the bike so you know you always have them.

7. Even if you have no shower facilities it helps if you can hang up your sweaty gear somewhere so that it's at least dry when you are ready to go home. Ask work if they can supply a small washing maiden in a ventilated room. I find this really helps strangely!
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    +1 for most of what ExPat says. Aside from the SS/FG thing. Much better idea for winter IMO is an old school 5-7 speed bike. Parts cost next to nothing, nothing much to go wrong anyway and they don't wear out. And they can go up hills!

At the moment I am doing about 40-60 hilly miles a day. It can be quite tough. A gradual build up is essential.

Panniers are definitely not essential - I manage with an airback rucksack and carry my shopping home in it! As long as the weight isn't too much, I forget its there and by having the weight on my back, the handling of the bike isn't spoiled. I'd say panniers are only essential for heavy weights and long distances.

PS to Expat - update your stats :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • What kind of size is your rucksack though? Generally when I ride I use a camelback but I wouildn't get a change of decent clothes in there. As I'll be expected to wear smart/office type clothes I need them to be as rumple free as possible when I get to the other end. Plus I'm only small so a big rucksack could put me off balance - though would be something soft to land on should the need arise I suppose!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Ask work if they can supply a small washing maiden in a ventilated room. I find this really helps strangely!

Nothing strange at all......without ventilation, the small washing maiden would suffocate.....
    I guess the smaller she is, the longer she will survive....

IGMC!

Seriously though, plus one to travel towel. I got one for about £6 from decathlon, which comes in a pouch which can be used as a flannel. Quick stand up wipe down in (preferably disabled - more space) loos if no showers*. Don't forget, it's only stale sweat that smells bad, so if you are wiping down and deoderising just after the journey, you'll be fine..BUT...you need to build in some cool down time. otherwise, you continue to sweat after the wipe down. With a twenty mile hilly journey, which will be quite time consuming anyway, I perceive that finding this extra cool down time will be a big challenge!!

* If you do this, please make sure you lock the door properly, otherwise you will scare the hell out of some unsuspecting person...allegedly :oops:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I wouldn't trust anyone called PBO on matters of personal hygiene :)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    biondino wrote:
    I wouldn't trust anyone called PBO on matters of personal hygiene :)

the "p" stands for pleasant.... :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What kind of size is your rucksack though? Generally when I ride I use a camelback but I wouildn't get a change of decent clothes in there. As I'll be expected to wear smart/office type clothes I need them to be as rumple free as possible when I get to the other end. Plus I'm only small so a big rucksack could put me off balance - though would be something soft to land on should the need arise I suppose!

Mine is 35 litres. I wear smart trousers, shirt and tie for work so try to be reasonably rumple free - I roll my shirts and trousers up and, generally, the rucksack is otherwise empty on the way in to work so they aren't stuffed in. Might be different if I had to wear a suit though that would be mostly kept at work.

I don't think the physical size of the rucksack would be an issue though - it's down to the relative weight of you and the loaded rucksack; 25 -35 litre should be fine I'd have thought. After a point, a pannier would be better. Otherwise, the only bother I tend to have is on steep descents when the rucksack is empty - it tends to slip forward a little - but it doesn't go anywhere as I use a chest strap as well.
    PBo wrote:
    BUT...you need to build in some cool down time. otherwise, you continue to sweat after the wipe down. With a twenty mile hilly journey, which will be quite time consuming anyway, I perceive that finding this extra cool down time will be a big challenge!!
    Once your body has been trained properly, this shouldn't matter. I do 20 hilly miles in the morning and often have hardly broken a sweat. Depends where your hills are though - if you work in the cafe at the top of Honister Pass, you probably will need a bit of extra cool down time :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's a very personal thing, I get sweaty swimming.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Congratulations on the job offer!

Some very good advice here! Referring back to your original post of wanting to commute to save petrol money, it's fair to assume you therefore have access to a car. In my experience you can commute 20 miles each way, 5 days a week but your life will be so much easier if you take the car 1 day a week purely to take in clean clothes/towel and take your washing home. This would almost alleviate any need for panniers or rucksack.

My commute is 16.5 miles each way and I do this 3-4 times per week but am hoping to make it 4 times a week without fail even through the winter (tough with a car sitting on the drive). I have 1 bag at work which I change over each week and keep stocked with everything I need for the next week and I have another which has 2 days worth of clothes in case it's needed.

As other people have stated you can avoid the need for a shower by using the right clothing, allowing yourself to cooldown before changing and wet wipes. What did we ever do before wet wipes?

Good luck in the new job & with the commute! Be sure to let us know how you get on :D
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    OP where is your actual route from? you say going through the lickeys so i presume your going into bromsgrove or away from it (could be wrong but still)

I commute around 20 miles in the mornings but i also have a 4 mile route if im really tired, are theyre any shorter routes or part train part riding option

also depends on what sort of job it is whether its physical or mentally draining or both, this can effect your ability to ride home 20 miles.

Also it would be an idea to get a load of food at work as if you dont fuel properly you will really struggle on the ride home
  • I'm in Hall Green and the job is Droitwich! The route takes me over towards Longbridge/Rednal/Lickeys/Bromsgrove and then into Droitwich. When I first considered it I thought no way, but it's not as far as it sounds. This is pretty much a straight line on the map; I doubt I could cut much out of it.
    It's only going to be 3 shifts per week so I'll definately try and do it once (I'll be riding to college as well but that's about 2 miles away!), have thought about the food and fuelling issue and at the moment am not sure on what's best to do with it - even if I eat before I go I'll be ravenous by the time I get there.
    It's only a sit down answer-the-phone type job, completely unstimulating which is another reason for riding.
    I'm not overly enthralled by the job as you can probably tell but am reluctant to refuse it as am not having any luck elsewhere!
  • Here's a tip - I put a couple of sheets of "Bounce" spin-dryer sheets in my courier bag and clothes arrive at the office fresh and pleasantly aromatic - something about the heat off my back activating the pleasant molecules!!!!
    Would get down on the drops more if the gut wasn't in the way!
  • Now that is a good idea - one which would never have occured to me. Thanks!
    Maybe you should patent it? :wink: