Mr Blair's Donation

verylonglegs
verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
edited September 2010 in The bottom bracket
So is his donation to the Legion the cost of his guilt?

Comments

• Blair must be arrested

A crawling sycophant in a position of power who is out for his own gain and cares nothing of the innocent blood on his hands - by his actions and the actions of his cronies.

guilt? I doubt he knows the meaning of the word, such is his brainwashing/indoctrination into the nefarious shady world of overt/covert politics, and the sickening people who believe and see themselves as having 'blood' rights, to be in the positions of 'power' that they are.

all that is wrong with the world can be seen hiding in broad daylight.

evil.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    of what?

Damned if he does damned if he doesnt...............

The British Legion are happy and will do lots and lots of superb work with the cash.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    davelakers wrote:
    of what?

Damned if he does damned if he doesnt...............

The British Legion are happy and will do lots and lots of superb work with the cash.

I did think of the 'he can't win' argument but he could have given anonymously possibly?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    It reminds me of the type of very wealthy students who book a venue for a "club dinner", smash the place up, vomit on the carpets, abuse the staff and then try to "settle the matter" by writing a large cheque.

As if that is going to make everything ok? :roll:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    He`s clever or at least his publisher is....loads of tv and internet publicity absolutely free !
    What would that have cost ?
    Sorted. 8)
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    the man has blood on his hands , took us to war on the basis of a lie , our troops had no choice in the matter , but why did he make a song and dance about giving the money , a salve to his sleepless nights perhaps . just hope the money helps some of the broken lives that are his fault . why why why . ?
  • pneumatic wrote:
    It reminds me of the type of very wealthy students who book a venue for a "club dinner", smash the place up, vomit on the carpets, abuse the staff and then try to "settle the matter" by writing a large cheque.

As if that is going to make everything ok? :roll:

A great analogy.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Errr .............. what ever one thinks of Blair all proceeds of his book are allegedly going to our troops. People could of course instead not buy his book and just donate the amount they would have spent on it to the fund? Or are people basically twisted hypocrits?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna - no, Blair is the twisted hypocrite - I am just an 'average joe' getting by the best I can.

Yes, I can be a hypocrite like anyone can be about anything , I'm sure everyone see's everyone else as a hypocrite in some regards - such is life

The difference is I don't have human blood on my hands, or serve as part of an agenda that basically hoodwinks good innocent people, whilst getting away with sickening acts of human created devastation, nor do I wish to be part of this and opt out of any of it at any given opportunity which is my right to.

Blair is all about media spin - and laughing in your face as he does it - the guy speaks from an autocue! he is as fake as it comes and serves an agenda that doesnt give a fook if YOU are alive or dead. To him you simply do not exist, you are a part of an en masse that can be sheep herded to believe or not believe in whatever tactic serves as the en vogue brainwashing tactic at that moment, to be utilised to create a 'rosy glow' vision that all is well.

Blair is a 'product' like brand 'Obama' is.
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Blair starts an unnecessary war.
    Blair sends troops to battle unnecessarily.
    Troops get injured (or worse).
    Blair gives money to injured troops.

Would have been so much simpler if he just hadn't started the whole thing.
    He was told there was no WMD and there were no WMD found.
    Waste of time, money and more importantly, lives.

Blood money for his conscience pure and simple.

In his world it really is all about me, me, me.

That is his "legacy".
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I've never liked him.

Nothing he could do would make me change my mind, no matter how good it may be in reality.

I'd like to have a proper chat with him and ask him what he was really thinking when he decided to take the country to war on the flimsiest of sexed-up evidence. He would probably just spout that Iraq is now a better place and that's therefore a good reason. But, it wasn't the reason he presented at the time and it wasn't the reason the other MPs voted for the war. They voted because WMDs were apparently within 45 mins of attacking British soil.

In Baghdad, male unemployment is 60% [according to the BBC news this morning]. 44 people were killed by a bomb while queueing for jobs yesterday. The Americans are pulling out and the Iraqi military is unable to protect the country from Al Qaeda. There is insufficient organisation to have regular or reliable electricity. There isn't even a proper Govt, despite elections 4 months ago. In 10 years there will be civil war in Iraq, despite having enough oil to be a very rich and stable place.

Come on then Tony, tell us why we went to war. To make the lives of Iraqis better? To protect us from non-existent WMDs. To boost your profile in the USA?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    In fairness, this kind of donation is unprecedented.

He could have very easily pocketed the money.
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    I wonder who would want to read his self-justification? By far the best judgement would be to see the majority of copies going for £2.99 in The Works or back to the recyclers.
  • So he's guilty before the Chilcott enquiry has even finished taking evidence hey ?
  • GiantMike
    I hope the books raises tens of millions to help the treatment of those who came back from Iraq with life-changing injuries.

I hope Blair has cleared his troubled conscience. Or maybe the sanctimonious liar is still convincing himself that he did the right thing. Himself and God that is.

Let God be my judge.. Er, no actually let me be your judge. You're a self-promoting liar.
  • GiantMike
    So he's guilty before the Chilcott enquiry has even finished taking evidence hey ?

Guilty of what?
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    Warmongering. Deceit. Crimes against humanity.

...and just being Tony Blair is enough in my eyes... The sight of him smarming via his website on Lie News yesterday made me want to smash my TV. It was so hard to resist...
  • GiantMike
    My point is the Inqiury was not set up to determine guilt, but to ascertain the facts.

Blair is far too clever to get caught out. He's surrounded by very clever people who can make sure he doesn't do anything incriminating, and he's too clever to make sure he doesn't say anything that could lead to any subsequent action.

This is why he needed the sexed-up dosier, to give the impression he was acting on outside pressure (despite the UN weapon inspectors asking for more time to find the WMDs).

This is why the UK and US didn't go to the UN to get another resolution, because they wouldn't have got one, which would have undermined their case for war. Why would Colin Powell stand up in the UN with a presentation about mobile WMD plants and the WMD threat, and then not try to get a resolution to deal with the threat? Why did Tony, good old God-fearing Tony, allow this to happen and support the weak case?

Blair's far too political to fall for any stupidity. But if you look into his eyes, so can see a liar. Manipulative, devious, liar.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360

Probably wishing he had now.
  • louthepoo
    louthepoo Posts: 223
    its interesting watching brand cameron and turncoat at work, if we weren't in a war already i'm sure we'd be in one now. I'm not buying Blairs book but hope it raises loads of money for the legion.
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Can't wait to read his book.

I like the fella thought he was an excellent prime minister.
  • rick_chasey
    jim453 wrote:

I'm not so sure.

I think it is possible that he can think it was the right thing to do, but still feel deep sympathy for the soldiers who have to do it.

Might not necessarily be the case.

I think, whatever he has done or thinks, he has a genuine deep respect for those in the forces.
  • jim453
    jim453 wrote:

I'm not so sure.

I think it is possible that he can think it was the right thing to do, but still feel deep sympathy for the soldiers who have to do it.

Might not necessarily be the case.

I think, whatever he has done or thinks, he has a genuine deep respect for those in the forces.

I think you're probably right.

Anyway, whatever he decided to do there would some foaming at the mouth crazy nut job who would hate him even more for it. I don't mean you onefootedninja. You come across like a perfectly level headed individual who is not paranoid at all.

I'm not even a fan of Blair to be honest.

Maybe he thinks it's the right thing to do. It is an awful lot of money.
  • He's so kind and charitable ain't he?

All he's got to fall back on apart from his not insubstantial PM's pension is the £15m-£20m he's currently earned from the lecture circuit. He gets paid around £400,000 per hour, or to break it down a little, about £6,000 a minute per speaking engagement!

He's not being kind and charitable, it's good ol' fashioned Catholic guilt and fear of how history will remember him.

(By the way, i'm a lifelong Labour voter)
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • jim453
    Ok,

He's wealthy, as most former PM's are.

What would you have him do?
  • rick_chasey
    He's so kind and charitable ain't he?

All he's got to fall back on apart from his not insubstantial PM's pension is the £15m-£20m he's currently earned from the lecture circuit. He gets paid around £400,000 per hour, or to break it down a little, about £6,000 a minute per speaking engagement!

He's not being kind and charitable, it's good ol' fashioned Catholic guilt and fear of how history will remember him.

(By the way, i'm a lifelong Labour voter)

Either way, it's better than no donation, surely?

People seem to be twisting the logic somehow by convincing themselves that a multi-million donation to charity is somehow a bad thing because Blair has done it.
  • I completely agree that it's better than no donation. After all, it's the very least he could do given the circumstances. Most wars begin with unfounded evidence and a body of lies and the whole Iraq,Afghanistan, Kuwait campaign(s) are no different.

What really twists my melon is that he appears to me to have run away from this mess (along with Bush and his assorted cronies) just when things have turned into an even uglier, dirty campaign of which he appears to have admonished all responsibility with regards to how to "successfully" complete what he started (Kuwait excepted).

And his donation of profits from this book does in no way paper over his crimes.

By the way, did he donate the large advance he apparently received for this book to any charity?
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • GiantMike
    So we're all agreed then:

1. Donation - good, Blair - bad
    2. War - bad, life changing injuries - bad, death - bad
    3. Iraq's current state - bad
    4. Cherie - ugly
  • jim453
    I completely agree that it's better than no donation. After all, it's the very least he could do given the circumstances. Most wars begin with unfounded evidence and a body of lies and the whole Iraq,Afghanistan, Kuwait campaign(s) are no different.

What really twists my melon is that he appears to me to have run away from this mess (along with Bush and his assorted cronies) just when things have turned into an even uglier, dirty campaign of which he appears to have admonished all responsibility with regards to how to "successfully" complete what he started (Kuwait excepted).

And his donation of profits from this book does in no way paper over his crimes.

By the way, did he donate the large advance he apparently received for this book to any charity?

Apparently the whole advance and all the proceeds going to the British Legion.

Point taken about him seeming to not only walk away untarnished but be given the slightly dubious position of 'peace' envoy to the middle east.

This is a problem with politics I think, not necessarily Blair. We elected him (a few times) to make the decisions and judgement calls. He made them (not the ones I would have made but that has nothing to do with it).

Oh, forget it. It's boring anyway. I'm supposed to be cleaning the bathroom.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    GiantMike wrote:
    So we're all agreed then:

1. Donation - good, Blair - bad
    2. War - bad, life changing injuries - bad, death - bad
    3. Iraq's current state - bad
    4. Cherie - ugly

Sounds about right!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.