Painful calf muscles...

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
Anyone ever get it?

You go for a ride, they're fine, perhaps the next day they're fine, and when you are almost feeling recovered, your calfs suddenly feel painful.

When I tense them up, or put my foot flat to the floor, and bend my knee forward, so that it stretches them, they hurt, prodding them, it hurts, feels like they've had a few rounds with a baseball bat.

I'm not off to the doctor because apart from the pain, it's not inconvenience and goes away after abit, but I am interested to know if anyone knows what it is or if they have the same experience sometimes.

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I had that the other day, very painful walking and massaging them, but fine out on the bike. I put mine down to DOMS from spending a day walking around a theme park after a hard 50 mile race the day before.

It went after a hard 2 hour tempo ride, some massage, and some protein recovery drink.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    So it would seem that I could be doing too much, thing is it was not a ride that was abnormal for me, was 120 miles rolling, only one steep hill.

I've had a day totally off the bike, despite having this pain, which does not really effect me on the bike, would it be safe to ride today?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I rode with mine being painful, like I say it was only painful when walking, if it is DOMS then it will be fine, if it is an injury then no. Only you can judge that, I was pretty certain mine wasn't an injury so I carried on training.

It might not being down to doing too much, might be just one of those things. Massage it and make sure you eat/drink enough protein to help the muscle repair themselves.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    SBezza wrote:
    I rode with mine being painful, like I say it was only painful when walking, if it is DOMS then it will be fine, if it is an injury then no. Only you can judge that, I was pretty certain mine wasn't an injury so I carried on training.

It might not being down to doing too much, might be just one of those things. Massage it and make sure you eat/drink enough protein to help the muscle repair themselves.

Spot on this