Turtling and keeping your knees in

willbevan
willbevan Posts: 1,241
hi all,

thinking ahead for this winter (and maybe a TT in september) aboutt he concept of keeping your knees in as you pedal as close to the top tube as possible, and also turtling to make your front section as small as possible.

Anyone seen any articles on these? or can offer an advice.

Not sure really how to turtle (sounds stupid), but wondered what peoples experience was with this/how it affects there breathing.

Same with the legs really, as dont want to hurt the knees!

Cheers

Will
Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
MTB - Trek Fuel 80
TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Pedal however it feels natural. It will be better aerodynamically to have your knees in closer to the TT, but if it hurts then it's no good.

I'm lucky in that my natural pedalling style has my knees almost clipping the top tube (on occasion I will whack the frame with a knee and get a bit sweary).
  • whyamihere wrote:
    Pedal however it feels natural. It will be better aerodynamically to have your knees in closer to the TT, but if it hurts then it's no good.

I'm lucky in that my natural pedalling style has my knees almost clipping the top tube (on occasion I will whack the frame with a knee and get a bit sweary).

+1 Pedalling at an unnatural angle will result in more harm than good. If you walk with your feet pointing out the way and your cleat positioning mimicks this then your knees are going to be angled away from the frame (and obviously vice versa).

If your feet position is neutral ,you could try moving the cleats towards the outside edge of the shoe (rather than backwards or forwards) to bring your whole legs closer to the top tube. If it's comfy you may find it helps deliver what you are after.

I have tried this but it gives me hot foot syndrome whereas moving my cleat in towards the pedal, and therefore my foot away from it, relieves it.. Moving the cleat back and forwards for the perfect position always results in hot foot for me (left side only) unless I also do this push to the inside..

Try it and see, if it's uncomfy forget about it.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    will try moving the cleats, gradually over time to see if I get any issues!

many thanks
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/