Who Here Is A MAMIL?

2»

Comments

• I love the fact that a fashionable term applied to people who are similar minded to most of us here has caused such offence and leads people to come up with all sorts of defensive answers.
    Why not just say what kids would say - "woteva".
    Most of us have been cycling for many years and slowly got more and more involved.
    I say fair play to guys who have suddenly had the revelation that a decent bike is far more than the crap bike they used to ride on many years earlier - it took me more than ten years of daily riding to work on cheap, crap bikes before I bought my first "quality" bike - a Specialized Sirrus Sport.
    If only someone had shown me what I was missing 10 or 20 years ago, I would have been very happy.
    So stop worrying about being labelled.

Here endeth the lecture, brothers.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    According to my wife, I am a MAMIL.....35, drink a bit too much and have not bothered with physique for a couple of years!

Used to look pretty good in lycra....as far as you can. Now look like a bin bag full of yoghurt.
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Middle aged men who's first bike shorts were woollen and had a real leather patch... That's fine.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    hmm, always try and wear baggies and i ride MTBs and an old steel FG that MAMILs would probably turn their noses up at, so i think i'm safe-ish. plus I'm only 32.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You folks are OLD!

Sheesh, my Parents are 48!
    No - it can't be... DDD - I'm 48; I am your father. Oh son. Where have you been? Last thing I remember was falling into a river of burning coals and then some bloke fitting me with a mask that made my asthma sound a million times worse. May the farce be with you my son.

I'm 48; all of that article sounds true to life. And spending a few grand on soemthing like this that gives us the fizz and the smug-factor 20 when we arrive at work is probably a much better bet than the alternative, buying a Harley or a Porsche for a whole lot more from the mortgage overpayments fund, or taking up with a prettyyoungblondegfwithhugebosoms to parade around the squash club after the weekly match against Clive from Accounts. Probably.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    CiB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You folks are OLD!

Sheesh, my Parents are 48!
    No - it can't be... DDD - I'm 48; I am your father. Oh son. Where have you been? Last thing I remember was falling into a river of burning coals and then some bloke fitting me with a mask that made my asthma sound a million times worse. May the farce be with you my son.

I'm 48; all of that article sounds true to life. And spending a few grand on soemthing like this that gives us the fizz and the smug-factor 20 when we arrive at work is probably a much better bet than the alternative, buying a Harley or a Porsche for a whole lot more from the mortgage overpayments fund, or taking up with a prettyyoungblondegfwithhugebosoms to parade around the squash club after the weekly match against Clive from Accounts. Probably.

Is Clive from accounts any good, not played him yet.....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Is Clive from accounts any good, not played him yet.....
    I've played him 42 times this year, and 48 last. We usually end 2-2 with not enough time to finish the fifth. Maybe we know each other's game too well now...

Just off to talk to theniceyoungblondeinsaleswhohasanimpressivechestandjustfelloutwithherlastbfwellyouneverknow<polishesmedallioncombschesthair>
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    gtvlusso wrote:
    According to my wife, I am a MAMIL.....35, drink a bit too much and have not bothered with physique for a couple of years!

Well, I was going to say not for a few years yet, but your only a year or so ahead of me. Ho-hum.
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Used to look pretty good in lycra....as far as you can. Now look like a bin bag full of yoghurt.

:lol: Simile noted for future use.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    It's my birthday today (42, mentioned elsewhere) and one of the gifts from my wife was a new pair of dhb tights (Pace Roubaix, if you're interested). She doesn't like seeing me in them though; makes her laugh, and she calls them my "wrestler's outfit." :( Maybe I should get a mask to go with 'em.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Happy Birthday :D

My g/f loves seeing me in tight tops and lycra shorts, turns her on ( :o ) but then I don't have the extra bin bag full of yoghurt disrupting the outline...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Agent57 wrote:
    It's my birthday today (42, mentioned elsewhere) and one of the gifts from my wife was a new pair of dhb tights (Pace Roubaix, if you're interested). She doesn't like seeing me in them though; makes her laugh, and she calls them my "wrestler's outfit." :( Maybe I should get a mask to go with 'em.

that's for her birthday...
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Harsh! I'm not that bad-looking! Besides, I'm sure she'd rather just be blindfolded. :twisted:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Agent57 wrote:

Mrs RJS is not mad keen on the lycra either: legwarmers in particular (you get some pretty odd looks adjusting those at the lights, too). I'm not sure a mask improves things.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • 42, recently discovered the joys of lycra longs and I spent all of £200 on a second hand crosser as my fancy pants road bike.

I don't tend to do lycra on my folder or expensive urban jeep cannondale.

I'm 1/3 MAMIL 2/3 unclassified, possibly a marsupial of sorts as I carry my essentials in a pouch
  • What a relief I have just discovered that i am not a MAMIL.

At 49 I am too old and my new road bike is now 5 years old.
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    So, just me that admits to this then?
  • Wifey is spilling her wine with laughter at the crestfallen MAMIL hunched before her. Every new paragraph was a deeper cut and jolt into reality. 36 past my prime trying to take a new hobby to a higher level. She already thinks i've turned gay as i check out cyclists/bikes when we're out. I need some new lycra to cheer myself up a bit.
    Bianchi Nirone C2C FCN4
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm not a Mamil yet, but I hope to be in a few years. Got to be better than being a fat f*cker next in the que for a heart attack.