Who Here Is A MAMIL?

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Read this article on the BBC Website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10965608

I would say that I am middle-aged @ 45 and with my recent new purchase of a roadbike for commuting, I donned some lycra shorts so I guess I could quallify but as a regular biker/commuter I feel that the anacronym is slightly unfair.

Anyone own up to being one?

Comments

• Being that I'm 25 and lycra free, I think I'm safe. While I am relatively new to this whole cycle commuting thing, I've been MTBing for years previous so that also counts in my favour I think.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Given the number of men aged 35-44 who are buying fancy-pants road racing machines, is this a 21st Century mid-life crisis? Has the silence of skinny tyres and carbon fibre framesets replaced the thunderous noise of motorbikes?

I've been riding road bikes in lycra since I was about 16, some 25 years ago. So it's nothing to do with any sort of "mid-life crisis" as far as I'm concerned. As for being a "mamil", being 41 I don't think I qualify. I don't think of 41 as "middle-aged". Clearly, it's not young, but when I think of middle-aged men, I think of someone around 50.

I did get my motorbike a few years ago though...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Think I'm probably an occasional OMIL :roll:
  • Agent57 wrote:
    Given the number of men aged 35-44 who are buying fancy-pants road racing machines, is this a 21st Century mid-life crisis? Has the silence of skinny tyres and carbon fibre framesets replaced the thunderous noise of motorbikes?

I've been riding road bikes in lycra since I was about 16, some 25 years ago. So it's nothing to do with any sort of "mid-life crisis" as far as I'm concerned. As for being a "mamil", being 41 I don't think I qualify. I don't think of 41 as "middle-aged". Clearly, it's not young, but when I think of middle-aged men, I think of someone around 50.

I did get my motorbike a few years ago though...

heh would of said 40 is smack on for middle aged, since you would hope to make 70-90 or so. i'm not far behind you my self!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Guilty as charged :-)

And I can use the article to show the wife I'm now due a 3k bike as well!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Not me; ride either a 2nd hand bike or one that's 15 yo and ride it all week. Wouldn't be seen dead in a pack of Mamils at the weekend puffing and wheezing over the handlebar, wondering why I've gone past them on aforementioned 15yo bike loaded up with shopping.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Well i'm 42,own a carbon bike&wear lycra and do some riding at the weekends.....but on the plus side i still race once a week and ride nearly every day of the week as i've done for the last 20yrs.So i suppose i'm part mamil :lol: .It's good to see anybody buying a bike and getting out there,should save the NHS a bundle of dosh in the long run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I think to be a MAMIL you have to take up cycling in middle age not just be middle aged and have ridden a bike for years like most people on here 8)
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I took up cycling a year ago at 35.
    I ride occasionally at the weekend and have just started sportives.
    I now wear lycra for weekend rides.
    I have just bought a carbon bike.
    I wheeze over the handlebars on hills.

Hmmm...
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    42 soon so I guess I just qualify, but as a MAMIB - the L is cleverly hidden under baggies usually
  • What a stupid article.

I guess everyone in Amsterdam is having a mid-life crisis.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I guess it's an example of that very British trait of laughing at ourselves.

Anyone else read that article and think, "Hmm, how can I persuade SWMBO to let me have a crack at Ventoux next year?". :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

Anyone else read that article and think, "Hmm, how can I persuade SWMBO to let me have a crack at Ventoux next year?". :D
    Cingles, cingles, cingles!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CJ Bill
    CJ Bill Posts: 415
    42, but I got my full carbon fibre bike five years ago so does it still count?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Cingles, cingles, cingles!

Heh heh.

<cough> early June or early September may be the best time, but need to work it out domestically first if I'm going to do the Marmotte, too (which isn't certain) <cough>
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Given that the average 40 something these days is actually less fat than the average 20 something, I suspect we are more likely to get away with the lycra than the flabby youth of today :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    Given that the average 40 something these days is actually less fat than the average 20 something, I suspect we are more likely to get away with the lycra than the flabby youth of today :lol:

+1. And the late-30 somethings ;)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    StuAff wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

+1. And the late-30 somethings ;)

Oh yes, quite! I do apologise :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Middle-aged at heart maybe, but still have a few years to go yet.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    So I stopped being middle aged at 44 according to the BEEB.

That would explain the recently purchased MTB and threat of a carbon road bike.....

Bob
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You folks are OLD!

Sheesh, my Parents are 48!

When I go through my mid-life crisis, in more than a decades time, it is going to blisteringly-spectacular, I'm going to celebrate it with a crisis to end all crisis.

I'm not going to grow old and grey in some corner to be forgotten like some useless impulse buy.

The World will know, I may even film it!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You're gonna make a sex tape?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    kelsen wrote:

Cheers. I hope you are suppling the mind bleach.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    kelsen wrote:

Why? Does that stop once you hit middle-age?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Why? Does that stop once you hit middle-age?

No, only when you get married!
  • DonDaddyD
    So is marriage something women trick men into then?

Why get married? It seems that the Man spends all this money to give a woman a really lovely day. She gets to dress like Tinkerbell and friends and family gather round to marvel at her.

For his trouble the man then lives the rest of his life, not doing the stuff he wants, getting shouted at for not doing enough of what the woman wants and not getting any reward, physical or otherwise, for his submitting to servitude.

I mean sure there are kids but you don't need to get married for that.
    Food Chain number = 4

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    For his trouble the man then lives the rest of his life, not doing the stuff he wants, getting shouted at for not doing enough of what the woman wants and not getting any reward, physical or otherwise, for his submitting to servitude.

You may be ready
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So is marriage something women trick men into then?

Why get married? It seems that the Man spends all this money to give a woman a really lovely day. She gets to dress like Tinkerbell and friends and family gather round to marvel at her.

I mean sure there are kids but you don't need to get married for that.

You think not getting married will prevent any of that?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    You think not getting married will prevent any of that?

No, no I don't, who am I kidding. I already spend most of my life living Ms DDD's life.

Sigh....
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    Saaaaahhhhm fings in life are bad.

Dheycun reeeally make you mad!

Over fings just make you swear and curse...
    Pinnacle Monzonite