Bad news for the Cycle to Work scheme

13»

Comments

• h4rdy
    h4rdy Posts: 14
    Cressers wrote:
    So it should. If people want to ride to work then fine, but they shouldn't expect to be subsidised by the taxpayer.

I am the taxpayer who has a bike on the cycle to work scheme!

The massive amount of tax I pay every year its about time I got something back!

Instead of the Chavs with 11 kids getting houses and all sorts while they sit on their arse doing diddly squat.

So if it gets taken away from us in the end the unemployed will get more of our money (sorry the governments) and it will just be something else to moan about.

Get a grip, the cycle to work scheme is a good idea and yes it is abused but so what.

It creates jobs in the way of bike shops needed to maintain and sell.

People are marginally fitter.

People are getting out at the weekend and not sitting around watching the X Factor!

Its good all round in my opinion and its only jealousy because your company can't be bothered with a little bit of hassle to set it up.

I guarantee if you would you could!

I had to respond to this silly comment as it is completely the negative this country needs to pull itself out of.

It also creates animosity towards other people because you/me can't have something that the other person has!
  • Cressers
    Cressers Posts: 1,329
    So if it gets taken away from us in the end the unemployed will get more of our money (sorry the governments) and it will just be something else to moan about.

I
    had to respond to this silly comment as it is completely the negative this country needs to pull itself out of.

It also creates animosity towards other people because you/me can't have something that the other person has!

And how have those comments advanced the debate?
  • h4rdy
    A lot more than your silly comment did.

If you are a taxpayer? Then you would be happy with the break!
  • bompington wrote:
    So I wonder what the FMV on mine is... seeing as how it was stolen last year?

Well it's your responsibility to ensure there's adequate insurance to cover theft.

You'll still have to pay the monthly amount and you'll still have to pay the FMV when your scheme ends.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,789
    h4rdy wrote:
    Cressers wrote:
    So it should. If people want to ride to work then fine, but they shouldn't expect to be subsidised by the taxpayer.

Instead of the Chavs with 11 kids getting houses and all sorts while they sit on their ars* doing diddly squat.

Get a grip, the cycle to work scheme is a good idea and yes it is abused but so what.

It creates jobs in the way of bike shops needed to maintain and sell.

People are marginally fitter.

People are getting out at the weekend and not sitting around watching the X Factor!

Its good all round in my opinion and its only jealousy because your company can't be bothered with a little bit of hassle to set it up.

I guarantee if you would you could!

I had to respond to this silly comment as it is completely the negative this country needs to pull itself out of.

Read a different paper.

It might chill you out a bit more.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:

Well it's your responsibility to ensure there's adequate insurance to cover theft.

You'll still have to pay the monthly amount and you'll still have to pay the FMV when your scheme ends.
    Thanks for telling me what I already know but not answering my query - what is the final value?
    The last evidence was a set of tyre tracks down a fairly impressive off-road route (we're talking about a carbon road bike here) through woods & parkland, so I'm guessing it's not in a great state by now...
  • h4rdy
    Not necessary as I don't read them!

You all need to look at the bigger picture and not just the 1 metre space around you!

Very selfish behaviour because you can't have something.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Thanks for telling me what I already know but not answering my query - what is the final value?
    The last evidence was a set of tyre tracks down a fairly impressive off-road route (we're talking about a carbon road bike here) through woods & parkland, so I'm guessing it's not in a great state by now...

Presumably your bike was insured such that when it was stolen you replaced it with like-for-like? The final value would be based on the bike you bought with your insurance pay out....

If it wasn't insured then presumably you will pay the standard FMV unless you can prove it is now worth less, which obviously you can't.
    More problems but still living....
  • rick_chasey
    h4rdy wrote:
    Not necessary as I don't read them!

Go read a paper then.

One that will chill you out.
  • h4rdy
    What do you recommend?

The Sport?
  • rick_chasey
    h4rdy wrote:
    What do you recommend?

The Sport?

For you?

Yeah.
  • h4rdy
    That surprises me I was expecting you to recommend The Daily Mail.

It would put everything into perspective then.
  • rick_chasey
    h4rdy wrote:
    That surprises me I was expecting you to recommend The Daily Mail.

It would put everything into perspective then.
    The 'Mail would appear to be a natural fit.

After all, you feel you're owed something from the tax man!

• h4rdy
    Very knowledgeable I'm these matters aren't we.

Thanks for the recommendation ill give it a go.

It will be just what I am looking for methinks.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Presumably your bike was insured such that when it was stolen you replaced it with like-for-like? The final value would be based on the bike you bought with your insurance pay out....

If it wasn't insured then presumably you will pay the standard FMV unless you can prove it is now worth less, which obviously you can't.

Wouldn't you just choose not to buy the bike at the end of the "hire" period? Why on earth would you pay the FMV for a bike that was stolen?
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • amaferanga
    Actually, if the bike is stolen you should I believe pay the remainder of your payments from your net salary and then not pay anything at the end. My mistake.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    amaferanga wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Wouldn't you just choose not to buy the bike at the end of the "hire" period? Why on earth would you pay the FMV for a bike that was stolen?

Dont you either pay the FMV or hand the bike back? Pretty difficult if you dont have it.

Dont know much about CTW scheme, my employer doesnt run one, but if it did I would certainly take advantage of it.
  • amaferanga
    Some employers charge a disposal fee equal to the fmv. So you either pay and get the bike or pay and don't get it!
  • bompington
    OK, I should know by now that what seems to me like vey obvious facetiousness is not always going to transmit to everyone...
    In reality the situation is that due to very bad organisation on my part, together with a long string of unlucky coincidences, I hadn't increased my max value from the default £500 by the time (not long after I bought it) the bike was nicked.
    I'm well aware that this breaches the terms of the agreement, thankfully I have an understanding employer and we're just continuing as if nothing had happened, the only damage done is the state of my shins as I kick myself every time my pay slip comes through and reminds me.

Just as long as none of you lot grass me up to the revenue, of course; but then none of you know that my real name is Marguerita McCavity and I work for DeadMonkey Stuffed Tropical Animals Ltd. in North Piddle.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Aha, I think I know your brother, Phil...
  • bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:

I didn't answer it as it came across as a belligerant comment about the whole C2W scheme as opposed to a question open to the forum.

If your company is running the scheme correctly you should already have the answer anyway.
  • bompington
    bompington wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    [not at all belligerent, just a bit facetious] So I wonder what the FMV on mine is... seeing as how it was stolen last year? [/not at all belligerent, just a bit facetious]
    I didn't answer it as it came across as a belligerant comment about the whole C2W scheme as opposed to a question open to the forum.
    There, does that help?