Garmin Edge 500 advise

Gavin Cook
Gavin Cook Posts: 307
I have just bought myself a Garmin Edge 500. Have you any advise or tips to get me started with a more structured training plan for both time trials and road racing ?
Thanks

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The Garmin won't really help you with that a whole lot - unless you have a powermeter of some sort to go with it?

But in general - you will want to do some intervals. 2 x 20 mins at 90% Max HR to help with road racing and 4 x 5 mins @ 95% max HR to help with TTing. Rest in between sets (8-10 mins).

Or do a search on the forum for training tips - there are loads on here.
  • Gavin Cook
    Thanks Pokerface
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I can't offer much adviCe but does the 500 not have functions for intervals and all that like the 605/705?
  • Gavin Cook
    Not really sure if it has functions for intervals freehub ??
  • Pokerface
    Sure. It's called a 'lap' button
  • 16simon
    16simon Posts: 154
    Pokerface wrote:
    The Garmin won't really help you with that a whole lot - unless you have a powermeter of some sort to go with it?

But in general - you will want to do some intervals. 2 x 20 mins at 90% Max HR to help with road racing and 4 x 5 mins @ 95% max HR to help with TTing. Rest in between sets (8-10 mins).

Hmmm... are you the famous coach Bobby Clamp by any chance? These seem unnecessarily brutal.

For TTing, ride a 10m TT with the Garmin to get your average HR (club events that are held in the evening and don't require entry in adavance are good for this) which will be your threshold HR. Train 5-10BPM under this, it will improve your ability to clear lactic acid and boost your threshold.
  • Pokerface
    16simon wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Hmmm... are you the famous coach Bobby Clamp by any chance? These seem unnecessarily brutal.

For TTing, ride a 10m TT with the Garmin to get your average HR (club events that are held in the evening and don't require entry in adavance are good for this) which will be your threshold HR. Train 5-10BPM under this, it will improve your ability to clear lactic acid and boost your threshold.

I ride a TT over threshold (as it's shorter). I believe you have to do efforts above threshold in order to improve. Constantly riding under threshold just gets you good at riding under threshold - it won't help push the threshold up.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    The 500 is fine for interval training. You just setup the interval workout in Garmin Training Centre (or other compatable SW) and load it into you 500.
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pokerface wrote:
    Sure. It's called a 'lap' button

No it's not. It's called Menu/Training/Workouts/Interval.

It gives a choice, such as; Dist/Rest Time, Dist/Rest Dist, Time/ Rest Time and Time/Rest Dist.

These mean you don't need to keep an eye on timers or lap buttons.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    the workout function on the garmins is great, you can access it as freehub mentions.

Benefit of the 605/705 is that you can do 'advanced' workouts, which I absolutely lov.

Rathe than based on time/distance, you can create workouts based on cadence, power, hr, time, distance, speed, calories...

For example, the below details some of the features you could use.

1. 5 min warmup with a cadecne of 95-110rpm (it alerts you if you are out of it)
    2. 3 mins at 90-95% Functional Threshold Power (again alerts you if your out of it)
    3. Recover until your HR drops below 110bpm (Automcially laps and moves you to the next step WHEN your HR drops below 110bpm)
    4. Repeat steps 2-3.. 4 times (repeats the steps as mentioned)
    5. 5 min cooldown with a cadecne of 95-110rpm (it alerts you if you are of that cadence zone)

Cheers

Will
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Gavin Cook
    Thanks all
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    Benefit of the 605/705 is that you can do 'advanced' workouts, which I absolutely lov.

Rathe than based on time/distance, you can create workouts based on cadence, power, hr, time, distance, speed, calories...

For example, the below details some of the features you could use.

1. 5 min warmup with a cadecne of 95-110rpm (it alerts you if you are out of it)
    2. 3 mins at 90-95% Functional Threshold Power (again alerts you if your out of it)
    3. Recover until your HR drops below 110bpm (Automcially laps and moves you to the next step WHEN your HR drops below 110bpm)
    4. Repeat steps 2-3.. 4 times (repeats the steps as mentioned)
    5. 5 min cooldown with a cadecne of 95-110rpm (it alerts you if you are of that cadence zone)

You can do the same on the 500, just not straight on the device.
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Is there somewhere that you can download garmin workouts? I know they might need to be tweaked to apply individual MHR etc but it would be a good starting point.
  • Download Garmin Training Centre from here:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=835

and then input your workouts and send them to your device, for example you could input the workout that is mentioned previously and then send it, its very easy to use and there are some workouts already in the training centre that you can send to your 500
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 2009
    Giant Defy 2010
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    paggnr wrote:
    You can do the same on the 500, just not straight on the device.

I stand corrected, could of sworn when they first released it, it was not a feature unless they have done an update to enable it.

Hmm interesting, edge 800 listed on garmin:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043

Just no details!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/