Ullrich burnt out

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited January 2011 in Pro race
Ulle's suffering from 'burnt-out' syndrome. He was diagnosed a few days ago.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The timing of Ullrich’s announcement today coincides with a ruling against him by a German court in relation to a dispute with anti-doping campaigner Werner Franke. The Hamburg state court has dismissed a suit by the rider, who was trying to stop Franke from making claims that he had paid €35,000 to Fuentes for doping. Ullrich denied doping under oath and could in theory face perjury charges.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/5249/ ... drome.aspx

I wonder if Rudy's finished writing that book yet.
  • "Withdaws from public life" – is that like going into hiding?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Maybe what he's really suffering from is what Landis was suffering from. If so, he will continue to do so until he unburdens himself.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    DaveyL wrote:
    Maybe what he's really suffering from is what Landis was suffering from. If so, he will continue to do so until he unburdens himself.

he made a comment that if people couldn't add 1 + 1 to realise what was going on in the sport they were beyond his help. An admission of massive amounts of doping I guess. I hope Ulle gets better, whatever it is he's suffering with. The guy is a legend. I don't care if he doped.
  • DaveyL
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

he made a comment that if people couldn't add 1 + 1 to realise what was going on in the sport they were beyond his help. An admission of massive amounts of doping I guess. I hope Ulle gets better, whatever it is he's suffering with. The guy is a legend. I don't care if he doped.

It's not really an admission though, is it? It's a half-arsed attempt at him saying, "Yeah, I was at it, and so was everyone else." He would, I bet, feel a lot better if he came out and said, "Here's what I did, here's how I did it, Ithis is what I took, here's who helped me, etc.". The whole deal.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dave_1
    DaveyL wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

It's not really an admission though, is it? It's a half-arsed attempt at him saying, "Yeah, I was at it, and so was everyone else." He would, I bet, feel a lot better if he came out and said, "Here's what I did, here's how I did it, Ithis is what I took, here's who helped me, etc.". The whole deal.

but EPO was totally accepted and widely used when he came into the pro ranks, so it's a liitle mitigating. He was in the wrong place, wrong time as much as he was a cheater, hence my tempered attitude re his 1997 win, his talent
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    [He was in the wrong place, wrong time as much as he was a cheater, hence my tempered attitude re his 1997 win, his talent

I believe that he was up there with Fignon, Lemond and Andy Shleck as guys who were born to be Tour champs as they all exhibited phenomenal performances in their first Tours. To come in as 21/22 year olds and be on the podium at your first attempt is what makes them out as grand champions. Which is why I feel sorry for A Schleck being on Bjarne's team as much as I feel for Ullrich coming into Telekom - peer pressure to do what everyone does when natural talent suggests otherwise :(
  • DaveyL
    Dave_1 wrote:
    [He was in the wrong place, wrong time as much as he was a cheater, hence my tempered attitude re his 1997 win, his talent

I believe that he was up there with Fignon, Lemond and Andy Shleck as guys who were born to be Tour champs as they all exhibited phenomenal performances in their first Tours. To come in as 21/22 year olds and be on the podium at your first attempt is what makes them out as grand champions. Which is why I feel sorry for A Schleck being on Bjarne's team as much as I feel for Ullrich coming into Telekom - peer pressure to do what everyone does when natural talent suggests otherwise :(

You mean Ullrich's "natural talent" in 1996, when his team-mate's crit was up in the 60s?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    Dave_1 wrote:
    but EPO was totally accepted and widely used when he came into the pro ranks

Absolutely, Dave. It didn't seem wrong to those guys back then. It was like an arms race, and they were so enveloped in their world they didn't realise it was wrong.

But now, there is much more of a stigma associated with doping, and he is now far removed from that world. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having trouble with it *now*.

I'm not saying that he is, just that it wouldn't surprise me if this is at the root of it. Or is at least nagging at him.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    I'd imagine for athletes or ex athletes, who, by their very nature have a lot energy, this kind of syndrome can be quite tough.
  • dave_1
    DaveyL wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    but EPO was totally accepted and widely used when he came into the pro ranks

Absolutely, Dave. It didn't seem wrong to those guys back then. It was like an arms race, and they were so enveloped in their world they didn't realise it was wrong.

But now, there is much more of a stigma associated with doping, and he is now far removed from that world. I wouldn't be surprised if he is having trouble with it *now*.

I'm not saying that he is, just that it wouldn't surprise me if this is at the root of it. Or is at least nagging at him.

I agree. He seemed to go down the drink and recreational drugs road when times got hard in 2002, so hope he's not falling into that, given he probably has a massive amount he's not saying, trying not to say. If the courts take his wealth off him, one would think he'll talk. And Ullrich was a likeable guy as well, never talked tough or arrogant, just got on with it. His tourmalet attack, though judged silly in today processional formulaic racing culture, was pretty cool. He tried to eliminate team mate type stuff and take it mano a mano with LA. I think if he'd come into the ranks today with things being clamped down on a bit more now he'd still ahve been good..nowadays riders threatening to leave teams if certain riders being signed, TDF winners demanding contract opt out clauses if a rider on their team fails a dope test pre-tour, bio passport and testers willing to argue the toss with riders and their lawyers...it's changed days.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Am I missing something here? This reads like an Ullrich love-fest. Poor Ullrich, he had to take drugs, everyone else was doing it, it was the pressure. Armstrong (who hasn't burnt out) gets pages slagging him off. How he was the Devil Incarnate and took special NASA drugs to achieve what he did. Ullrich was a product of the East German gymnasia who had drug development in combination with brutal training down to a fine art. Granted he was talented but he came at a time when LA was more 'talented' and Ullrich buckled under the weight of expectation. Let's not shed tears over him. He was as guilty as any of the hate figures on these forums altho'he did look fantastic on a bike. I was stood near him at a stage of the Giro in 2007 and he looked powerful (not fat, not big but powerful). If he has some mental issues then I hope he gets over them and can resume his life. Shame he has to go thro' this stuff when someone like Ricco just takes the pi55 out of cycling and still gets the oxygen of publicity
    M.Rushton
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    mrushton wrote:
    Am I missing something here? This reads like an Ullrich love-fest. Poor Ullrich, he had to take drugs, everyone else was doing it, it was the pressure. Armstrong (who hasn't burnt out) gets pages slagging him off. How he was the Devil Incarnate and took special NASA drugs to achieve what he did. Ullrich was a product of the East German gymnasia who had drug development in combination with brutal training down to a fine art. Granted he was talented but he came at a time when LA was more 'talented' and Ullrich buckled under the weight of expectation. Let's not shed tears over him. He was as guilty as any of the hate figures on these forums altho'he did look fantastic on a bike. I was stood near him at a stage of the Giro in 2007 and he looked powerful (not fat, not big but powerful). If he has some mental issues then I hope he gets over them and can resume his life. Shame he has to go thro' this stuff when someone like Ricco just takes the pi55 out of cycling and still gets the oxygen of publicity

No you're not missing something. I agree.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,096
    andyp wrote:
    mrushton wrote:

No you're not missing something. I agree.

me too
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    He may well wish to 'unburden' himself. What I suspect would stop him, is implicating friends, and contemporaries who are still making a living in the sport. Also the impact this would have on his young family.

Not a nice place to be. I can only imagine the stress he is suffering.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mrushton wrote:

Generally, I agree with you. But, because he came through the East German sports system, he was probably exposed to doping at a young and impressionable age and any morality connected to doping would have long been eroded (if it ever existed). If you've been told for as long as you've been in the sport that doping isn't cheating, it can be hard to come to terms with the idea that it is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    Agree with all of the posts from mrushton onwards. In general, this is what a grown-up discussing of doping looks like. Others take note...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • rick_chasey
    Not that I should be helping generate traffic for this kind of journalism, but...

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1297/Doping-In ... -out.dhtml

Decidedly unfortunate pictures of Ullrich chosen by the journos in this one, especially the one where he's wiping his nose.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    edited August 2010
    mrushton wrote:
    Am I missing something here? This reads like an Ullrich love-fest. Poor Ullrich, he had to take drugs, everyone else was doing it, it was the pressure. Armstrong (who hasn't burnt out) gets pages slagging him off.
    Yes, you are missing something. The names Bassons and Simeoni, plus the signature at the bottom of this post will give you a few clues. :wink:

Also, as far as I know, Ullrich has not fed and exploited anti-French xenophobia in order to defend his position. Nor has he cynically exploited the desire of cancer victims to believe in 'miracles' in order to protect himself from criticism and to generate profits for himself. (As Armstrong has with livestrong.com and endless endorsement deals that play on the 'inspiration' he supposedly gives to cancer sufferers. Inspiration that, in reality, is based on the 'biggest fraud in the history of cycling').

Reasons to Associate Your Brand With LIVESTRONG.COM

Over 70 million wristbands sold worldwide

Lance Armstrong's global awareness is 79 percent*

59 percent of adults 18 to 39 are familiar with the LIVESTRONGSM brand.*

80 percent of the people familiar with the LIVESTRONGSM brand associate it with inspiration.*

Advertising Opportunities.

1. Site and Category Takeovers.

2. Email Newsletter and Advertorials

3. Original Article and Video Sponsorship

4. Widget Sponsorship

5. Profile and Behavioural Targeting

http://mediakit.livestrong.com/

"In the beginning we had this brand of brash Texan, interesting European sport, a phenomenon. Then you layered in cancer survivor, which broadened and deepened the brand." Bill Stapelton.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2001-07-01/feature4.php
  • RichN95.
    Any thoughts on Ullrich BB? Or any other doper not from America? Such a blinkered obsession isn't good for the mind or objectivity.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    RichN95 wrote:
    Any thoughts on Ullrich BB? Or any other doper not from America? Such a blinkered obsession isn't good for the mind or objectivity.
    Mmmm, another ad hominem attack, rather than an attempt to address the points I raise. :roll:

Perhaps you missed the comments I made just a few days ago regarding Indurain. I have also passed unfavourable comments about Millar's criticism of Landis and questioned whether Wiggin's was really clean in last year's Tour. (Suspicions raised by the conflicting accounts he gave of his weight loss programme). Not doping related but I have been very critical of Cavendish as well. So, not so much of a 'blinkered obsession' after all... :wink:
  • DaveyL
    Yeah, only about 90% of your posts are about you-know-who.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I'm not worried about about Armstrong and branding. It's his business, literally. His detractors talk of him exploiting his illness yet i don't see any of the pharmaceutical companies handing cancer/aids drugs or patents out. Anyway back to JU. He still got paid a lot of money by a team that had doping as a core part of its training. He was happy to accept the Audi and the Euro millions and the Olympic Gold in 2000 which I notice he hasn't returned yet (that's if did take drugs and is in a quandry). If LA hadn't turned up in 1999 and Ullrich had fulfilled his potential, would he still be 'burnt-out'?
    M.Rushton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think some like Ullrich because of his human failings.
    - it was probably never his choice to dope but the East German system started giving him "vitamins" in his mid-teens, probably steroids. What later became EPO was probably only a progression
    - he failed and this endears him to people, the cake-eating guy who was too chubby is just more human than the borderline psychopath who weighs his food portions.
    - he's been humiliated. He cheated and got busted.

I don't have too much sympathy for him but clearly he's part-victim in the story here. As pointed out above, it's amusing to see him vanish from public life on the day his legal case against Werner Franke collapses, the same day anyone is allowed to call Ullrich a doper in public.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:
    - it was probably never his choice to dope but the East German system started giving him "vitamins" in his mid-teens, probably steroids. What later became EPO was probably only a progression
    - he failed and this endears him to people, the cake-eating guy who was too chubby is just more human than the borderline psychopath who weighs his food portions.

I don't have too much sympathy for him but clearly he's part-victim in the story here. As pointed out above, it's amusing to see him vanish from public life on the day his legal case against Werner Franke collapses, the same day anyone is allowed to call Ullrich a doper in public.

Who even knew he was in public life? What is the perception of him in Germany? Is he still a big star there, doing the chat shows and the lifestyle magazines and the other celebrity nonsense? I thought he had disappeared soon after OP and was enjoying his retirement.

I agree with everything else you wrote. He's a cheat, for sure, but some cheaters are easier to sympathise with than others.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    afx237vi wrote:
    What is the perception of him in Germany? Is he still a big star there, doing the chat shows and the lifestyle magazines and the other celebrity nonsense?.
    No idea. I thought Jude Law was a woman, ie Judith Law, until I was correctly informed by a colleague six months ago. So German celebrities, no idea. That said, I think he has done some celebrity stuff. Here he is hanging out with footy legend Lothar Matheus... at a party for Lambertz, the German choc and biscuit maker.
    Annual+Lambertz+Party+2PWrlOCu05ll.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2015
    del
    Contador is the Greatest
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    afx237vi wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Who even knew he was in public life? What is the perception of him in Germany? Is he still a big star there, doing the chat shows and the lifestyle magazines and the other celebrity nonsense? I thought he had disappeared soon after OP and was enjoying his retirement.

I agree with everything else you wrote. He's a cheat, for sure, but some cheaters are easier to sympathise with than others.

Nope. Haven't seen him on TV for a couple of years. No surprise, cos the German media only talks about doping as soon as the topic turns to bikes. As does the average man on the street. It's very tiresome.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    DaveyL wrote:
    Yeah, only about 90% of your posts are about you-know-who.
    Where are the other 10% posted, cakestop?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mmmm, another ad hominem attack, rather than an attempt to address the points I raise. :roll:

Perhaps you missed the comments I made just a few days ago regarding Indurain. I have also passed unfavourable comments about Millar's criticism of Landis and questioned whether Wiggin's was really clean in last year's Tour. (Suspicions raised by the conflicting accounts he gave of his weight loss programme). Not doping related but I have been very critical of Cavendish as well. So, not so much of a 'blinkered obsession' after all... :wink:

OK, lets have a look at these other topics you have addressed.

1. Millar's criticism of Landis. Are you really trying to say that this has nothing to do with Armstrong?

2. Recent comments about Indurain. A search of the word 'Indurain' with your poster name reveals only threads with a topic clearly referring to Armstrong. The most recent ones are 'Armstrong to blame for his cancer?' and 'WSJ Part 2'.

3. Wiggins. If we look at the most obvious thread 'Is there anyone on here who genuinely thinks Wiggins doped?'

Your first post is:
    There are differences between the two cases though. Figures released by people like Edward Coyle show that Armstrong's post cancer Tour weight was actually within a kilo or so of his weight when he won the world RR championships. On the other hand Wiggins clearly has lost a lot of weight. Whether his previous body fat level really was over 12%, as the figures he gave suggest, is another matter. (This has already been discussed on here).

On another thread - 'Wiggins to publish blood test results', you post:
    Yes, this is to take a very sceptical stance, and I really would like to believe that Wiggins is clean, but we have to remember that we can't always rely 100% on data given out by a rider or his team. For example, we know that Armstrong has changed data that he has made public on several occasions, as with the recent changes he made to his haemocrit values, as referred to by Iain, and when he altered his VO2 max figures in response to Lemond's criticism that someone with his reported VO2 max - 81.4 as I recall - could not produce the sort of sustained power outputs he did.

4. Cavendish - no link there. Although he has been friendly with Armstrong in the past, so who knows if that has swayed you.

So essentially you have nothing to say about anything unrelated to Armstrong.

The tragedy is that the vast majority of this forum, including myself, thinks that Armstrong doped. But we still want to chat about cycling and only bring Armstrong into the discussion when appropriate, not derailing threads with an obsessive agenda. The biggest joke being your comments about Armstrong feeding 'anti-french' sentiment, while continually spewing anti-american bile

You on the other hand are a one trick pony. A one cause crusader. A joke, a clown, a fool, our village idiot. To use the name of a local band a 'Manic Street Preacher'. You are the man with the sandwich board proclaiming the end is nigh. Even if we agree with you, we still think you're a little deranged.