1989 Tour de France - Everything it is held up to be?

2»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What about 1994, how was that? i was watching some videos earlier and it looked pretty exciting. Yates, Luc Le Blanc, Virenque, Pantani, Indurain.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What about 1994, how was that? i was watching some videos earlier and it looked pretty exciting. Yates, Luc Le Blanc, Virenque, Pantani, Indurain.

I'm afraid it wasn't really. The Indurain years were really rather dull. The opening time trial in 1994 shows why. Indurain beat everyone except Rominger by four and a half minutes (and Rominger by two). And there wasn't anyone capable of pulling that much back from him (especially with another TT to come).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    89 ws a great tour, no doubt. The Indurain years were boring. Whatever emeges if future about Lance, he did put on a god show, even when he was dominant he was more interesting to watch than Indurain.

This year's tour was very good, I think the best since 89. OK, it was between 2 men, but so was 86 and that is generally regarded as a great tour. The cobbles broke things up a bit, neither Bertie nor Andy dominanted, and it went down to the wire.

The speeds up the climbs, the French stage wins and the fact that both AC and AS had their weak moments indicates that it was probably the cleanest tour in a while.