Smelly cyclists

2»

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Butterd2 wrote:
    "Worked from home" on friday so got out of my usual routine, rode in this morning to find no keggs, socks or shoes in my locker, so sat here commando in my spud's which despite half a can of deodorant stink! :oops:

I would have suggested a sprinkling of bicarb of soda but you'd have to walk around in bare feet for a bit. Try it at home.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I Admit it.....

I showered at work on Friday morning after cycling in. Then did not shower again until Morning at work after cycling in - entire weekend without a hint of cleanliness.

Thats Babies, children and a million DIY jobs to do for you + a dog to walk!

I did smell like a cross between old socks and hot trash

I do wash my kit weekly - and have 7 pairs of "padded" shorts.....I even wash my mitts weekly as they get stinking too!

Won't sit in the office stinking though as I don't think my team would appreciate the smell and I should lead by example.......by updating forum websites on my personal hygiene!

This weekend of sheer filth was a bit of an exception - too little time and too much to do!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Oh my God. Burn him!!!! :shock: :shock:

:D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Having recently been up to my eyeballs in stripping out a bathroom and demolishing a wall, I can sympathise with the soap-holiday. It does seem a bit pointless when you are going to get covered in cack again in a few hours. That said, you won't have had any trouble with drafting fairies this morning, I'll wager. :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Oh my God. Burn him!!!! :shock: :shock:

:D

So, I cycled to work and showered on Friday morning, cycled 8 miles home - then showered again this morning after and 8 mile ride in.....

I was quite sticky, won't do it again - promise..

@RJSTerry - I don't get any scr action on my route in :-(
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:
    "Worked from home" on friday so got out of my usual routine, rode in this morning to find no keggs, socks or shoes in my locker, so sat here commando in my spud's which despite half a can of deodorant stink! :oops:

I would have suggested a sprinkling of bicarb of soda but you'd have to walk around in bare feet for a bit. Try it at home.

I'm feeling bare enough for one day thanks! :oops: (Will try the Bicarb later though)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757

Almost certainly! But note above where I mention that I'm paranoid?

@kb, first you imply that I'm not awesome and now this? :cry:

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • I ride in my suit, arrive dripping with sweat, and hope I dry off sufficiently in the 4 mins or so I generally have before my clients arrive. I've been astonished at how much I don't smell. I do shower before leaving, and wear Sure deodorant, which seems to work. Also, my suit jacket is becoming stiff with the amount of sweat, specially with the hot summer, and my riding faster. Oh well!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Dude, a jacket should not be stiff. Mind you, if it's a wool suit, that would explain why it's not more whiffy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Our blinking office company (Argyll Serviced Offices) have just stopped us being able to leave clothes in the changing room, so we have to bring them up to the office itself. 3 of us cycle in an office of 9, that's going to be a lot of wet winter cycling gear in a few months

GRRRRR
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    I have a couple of cheap wicking tops from Millets. They have this strange artifical-flowery smell to them (even when new). I wonder if anyone has come across this before or managed to neutralize it?
  • snailracer wrote:
    I have a couple of cheap wicking tops from Millets. They have this strange artifical-flowery smell to them (even when new). I wonder if anyone has come across this before or managed to neutralize it?

royal mail jackets used to smell of pee once they got wet, was lovely whiff once wet....
  • dugliss
    dugliss Posts: 235
    snailracer wrote:

royal mail jackets used to smell of pee once they got wet, was lovely whiff once wet....

Haha, I work for Royal Mail and some of my older workmates smell of wee but I don`t think it`s anything to do with their jackets!!
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yeah, the whole "smelling of wee" thing is an unfortunately common occurence, usually with thicker jackets (I notice motorcyclists smell of wee quite often so presumably it's not just a sweating thing). It's presumably to do with wet material not being allowed to dry and not being washed?

The whole smelling thing should be easy to deal with pragmatically. As soon as you detect any kind of negative odour, deal with it as soon as you can so it never gets to the point where it bugs others. If this means sniffing your own gear, then sniff it. It amazes me that some people either like smelling of wee or genuinely don't notice it (or care)!