Smelly cyclists

hstiles
hstiles Posts: 414
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Light hearted thread for a Friday.

My employer provides male and female changing rooms with shower, basin and lockers. I'm not exactly one to spend loads on cycling gear and my attire reflects this - pair of camo or football shorts and a cheap Karrimor cycling or running top from sports Direct.

However one of the blokes that works in the building rides to work in the same thick cotton longsleeve jumper and tracksuit bottoms 5 days a week. By Thursday his clothes could probably ride themselves home.

This morning it was so ripe int here I nearly gagged whilst having a shower.

Does anyone else share changing facilities with person or persons with a similar dislike of washign powder?

Comments

• ....quite the opposite here, 3 of us ride in and share a small shower room (at seperate times) and it always smells pretty fresh around the office for a change when someone has ridden in. today, i'm not sure how but we all rode in and the office has a sort of new car smell to it. nice.

if I was in your position i'd maybe ask him to air his clothes off outside.
  • Last night on the way home I was cycling up to overtake another roadie. The stench in his tailwind of what smelt like he had not washed for a month was disgusting, so disgusting it made me pedal faster to get past.

Not exclusive to men too, I had a horrible whiff of a girl on a bike a few days ago.....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've never had a shower at work. I have always had an elaborate and far too lengthy, complex and detailed process of cleaning myself in the disabled toilets.

I work in an office with two women, I'm so very concious on smelly clothes, I dread when it rains and the wet lycra has to dry...

To the OP, your mate with the tracksuit, I'd say something... recommend lycra or just tell him he stinks outright....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

Is that even possible, women smelling bad... jesus its a dark World we live in post-crisis

You didn't find her attractive did you? I mean for a girl (you find attractive) to actually smell bad they'd not have to wash for an indefinate time, roll around in shite and worship the devil....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    +1 for telling him outright. Hopefully it'll clear the air, if you forgive the pun.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Clearly you've never met Greg T :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Everyone reading this thread, take a second and give yourself, and your cycling gear, a quick sniff.

Do you smell? If so, do something about this, and thank this thread for preventing the embarrassment of a friend or colleague having to take you to one side and say "listen, this is really embarrassing but we've been meaning to tell you for a while..."
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    My cycling gear always is a bit whiffy at the end of the day. I have my own cupboard for kit and get out the building sharpish when I get changed.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    My cycling gear always is a bit whiffy at the end of the day. I have my own cupboard for kit and get out the building sharpish when I get changed.

Dirty boy :P
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Meh.

I have a clean set for each day, I'm just one of the sweat at any time brigade.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You shouldn't be whiffy after a few hours at work. If the clothes (and sweat) at the start of the day are clean, then they won't smell. Air them (i.e. don't keep them in a cupboard) so they dry quickly and hey presto, no pong.

If they DO smell, then either you or your clothes aren't as clean as they should/could be.
  • Kieran_Burns
    biondino wrote:
    You shouldn't be whiffy after a few hours at work. If the clothes (and sweat) at the start of the day are clean, then they won't smell. Air them (i.e. don't keep them in a cupboard) so they dry quickly and hey presto, no pong.

If they DO smell, then either you or your clothes aren't as clean as they should/could be.

**I'm** not whiffy :P The kit I cycle to work in IS whiffy when I come to get changed at the end of the day.

I use under-arm anti-pong, soap, water and talc to get myself smelling lurverly
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    KB invest in some merino wool jerseys, yeh I know they cost a fortune but they handle sweat and smell so much better than synthetics.

Some of my jerseys have developed that when wet smell that no amount of cleaning will get rid of
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    KB invest in some merino wool jerseys, yeh I know they cost a fortune but they handle sweat and smell so much better than synthetics.

Some of my jerseys have developed that when wet smell that no amount of cleaning will get rid of

It's the price that has been putting me off to be honest...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Yeah, I am ultra-paranoid about being smelly, I tend at present to cycle in in clean kit every day, shower at a gym, change into work gear and have a fresh pair of non-bib shorts or wear leggings so I can cycle home in my work gear, which then goes straight in the wash along with the morning's cycle gear.

Suffice it to say, I do a lot of laundry.

However, today I failed to bring a component of my clothing set so am wearing part of the stuff I cycled in, and despite repeated assurances that I don't, I'm convinced I smell. :oops:
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

I know, mental but worth it. In fact in the winter I have a couple of ASDA merino wool jumpers that I wear, cheap & warm and no smells.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Yeah, I am ultra-paranoid about being smelly, I tend at present to cycle in in clean kit every day, shower at a gym, change into work gear and have a fresh pair of non-bib shorts or wear leggings so I can cycle home in my work gear, which then goes straight in the wash along with the morning's cycle gear.

However, today I failed to bring a component of my clothing set so am wearing part of the stuff I cycled in, and despite repeated assurances that I don't, I'm convinced I smell. :oops:

Well... I didn't like to say....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • itboffin
    Yeah, I am ultra-paranoid about being smelly, I tend at present to cycle in in clean kit every day, shower at a gym, change into work gear and have a fresh pair of non-bib shorts or wear leggings so I can cycle home in my work gear, which then goes straight in the wash along with the morning's cycle gear.

But really she NOT mad at all :roll: :P
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    For the avoidance of doubt, I fully admit to being a bit pongy byt he time I get home - I have cycled around12 miles each way after all. This is different though. Imagine cycling to work in a thermal long sleeve t-shirt and tracksuit bottoms, which are dripping with sweat byt he time you arrive and simply hanging them over a heater for the day then popping them back on for the journey and repeating for 5 days a week.

I can only assume he's single and, probably, a virgin.
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I know, mental but worth it. In fact in the winter I have a couple of ASDA merino wool jumpers that I wear, cheap & warm and no smells.

Carp!

http://www.theoldbicycleshowroom.co.uk/ ... -284-p.asp

but that's nice :shock:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Is that even possible, women smelling bad... jesus its a dark World we live in post-crisis

You didn't find her attractive did you? I mean for a girl (you find attractive) to actually smell bad they'd not have to wash for an indefinate time, roll around in shite and worship the devil....

I've always had women devil worshippers down as being alluringly fragrant, as well as a few other things (all good though very little bad).

Merino wool is fabulous for dealing with smells though
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Hmmm, sizing.

XL = 42" chest. On that sizing I would need an XXXXL! :cry:
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323

Your Shutt stuff should take a bit more riding than that!
  • rf6 wrote:
    Yeah, I am ultra-paranoid about being smelly, I

tend at present to cycle in in clean kit every day, shower at a gym, change into work gear and have a fresh pair of non-bib shorts or wear leggings so I can cycle home in my work gear, which then goes straight in the wash along with the morning's cycle gear.

Your Shutt stuff should take a bit more riding than that!

Almost certainly! But note above where I mention that I'm paranoid?

@kb, first you imply that I'm not awesome and now this? :cry:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    It's not paranoia in my case, it's acceptance. Mrs RJS won't come near me when I get home until I've had a shower. All kit is washed after a single use (to and from work, or one weekend ride). A bit like mothballs for drafting fairies.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I've recently discovered that virgin coconut oil is very effective deoderant...something to do with the lauric acid in it which is a potent anti-bacterial agent...:)
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    check this stuff out it works on the clothing that seems to smell no matter how many times its washed, probably cures cheesy helmets and quaver stinky gloves too
    http://www.germwarfare.co.uk/products/l ... wash.phuse
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    moonio wrote:
    I've recently discovered that virgin coconut oil is very effective deoderant...something to do with the lauric acid in it which is a potent anti-bacterial agent...:)

Do you mean it has deoderant properties when you eat it?

Would be a bit expensive to buy for use as a deoderant.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    "Worked from home" on friday so got out of my usual routine, rode in this morning to find no keggs, socks or shoes in my locker, so sat here commando in my spud's which despite half a can of deodorant stink! :oops:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    moonio wrote:

Buy from where!! Names, locations :)