I've built endurance now want to improve overall speed/times

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
Hi All,

After just completing my first (and not last) Ironman, I think I've got a good aerobic and endurance base to work on. I can ride either my road or Tri bike at a consistent pace for up to six hours and have noticed significant improvements in both how I feel towards the end of a ride and how much more I have in the tank for the run split. I find it much easier to hit stay within the required HR zones too. Basically, after putting in the miles and some structured turbo and road sessions things are going in the right direction (or at least in my head they are :D )

I know it's only August (still Summer) but I'm already setting my sights on next year and, sorry to swear, how to approach my Winter training.

Don't get me wrong my bike splits have improved quite a lot this year but it seems I'm never able to find that extra gear and pull off anything more than a quite average time.

I don't have a power metre, nor the funds to buy one. As far as training aids, I have a turbo trainer and HRM with all the functions I should need. I've been fitted on both my bikes and am happy with their set up. IMO my kit is perfect, I've got no excuses.

I'm not looking for a quick fix or recommendations on buying aero this and that. I just want some honest tips and advice on how best to improve my times through training. I've got a lot of time to prepare for next season and want to use it wisely. I've done a lot of searching on both this forum and other online training sources but there's quite a lot of info out there and I'm not sure which strategy to follow.

Oh, and next year my longest 'race' will be a half ironman. I'll also be doing some 10 mile TT's (want to go sub 24 mins for the first time) and will be giving some 25's a go.

I hope this doesn't seem to be a 'Which saddle is best?' question. With more experience of structured training programs. I'm sure I'll learn what works for me and what doesn't. I've been riding and doing tri's for a few years now but have only just started to takes things a little more seriously.

Thanks in advance
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    in order to ride faster - you must ride faster...

Sounds obvious, but there we are. Having said that, I wouldn't be thinking about building speed work into a training regime at this time of year - especially if you are planning on working towards form for next season.