spitting and nose flooching

Comments

• Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I do the nose thing (mainly right nostril) as I find if I don't, it interferes with the old breathing. I am considerate about it though and tend to only do it when not pedalling and coming slowly up to traffic lights in a road-facing direction.

Oh & if you do spot me, I will likely have my mouth open, probably gormless looking. 2 reasons

1) Breathe in through (clear) nose, exhale through mouth

2) Trap for errant flies for protein on the ride - why spit them out?
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    mcj78 wrote:
    What if you're riding in dusty/smoggy inner cities & need to, ahem, "clear a frog from your throat" so to speak? Would you realistically expect everyone to deposit said offending throat detritus into a tissue you presummably are holding in one hand, whilst using your free hand to navigate through heavy traffic at speed?

Or dispose of said detritus into your stomach?

Urgh - afraid i'm not a swallower, that would most probably result in my breakfast being deposited onto the road as well :shock:

I'll continue to use discretion & pretend it didn't happen - you didn't see me, therefore I didn't do it. :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've been "got" several times, including twice by the same guy (fixed rider on Embankment who likes wearing club kit, riding on the pavement and shouting at other road users). I don't really have a problem with people doing it if they've had a good check behind first, but plenty of people don't bother.

For myself, I get by perfectly well with a bit of swallowing and wiping my nose on my glove. (Before anyone says that's disgusting, it's better to get snot on my own kit than someone else's...)

Living in constant fear of collecting a glowing fag butt. Hasn't happened yet, but have had some near misses...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    mcj78 wrote:
    What if you're riding in dusty/smoggy inner cities & need to, ahem, "clear a frog from your throat" so to speak? Would you realistically expect everyone to deposit said offending throat detritus into a tissue you presummably are holding in one hand, whilst using your free hand to navigate through heavy traffic at speed?

This, and you can use a tissue at the next red light which will inevitably be along shortly. Also back of the glove/sleeve works fine - it's going in the wash anyway and as TGOTB says, at least you know where it's been.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Yup - I snork and snail trail whenver the nose starts to run - the clothes get washed between rides anyway, so it just seems easiest
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mcj78
    rjsterry wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

This, and you can use a tissue at the next red light which will inevitably be along shortly. Also back of the glove/sleeve works fine - it's going in the wash anyway and as TGOTB says, at least you know where it's been.

So, if on your way to work you cough up something that looks like it may belong on a lillypad, and you have no tissues to hand, you would happily deposit it onto your sleeve?

Again, i'll stick to discretion & deposit at the side of the road - I usually aim for the nearest drain as it's not a pleasant thing for someone to come across on their morning stroll, but given the abundancy of dog "eggs", broken bottles, fag ends & vomit that litter the queen's highways these days I don't feel i'm behaving too outlandishly.

j
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • rjsterry
    mcj78 wrote:
    So, if on your way to work you cough up something that looks like it may belong on a lillypad, and you have no tissues to hand, you would happily deposit it onto your sleeve?

I'd probably swallow something that large (maybe with a grimace) - sleeves are just for runny noses. I still await the joy of a full unstifled sneeze in my face mask :shock:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mcj78
    rjsterry wrote:
    I still await the joy of a full unstifled sneeze in my face mask :shock:

haha, I did that recently whilst snorkeling - not pleasant :o
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Leave the spitting to the footballers.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rjsterry wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

I'd probably swallow something that large (maybe with a grimace) - sleeves are just for runny noses. I still await the joy of a full unstifled sneeze in my face mask :shock:

Heehee saw a guy sneeze wearing a facemask the other day. Thought 'ewwwww, sucker'.

:lol::lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    rjsterry wrote:
    mcj78 wrote:

Heehee saw a guy sneeze wearing a facemask the other day. Thought 'ewwwww, sucker'.

:lol::lol:

Apart from the breathing restrictions this is another reason I decided to discontinue my use of face masks, at the end of my commute, below the mask was a mess of spit, sweat and snot all over my face and the inside of the mask... :shock:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • OMG I think I may have just spewed a little.

:shock:
  • Headhuunter
    OMG I think I may have just spewed a little.

Yes. Better out (on the road, my shoulder, my arm etc) than in (the mask) as the saying goes...
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Think of the humiliation you can inflict on someone by taking out a hanky and blowing into it while passing them.

I propose at least a +1 on the FCN for riding hanky-equipped.
  • mcj78

Did you spit it out, or deposit it into a tissue? :)
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • mcj78 wrote:

Deposited it in my stomach. :)
  • mcj78
    mcj78 wrote:

:shock: eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, respect.
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Headhuunter
    mcj78 wrote:

So you just returned it from whence it came?
  • mcj78 wrote:

Well, actually I was mostly just being melodramatic. Your mask thing was really bloomin' disgusting though.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I snot rocket. Sorry, but I produce a lot of the stuff and for any kind of long ride I'd need a box of kleenex man-size rather than than one of those 'handy' pocket packs. I do wait until there's no bugger else close by as I'm aware it bothers people.

I do not spit.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Headhuunter
    mcj78 wrote:

Well, actually I was mostly just being melodramatic. Your mask thing was really bloomin' disgusting though.

Yeah I gave up on masks pretty quickly! Also you can't actually communicate with people whilst wearing the mask. I haven't got a bell on my my bike and rely on yelling "watch out" or "coming through" when pedestrians step out in front of me...
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    NGale wrote:
    I think the people of Toronto might be a little agreived at the thought that 'spitting in the street doesn't matter' after all it was that habbit by a section of the community there which saw SARS spread as quickly as it did.

For me it is a habbit with grosses me out, I can't stand spitting on the football field (players who know me well enough know it makes me urge) and I especially can't stand it in the street, it's bad manners.

As LiT has said, carry a packet of tissues and dispose of your bodily fluids properly!

I believe that the no spitting rules (including in the UK - on public transport) were originally aimed at combating the spread of TB.
  • Best thing to do, is to blow nose into hand and then either wipe in your hair if not wearing a helmet or eat it.

No risk of hitting someone else then.
  • rjsterry
    There's Something About Woodford2Barbican.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    rjsterry wrote:
    There's Something About Woodford2Barbican.
    Says The Mask wearer ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Fair point.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Headhuunter
    Best thing to do, is to blow nose into hand and then either wipe in your hair if not wearing a helmet or eat it.

No risk of hitting someone else then.

Now that really is revolting
  • mcj78 wrote:

Strangely aroused.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Headhuunter
    mcj78 wrote:

Strangely aroused.

OK. Right. Time to let this thread die methinks...
  • Sorry... :oops:
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra